My Kenworth took a dump

Was hauling snow yesterday. Looking forward to a long day. Everything was going good.....Was raising the box when the hydraulics gave out. I did some field checking and suspected a failed PTO or hydraulic pump. Took it to the shop. Well, it was BOTH. One failed and took the other out. In addition to replacing both of those expensive units. I get to buy a whole bunch of expensive transmission oil since when removing the pto, all the tranny oil comes out. ($50 per gallon)  I'll update with a total when it's done. 

Oh, and it's snowing again.

• Sad 4

57 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I get to buy a whole bunch of expensive transmission oil since when removing the pto, all the tranny oil comes out. ($50 per gallon)  I'll update with a total when it's done. 

I know the pain.  My Kubota tractor blew several of the front end loader hoses at the same time and dumped the hydraulic fluid.  We call Kubota Super UDT "Liquid Gold".  I know what it's like.....

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I drove a caterpillar loader at a salvage yard, in college.  (the kind that swivels in the middle) (with forks, it could carry four cars) (and it could back-over a car, and you wouldn't even know it.  really pisses off the boss)

A hydraulic line blew on it and soaked me, face and all,  in fluid that was waaaay hotter than you'd expect.

• Thanks 1

(we'd drive it down into "the pit",  where we threw all the old tires,  and knock down trees with it.  I once stuck it, sideways, on a slope that was a little too steep.  The tires on the uphill side were actually lifting off the ground.  If I turned the wheels uphill,  it would tilt more downhill.  If I turned the wheels downhill, it would tilt more downhill.

so I jumped off and ran and told the boss.

really pisses the boss off.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

What the hell kind of fluid costs $50/gallon????  I would bet this Valvoline ATF would work, it seems to meet every spec known to man.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-MaxLife-Multi-Vehicle-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Gallon/15125768

Synthetic oil for an 18 speed manual that experiences nearly 2000 pound feet of torque. Takes almost 4 gallons. Yeah, I'm not using Walmart anything in my KW.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Walt Longmire said:

Synthetic oil for an 18 speed manual that experiences nearly 2000 pound feet of torque. Takes almost 4 gallons. Yeah, I'm not using Walmart anything in my KW.

It is Valvoline not WalMart and it is synthetic but if it does not have the cert for your trans don't use it.  Looks at it like it is $12.50 quart rather than $50/gallon.

2k Ft/lbs. is handled by the gear size not magical fluid.

10 hours ago, astepup said:

You gotta love hydraulic hoses. They can't rupture in the spring or summer. Oh no! They're predisposed to blowing out in the dead of winter.

That made me smile.  That is the exact truth.  Or if it happens in the summer it's when you have a load of stone coming in in an hour and you need to clear some things out beforehand.  I've had that happen also.  Hydraulic Hoses are one of the Devil's tools.

Dave.

• Thanks 1

Look way down the street in the pic of my truck. That is Mt Redoubt in the background. An active volcano that has had 3 eruptive events since I moved here in 82. It sits way across Cook Inlet about 40 miles away. After my dealings with Mt St Helens, I'm o.k. with having the volcanoes in the distance rather than in the back yard. We have also had eruptions from Mt Spur which is somewhat closer, and Mt Augustine which is an island in the middle of lower Cook Inlet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Look way down the street in the pic of my truck. That is Mt Redoubt in the background. An active volcano that has had 3 eruptive events since I moved here in 82. It sits way across Cook Inlet about 40 miles away. After my dealings with Mt St Helens, I'm o.k. with having the volcanoes in the distance rather than in the back yard. We have also had eruptions from Mt Spur which is somewhat closer, and Mt Augustine which is an island in the middle of lower Cook Inlet.

Mt. St. Helens fascinated me as a kid. A real live volcano, not in some distant corner of the world. Seeing it for the first time, just a few years ago, as well as hearing first-hand experiences, changed my view. I eyeballed Rainier nervously the whole time I was in Seattle (when it was visible), and was a bit leery of flying between Iliamna and Augustine on an Alaskan trip a couple years ago. Redoubt was acting up on one of my first trips to AK, and there was talk of shutting down the airport a few days before I was supposed to come home.

I'd still like to get close enough to take decent pics of an eruption, but be relatively out of danger.

• Like 2

When St Helens first started acting up, we were logging in the low country between Toutle and Toledo. Had a perfect view of the mountain. Watch the first steam eruption. Then ash eruptions. Good views. Couldn't wait to move up high and watch it close. It had stopped with the eruptions by the time we moved up near it, and the bulging on the north face started. Our equipment was 4 miles out from the peak behind Coldwater Ridge. You know the rest of that story.

• Sad 1

On 2/8/2020 at 12:19 PM, Walt Longmire said:

Here is my KW getting a load from the old Oshkosh blower. We also have a Kodiak blower mounted on a Cat 950G. The Oshkosh is noisier, but most of us prefer to be loaded with it.

Snow haul 2016.jpg

This looks a lot like my snowblower but....bigger, yellow, 4 tires, a cab, windshield and wipers, doors....but I got a light and gears and a snout. 

• Haha 1