Food Thread

Sprout

I’ve been doing a lot more of the cooking lately and using our cast iron skillet. I made steaks in it the other night for the first time. Seared both sides on the cook top and then finished off in the oven, let it rest for a few minutes and it turned out a perfect medium. Probably the best steak we’ve ever had at home. 

A5FF614C-129E-46B9-82E4-669E268DCF9D.jpeg

• Like 8

We have also started making “skillet pizza.” This was the first attempt and just plain cheese. I think we have it dialed in now and have started adding toppings. For some reason food just tastes better when it’s cooked in cast iron. My next venture is to start saving bacon grease. 

52842E36-6C4B-4867-A464-BBCAA22A2174.jpeg

• Like 5

Just now, Sprout said:

We have also started making “skillet pizza.” This was the first attempt and just plain cheese. I think we have it dialed in now and have started adding toppings. For some reason food just tastes better when it’s cooked in cast iron. My next venture is to start saving bacon grease. 

52842E36-6C4B-4867-A464-BBCAA22A2174.jpeg

I have one of those skillets and I do save my bacon grease... 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sprout said:

I’ve been doing a lot more of the cooking lately and using our cast iron skillet. I made steaks in it the other night for the first time. Seared both sides on the cook top and then finished off in the oven, let it rest for a few minutes and it turned out a perfect medium. Probably the best steak we’ve ever had at home. 

A5FF614C-129E-46B9-82E4-669E268DCF9D.jpeg

To each his own but I'd like that steak a lot better if it were rare to medium rare,  just seared on both sides and not put in the oven. Remember that if you ever have me over for dinner.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Borg warner said:

To each his own but I'd like that steak a lot better if it were rare to medium rare,  just seared on both sides and not put in the oven. Remember that if you ever have me over for dinner.

I’ll remember that ?. It’s funny how tastes change as you age. I used get steak medium well and like I said we like it medium now. I don’t mind if it’s on the “pinker” side. Maybe I’ll get to medium rare someday. 

Chuck roast ,seared both sides over hot coals on cast iron griddle then 30 minutes cherry wood smoke + 30 minutes in foil then rest 10 minutes . Most tender steak / roast ever at medium ( my wife will not go less )14906f720f3ced29c43a6c64ab5b49f3.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Presguy said:

If you're ever looking for something tasty and easy to make in a cast iron dutch oven, try just about any recipe for soda bread. Easy and fast to make and a great completment to lots of main courses. Plus,  with the possible exception of buttermilk, you probably have the ingredients on hand already.

Do you have a soda bread recipe that you recommend?

16 hours ago, Sprout said:

I’ll remember that ?. It’s funny how tastes change as you age. I used get steak medium well and like I said we like it medium now. I don’t mind if it’s on the “pinker” side. Maybe I’ll get to medium rare someday. 

It's good that you're tastes are evolving. Keep up the good work. My tastes haven't changed, I've always liked my steaks nice and pink on the inide. Prime rib isn't any good unless it's pink.  Beef reaches a certain point where if it's over cooked it loses it's flavor and gets dried out. The more towards rare it is, the more juicy it is, but you don't want it to be undercooked either.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, crockett said:

Just a salad for today.

Baby arugula, Campari tomatoes, red onion, avocado with an olive oil / toasted sesame oil / lime juice / aged balsamic vinegar dressing.

Img-0971.jpg

That looks really good but I would add some more leafy greens, maybe spinach. I really like arugula which the Australians call "Rocket". It's easy to grow and is a perennial and will come back every year. I like the red onions but I also like Walla Walla or Vidalia sweet onions. I live in Washington state so I get the Walla Walla onions locally when they are in season but haven't tried to grow them. When I live in southern California I never bought aAvacados in the store. I always knew someone who had a tree and some of those trees were pretty big.

That salad would be good with some crumbled bits of crispy bacon as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...