BACON (Buying)

DAKA

29 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Just curious

When you buy bacon, do you examine all the packages to find which is BACON WITH FAT , and REJECT the FAT WITH BACON?

Seems to be harder to find packages that are mostly MEAT and not as much FAT

Probably one of the things that's gonna help kill me....Exactly opposite.  I look for a like...60-40 Split.  60% being fat.  Sometimes, I'll even go 70-30. Lately I've taken to buying the "Pre-cooked" bacon in Costco's.  May be I'm just Lazy, but it's actually damn good!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crockett said:

Yes, I try to get a pack with less fat, and when I bake it in the oven, I cut excessive fat off.

I go through ALL the packages ....THICK SLICED (the regular is like paper thin) cut off the fatty ends, MICROWAVE ON PAPER TOWELS (No mess)....

BACON     BACON    BACON..............:worthy:

• Like 4

Thick cut, hickory smoked, peppered. Reasonably low fat, I don't know the percentage, but the pan doesn't have much in it after cooking up whole five pound package.

I'm going to try making my own again one of these days. Gotta' get the big smoker finished first.

I like a bacon that is a little fattier and when we cook bacon we always cook it in the oven, on a rack. Then a good portion of that fat is rendered and we save it all for seasoning and for cooking eggs in and a multitude of other cooking uses. I prefer Hormel Black Label or I go to the local butcher and get him to slice it from a belly that I pick. Hormel has a black pepper variety that I like occasionally and they have a Jalapeño variety that my wife prefers. We always cook a pound at a time, she likes to cook two since the oven is on and we grind one pound to put in grits and mac & cheese and on baked potatoes and ... damn, now I want bacon. 

Bacon - Cooked Crumbled Bacon.jpg

Bacon - Deviled Eggs.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I like a bacon that is a little fattier and when we cook bacon we always cook it in the oven, on a rack. Then a good portion of that fat is rendered and we save it all for seasoning and for cooking eggs in and a multitude of other cooking uses. I prefer Hormel Black Label or I go to the local butcher and get him to slice it from a belly that I pick. Hormel has a black pepper variety that I like occasionally and they have a Jalapeño variety that my wife prefers. We always cook at a pound at a time, she likes to cook two since the oven is on and we grind one pound to put in grits and mac & cheese and on baked potatoes and ... damn, now I want bacon. 

Bacon - Cooked Crumbled Bacon.jpg

Bacon - Deviled Eggs.jpg

Oven baked........... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Like 2

i like my Bacon on the Leaner side, but also Fatty because i don`t like it super crisp i like it a little floppy.

but i will eat it crisp if that's how its given to me.

basically i`ll eat whatever Bacon is put in front of me or in front of someone else if they are too slow.

Edited for Content...

i haven't bought much Bacon since i found Johnsonville Sausage Strips.

but when i do its Thick cut Apple wood smoked or Maple Bacon.

when i lived in MPLS the Lunds Butcher was my Bacon Pusher.

• Like 3

I know I am the odd duck here, but I really don't care for bacon.

To me it is just fatty smoked pork.

I think it is that we used to make our own bacon when I was a lad, and nothing than I find in the grocery store remotely compares to what we used to make ourselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1