Avoiding automatic restarts -- Windows --> Linux?

Brad

Wow, fun morning with Windows 10. MS Surface. I was giving a 50 minute lecture in one of my classes using zoom. Five minutes into the class, my screen darkens and it says Windows will restart in two minutes. The only option was "OK"! I had to leave 16 students sitting there in an intermission until I was able to restart and fire up zoom. Lost about ten minutes overall.

Over the years, I've lost data a decent number of times from coming back online and seeing that it restarted while I was gone. I use programs other than MS Word, etc. that have autorecovery options that usually work at times like that.

I realize there are some settings for this stuff, but Windows seems to ignore them and does whatever the hell it want.

I F!*#(&$@ HATE this crap!.

Does Linux do this? I'm looking for an excuse to change anyway.

• Thanks 1

I understand that Linux will only update the system when you ask.  Problem comes in that you never know when an update is available so you just need to check on a schedule.

"Linux" trainee...  changing computers and phone over to Linux....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brad said:

Wow, fun morning with Windows 10. MS Surface. I was giving a 50 minute lecture in one of my classes using zoom. Five minutes into the class, my screen darkens and it says Windows will restart in two minutes. The only option was "OK"! I had to leave 16 students sitting there in an intermission until I was able to restart and fire up zoom. Lost about ten minutes overall.

Over the years, I've lost data a decent number of times from coming back online and seeing that it restarted while I was gone. I use programs other than MS Word, etc. that have autorecovery options that usually work at times like that.

I realize there are some settings for this stuff, but Windows seems to ignore them and does whatever the hell it want.

I F!*#(&$@ HATE this crap!.

Does Linux do this? I'm looking for an excuse to change anyway.

Windows was forcing an update on you. You can stop ALL updates by doing EVERY step in the manual below. Keep in mind that safety patches won't be installed anymore. I do this with all Win 10 computers and stay safe by:

- using a hardware firewall

- not opening any email attachments from people I don't know

- not opening any email attachments besides PDF, JPG and PNG from people I do know, including no word or excel docs (can have macro viruses)

- not visiting questionable website that may be hacked and spreading malware

- only installing software from well known companies

- not using any USB or other drives from other people

https://www.maketecheasier.com/stop-windows10-forced-updates/

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

Depends.

You can tell a windows ten machine not to run udpates or do them at a certain time.

Click Windows, settings (the thing that looks like a cog), select Updates and Security.   Inside here you have the ability to schedule the restart. 
Under change active hours...you can tell it to find a time to install and reboot when you are least likely to use the computer.
You can turn it off with a powershell command.

However,  if your computer is owned by your employer and they have your computer as part of their network...it is possible to have a group policy that forces your computer to do what the administrators want.   
If that's the case then your computer will do what they demand.  For example, i have to reboot because of anti-virus udpates shortly.

Linux?   Generally speaking you have to ask it to update.  But you could have it set to automatically download and update.  

None of the Linux servers i work with download on their own...

One solution is to run your Windows updates before class starts.  That's what i do if i have a presentation to give or something important.

• Like 1

Windows can be set to restart an a given time frame. I have never see one forced at the moment.

Linux Distros's are very good and I liked Ubuntu, a lot. Still there are things it doesn't support. If you don't go there, then no problem. It also isn't for someone who is inactive in the process. You have a lot more to keep up with in the Linux department that is behind the scenes with Windows. If it is something Linux feels is critical, you will experience the same download and restart. It may not even ask.

Updates, even the annoying ones, are at times important to the OS. It could have been distributing a critical malware, or other remedy that would have left you dead in the water had it not updated and you ran across it. I wonder how terrible W10 would have been if that were to happen to you.

Mine has never once tried to restart when I told it not to. It has given messages that an update was critical and should be restarted as soon as possible.

Happy Obsessing

• Like 1

OK, maybe I should calm down and try harder to take control of what Windows is doing with this. 

My current idea is to go under Update & Security then Advanced Options and pause updates until specific times on a Saturday morning. Give it all weekend to do updates. Set a calendar reminder to re-pause the updates on Monday morning.

On 2/8/2021 at 4:33 PM, Historian said:

...Click Windows, settings (the thing that looks like a cog), select Updates and Security.   Inside here you have the ability to schedule the restart. 
Under change active hours...you can tell it to find a time to install and reboot when you are least likely to use the computer.
You can turn it off with a powershell command. ...

This is what kills me. I had already specified the Active Hours to be 8 am to 5 pm. In that window, it says "We won't automatically restart your device during this time."

It was 9:05 am when the box popped up there and said "will restart in 2 minutes" with no option on the window other than "OK."

This is the kind of crap I was whining about. (LOL)

On 2/8/2021 at 4:21 PM, crockett said:

Windows was forcing an update on you. You can stop ALL updates by doing EVERY step in the manual below. Keep in mind that safety patches won't be installed anymore. I do this with all Win 10 computers and stay safe by:

- using a hardware firewall

- not opening any email attachments from people I don't know

- not opening any email attachments besides PDF, JPG and PNG from people I do know, including no word or excel docs (can have macro viruses)

- not visiting questionable website that may be hacked and spreading malware

- only installing software from well known companies

- not using any USB or other drives from other people

https://www.maketecheasier.com/stop-windows10-forced-updates/

I used the Pause option in the article. Not sure I feel comfortable trying to perform some of the other options.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brad said:

This is what kills me. I had already specified the Active Hours to be 8 am to 5 pm. In that window, it says "We won't automatically restart your device during this time."

It was 9:05 am when the box popped up there and said "will restart in 2 minutes" with no option on the window other than "OK."

This is the kind of crap I was whining about. (LOL)

I get it.  I've seen things like this happen.

Is it a company computer?  If so they may have a policy that over rules yours.

Check this link out.  I would use the group policy editor first over the registry entry but both should work if you have rights to change these things.  I believe editing the group policy changes this registry value.  This article is from 2018 but it appears valid still, My GP editor and registry both are just like they say.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-updates-restart-disable

I'm not fluent on the Surface. My dad has one his company bought. He says it does flaky things at times. I don't think hes turned it on in several years. No the company didn't get into the machine, they just paid for it because everyone at the time was getting them for sales departments and they got such a good deal on them they bought in. They didn't buy in to the control though. Most of the folks in sales at the time were in their 50's and later so they didn't enjoy the small screen that much for work. The Surface seemed to be a little flaky and slow for the needs of the staff.

I know the world seems to scream over the things.

• 3 weeks later...

Brad, I just had a thought. You said the update didn't give you a choice. I find that strange but it has happened, just not with the one this month.

Did the box in question look like this? Auto update notification on Windows 10

If so, restart now will do just that. OK is acknowledgement that you read the box and wish to continue and let it do it's thing during inactive hours, or the next time you restart. It doesn't show, but mine has an X in the top right, and will close the window and act the same as the OK button.

Just a thought.

Turning off updates on any OS isn't the best of ideas. Security patches, malicious program protection and removal, and several other things are important. You can turn off updates in Windows, as long as it isn't a critical update, and that will override the settings, because,,,,,,,,,,it is critical.

I see people whine that W10 is junk because ___________. and with some digging, it is almost always self inflicted, installing 10 on an incompatible machine but that one is fading out, or a machine build headache.

There are ways to put a fresh install on the machine and do away with most of the non-operational machine builder bloat. It can even be accomplished and keep most of your folders in tact, if you choose to try it on an older machine. I try to persuade people to spend an hour or two on their own benefit when getting a new machine, but don't know how many take the advice.

Like it or not, you must keep drivers and some other proprietary programs up to date. Windows and device builder type.

• 1 month later...