My Good-Bad Car Week

Eric

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Kinda at that point where you say "well, fvck, looks like I'm actually doing this now......" :anim_lol:

Pretty much. Now that the car is open, Mother Nature’s minions want to move in.  I’ve got to get it back together quickly, or it will get overrun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tous said:

Finished product might look good in Grabber Orange.

Sort of a tribute to a 1970 Maverick.

Just add a spoiler and hood scoops to control that awesome power of the 200 CI six.

:biggrin:

Gloss black.  Show how confident he is in his bodywork.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, tous said:

Finished product might look good in Grabber Orange.

Sort of a tribute to a 1970 Maverick.

Just add a spoiler and hood scoops to control that awesome power of the 200 CI six.

:biggrin:

It would look good in orange, but color changes are a PITA and I’m already getting sick of staring at this ******* car.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I am also really tired of bleeding. I must have a dozen small, but nasty cuts, including a missing divot from a brief contact with the side of a spinning cut-off wheel. I forgot how many sharp edges there are when a car is pulled apart this way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tous said:

No, don't chop-top the roof like one of those beaners, don't paint any idiotic flames on it like some white trash hillbilly, and don't put a big, gay spoiler on the rear end like you see on all the other zipperheads' cars. It just looks like hell.

4 hours ago, Eric said:

It would look good in orange, but color changes are a PITA and I’m already getting sick of staring at this ******* car.  

The point of view is determined by whether the money for the repairs is going into your pocket, or coming out of your pocket.

A body shop doesn't care how long it takes.  When it's yours, you always care!

Good luck on a nice job.

• Like 2

Did the other guy have insurance?

Most if not all the property damage wrecks involving me the other person had no liability insurance... and likely nothing of value to attach.

Increasingly making me a believer in no fault insurance. I buy insurance it pays me without regard to fault. You don’t buy insurance you don’t get paid, also without regard to fault. Lawyers would hate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I’m not sure yet. The officer couldn’t find any insurance for the guy in the database, but the guy insists that the truck is insurance through the finance company. I guess I’ll find out Weds. 

Finance companies insist upon collusion and comprehensive insurance to protect their investment. Liability - why should they care?

We just went through this in Oct. My wife got hit by a guy with no insurance and an expired license. He just bought his car a month ago. We ended up using collision and uninsured motorist on our policy. $500 deductible for us but being in the collision industry I made that back and then some on the repair. Our insurance company turned him into collections for the claim but as they say, you can't get blood from a stone. Since his car is no longer driveable he'll likely stop making payments on it and the finance company will take it in the rear when they repo it. Cop at the scene wrote him a handful of citations and sent him on his way. Aggravating ordeal from beginning to end. Hope you have better luck. 

Likely illegal alien as well...

• Administrators

All the demo is done and I am almost finished fitting the first replacement panel. This is one of two panels that have to be fitted and seam welded somewhere. Everything else should just weld into place with plug welds. 

3841B2A6-0FE8-4D51-A85A-44C28BF0DA1B.thumb.jpeg.e752444a9d7a72b72e8a49b241d23341.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, Eric said:

Well, the car has progressed very slowly, but it is in primer now.

D92219BE-53C0-4356-8C33-11266995A0AB.jpeg

DFC3A628-5B16-41C3-8785-9DDDCD80BB18.jpeg

It looks good!  I commend you for taking on a big project and seeing it through.

Having done this myself, it's no mean task to accomplish without professional facilities!

You could make a decent living if you threw away your other successes and went into body work...…………… (that's a joke son!)

• Like 1

In another thread, I was pondering a replacement for Little Sorrow, my Civic.

I've decided that Little Sorrow probably has another year left at least so I decided to repair the car and shelve the discussion, but the Nissan Altimas and Maximas really caught my attention.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:26 PM, janice6 said:

In my state uninsured motorist and no-fault is a requirement.   At least, it's better than nothing.  The only way I found out who was determined to be at fault when my last car was totaled, was when I didn't have a deductible to pay.  The Insurance companies work out the details between themselves.

I'm actually amazed that the finance company let this weinerschnizle that hit Eric's car finance a vehicle without insurance.  Every vehicle I've ever financed, the bank REQUIRED full coverage be maintained.  T'was not an option.

Were I BGH I would at least consider suing the other driver for the damages.  You'd probably just get his vehicle but .....

Cost might be more than you'd get though.  

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1