My Kenworth took a dump

are you an Independent Contractor or do you go through State or County?

some State and County Road Agents can go through the Locals and get a Discounted rate on Service or Maintenance parts.

i`ve been out of that sort of thing for sometime and i`m not sure how many places do that anymore.

Edited by holyjohnson
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, jmohme said:

That price, I assume you just stripped the splines on the pump and PTO. That's a whole lot better than shelling the pump and having to clean all the crap out of the hydraulic system!

That's exactly what happened. Took out the splines on the pto shaft and inside the pump. No collateral damage thankfully. That said, I'll be changing the filter on the hydraulic system after the next haul anyway. I was concerned about pto parts in the transmission as I was driving it from the job to the shop. 

Today I'm dealing with the frozen load in the box. It's inside my warm shop, so sometime today I'll back it out and dump it. Tried yesterday when I got home, but it had been outside several hours already and then drove 30 miles home in 10 degree weather. Stuck to the box. I tried getting Western with it, and hitting the Humper Dumper body vibrator but it was a no go.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

That's exactly what happened. Took out the splines on the pto shaft and inside the pump. No collateral damage thankfully. That said, I'll be changing the filter on the hydraulic system after the next haul anyway. I was concerned about pto parts in the transmission as I was driving it from the job to the shop. 

Today I'm dealing with the frozen load in the box. It's inside my warm shop, so sometime today I'll back it out and dump it. Tried yesterday when I got home, but it had been outside several hours already and then drove 30 miles home in 10 degree weather. Stuck to the box. I tried getting Western with it, and hitting the Humper Dumper body vibrator but it was a no go.

So, here's something that I used to do on my customers trucks.

Go to an auto parts store and get some of the grease that is used in CV joints on front wheel drive cars. Take your hydraulic pump loose and lube the splines with that. It's kind of a PITA, but if you do that ever few months, those splines will last a lot longer.

• Like 2