A parenting option

blueiron

4 hours ago, Mayhem like me said:

The kids more mature than the parents what kind of parents go away for a weekend by themselves and leave a discipline problem 14-year-old at home alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I thought that was odd.  Also odd that a kid that would do this is okay with the punishment and thinks it is fair.

He may have some odd psychological issues.

• Like 1

This kinda hippie bullshit is what happens when it's illegal to spank your kids. 14 is a bit old for that, but still.

One perspective is, that the stuff is not the kid's belongings. The parents bought it and supplied it to their little felon. Therefore, it is theirs to give away. I mighta let him keep the bed, but taken his door off the hinges. Seen a few parents take their kids' door, and that always mortifies the kids into being good for a while.

Unfortunately, I think 14 is too old to turn in to the fire station or the dog pound.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, syntaxerrorsix said:

I opted for not having kids in the first place.  Just doin' my part.

This is the correct answer!

Kids are sticky, they're expensive, and they break. I have never regretted not having kids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a bizarre punishment.  It bears no relation to the offense.  I mean, I've taken my kid's stuff when she didn't clean it up, because if you don't clean it up, you don't care about it and don't deserve to have it.  For joyriding, I'd have grounded the kid for a month, and postponed the kid getting his license for a year, and the kid would have had to give a free carwash to anyone in the neighborhood that wanted one, and personally apologized to all  neighbors.  The punishment should bear some relation to the crime.