Anyone prefer the new nDLC coating?

fortyofforty

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 8:28 PM, Boogieman said:

Nope.  My Favorite are the Gen 3 made from about 2004 to about 2007.  Old school tenifer with the frying pan finish.

Maybe the current generation Glocks have a finish that sucks, but I haven't looked at any of them to be able to comment, but I doI have a gen2 G22, a gen3 G19, and a gen 4 G20. I set them side by side and can't see enough difference between any of the three to say one is preferable over the other. So what the heck is this much talked about "frying pan" finish?

At least none of them are nickel plated sissy pistols.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:12 PM, jmohme said:

So what the heck is this much talked about "frying pan" finish?

At least none of them are nickel plated sissy pistols.

Frying Pan finish on the right.  Has some texture to it...

See the source image

And on the left...

See the source image

• Like 1

Regardless of Tenifer, the “frying pan” or “orange peel” finish seemed to be phased out in early-mid 2013. The grey, battleship type finish seemed to supplant it. Seems to scratch easier IMO. 

I like the new Gen5 finish I just hate the ambi slide-stop. 

• 8 months later...
8 minutes ago, Toomanyguns said:

When Minie` invented the cylindrical bullet the military laughed at him and continued the use ball ammo for eleven more years.

I'm pretty sure Glock knows what they are doing.

Give it time boys.

I'm sure Glock will meet the environmental requirement issues with their finishing process.  Is it better?  Give it time!

• Thanks 1

OK my black 43x which is the same finishing process as the silver. Has been holstered and draw 75 plus times in kydex. It has been holstered up against my sweaty waist out doing construction for two weeks now. Finish still looks new. I put an EDC thru in a week what most guys will in a year.

• 1 month later...

I have 2 G19s- a Gen 3 with Tennifer (which I LOVE), and a gen 5 which sits holstered in the wife's nightstand. Guess which one is all scratched up? Not the one I carry at least once a week.

Maybe the new finishing process is better. But then I have to accept those crappy, scratchy grips. I'd love a brand new 43 to carry in the summertime, but I'll probably take a hot iron to the grips.

If I were going to carry an itty-bitty 9mm, I am would jump off the Glock bandwagon and wait for the Springfield Hellcat to come down in price.  It seems people can't get enough of them, and what you can find is going for a premium.  Soon, the market will get filled with them and they will be affordable.  Meanwhile, while the trend for 14 rounds of 9mm in the most compact format made so far, it is going to be expensive.  But, that seems to be the way with all new firearms.  They are the bees-knees, until they become common and the price becomes more reasonable. 

• 5 months later...

Well my opinion is if your this worried about finish when purchasing your firearm then you probably should carry you a purdy little flashy gun. That is absolutely the last thing on my mind because my last chat with Glock they will fix the finsh free of charge for you and not to mention who the heck buys a Glock to sit in a drawer they are made to be carried and unless u work for some pillow company testing all the latest and greatest My Pillows I got news for yah they are going to get scratches and me personally encourage them atleast if someone happens to see my gun they know I carry it and don’t sit there and baby it and pull it out on lunch break making sure that all my sweat and whatever is wiped off it clean and putting a spit shine on it. Lol

On 11/18/2018 at 4:42 PM, Borg warner said:

"I like the new Gen5 finish I just hate the ambi slide-stop. "

glk ambi slide stop.jpg

Does the right side slide stop lever interfere with something? I don't own a Gen 5. In fact, I have never even held one, so I really don't know.

• 3 months later...

All I care about is metal treatment. Any handgun I carry will have a worn finish. By carry that entails copious amounts of practice, bolstering, etc. if the metal is treated properly and you treat the pistol properly, rust won’t be an issue. ‘Not sure about you but I sweat in the summer and am currently training a 10-month old Black Lab Female to Duck hunt. We get wet every other day at the Lake. I am frequently field stripping and going over the parts of whatever pistol I happen to have on with a blow dryer and then wiping down.  Here’s one of them that gets carried a lot. My 2014 Gen. 3 Glock 23 had a lot of holster wear but never rusted. Now my youngest son is of legal age and it’s his. My 2011 Gen. 4 Glock 22 has the Frying Pan finish and doesn’t show much wear. My Walther PPS M2 is carried and abused and has wear on the high points.   

42AF9B9D-C528-4DF8-85C8-21C8CDA84276.jpeg

575E9F11-21DB-4655-902F-2F1387F51DC6.jpeg

2433FB20-BB47-49A4-8E8E-9403A981408F.jpeg

I have a couple of barrels with DLC on them. It works well in resisting corrosion as does hard chrome and a few other finishes. While the salt water spray tests can provide interesting results, unless you are the Gorton's Fisherman and frequently carry a gun on deck while fishing the North Atlantic, or routinely swim with your Glock, HK, Sig, S&W etc, than you are unlikely to expose your gun to a 20 hour salt water spray equivalent much less a 200 hour equivalent.

No matter what treatment or finish your gun has some occasional preventative maintenance is a good thing. A friend of mine* took his Kimber Ultra something or other kayaking on San Pablo Bay and SF Bay a few times. It didn't need maintenance because it was in a dry bag and had a super dooper finish and a stainless slide. He ended up with corrosion in the barrel bore that was growing what looked like iron oxide fur.  

*This is a guy who likes guns and likes to shoot guns. He does not like to clean guns or otherwise maintain them and doesn't even know how to field strip at least half of his 20 or more guns. A good finish is nice to have, but so is a bit of owner responsibility IMO. YMMV.

Edited by 26isbest

On 11/18/2018 at 8:49 AM, fortyofforty said:

One of the biggest selling points of GLOCKS, to me, was the understanding that it cannot rust.  No matter what you did to it, the Tenifer protected the steel.  Are the newer finishes as protective?  I haven't heard any definitive word.

Oh, they can rust. It isn't likely to, but they need care when exposed to sweat or water.

• Like 1