Cold Warriors

Eric

On September 8, 2017 at 10:09 PM, Eric said:

One of my favorite light bomber/attack aircraft of all time is the FB-111. I love this bird. The low-level terrain-following RADAR and autopilot system was said to be a truly terrifying ride and an incredible capability for a penetration bomber like the 111.

F-111_Red_Flag_09.thumb.jpg.71a20ce71aecb65bed9752c47744e1d4.jpg

image001.thumb.jpg.cd5a319d055278b0e2a1a3f4ac291931.jpg

When the Australians went with the F111, my step dad got transferred down under to lead the training team. He says it was the highlight of his Air Force career.

There is actually a nice display in their Air Force museum dedicated to him. The display also has the F111/Kangaroo hybrid models that the Aussies presented him when his completed the project.

IMG_6606.JPG

Edited by jmohme
Add picture
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Eric said:

Of all the weapons choices we made over the years, the one that made the least amount of sense to me is the fact that we never made our own version of the RPG. The LAW rocket isn't a fair replacement for it, nor is the AT4. We could have really used a hard hitting, inexpensive weapon like that. I'll never understand why we didn't build one. 

Me either, but then I guess neither you or I had enough clusters on our collars for that decision. :D

• Haha 1

• Administrators

My oldest brother was a Nike-Hercules nuclear-tipped Surface-to-Air missile system, that went into service back in the 1950s. it was still in use at least through the early 1980s. I don't know when it was discontinued. The missiles could also be used as a ground attack nuke missile, in its secondary mode of operation. Something about the idea of nuclear-tipped SAM's makes my freaking skin crawl.

MIM-14_Nike-Hercules_02.jpg.dd3d2b75747b188fe7aa5f2653ce0d42.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2