Why Can Everyone Shoot Better Than Me?

ede

I belong to several RimFire groups on FB and other web sites. Guys post  photos of multiple one hole groups at whatever distance shot with likes of a 10/22, Ruger PR, or CZ using run of the mill bulk ammo or CCI MiniMags.  I've got a few high end rifles I can't do that with shoot Eley or SK  ammo. What am I doing wrong?

• Like 1

They have finer muscle control, more stable nervous systems, and a larger measure of self confidence.  They may even shoot a lot more than you do.

However, it could also be that you don't give a damn how other people shoot.

Edited by janice6

7 hours ago, ede said:

I belong to several RimFire groups on FB and other web sites. Guys post  photos of multiple one hole groups at whatever distance shot with likes of a 10/22, Ruger PR, or CZ using run of the mill bulk ammo or CCI MiniMags.  I've got a few high end rifles I can't do that with shoot Eley or SK  ammo. What am I doing wrong?

Believing something you read on the Internet ?

:headscratch:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ede said:

It's an old trick! One shot on target, rest go over the top.

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2019 at 6:33 PM, ede said:

You're not lying?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 9/8/2019 at 6:33 PM, ede said:

You're not cherry-picking targets?  Seriously, though, you're not alone.  As much as I like shooting, I'm not all that good at it.  I see all the dime-sized groups and know good and well I can't do that.  For starters, my eyes just aren't what they used to be.

On 9/8/2019 at 6:58 PM, janice6 said:

As my daughters were gaining proficiency with firearms, they used to complain about their groupings in a pistol target at 25 feet. 

I told them to hold the target over their chest, and see how good they could shoot.  It's relative.

I can hear it now:  Turns to first daughter.  "Hold the target over your chest." Turns to other daughter. "No, you may not shoot at it right now."

• Haha 3

I shot UIT/ISSC handguns competitions pretty successfully for many years and have been a handgun coach in several private gun clubs and have been preparing newer and younger members for matches on state and national levels. One member of my old pistol club had made it to the olympic games and our club record was 299/300. I did okay with my Hammerli International in 208 configuration and a Gehmann tuned Walther GSP.

When I see targets on the internet, where people easily shoot better groups - offhand at 25 yards, with a two inch barreled .22 WMR and that all day long - than I and my fellow competitors can achieve with our pure bred match pistols, I know what to think. When I go to any gun range, I barely ever see anyone shooting a handgun more accurately than me. I am practicing a lot to stay proficient and over 70% of my training is dry firing or just practicing a quick draw from concealment nowadays and I scaled back from the 3,500 rounds I used to shoot per month.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Stop trying to be someone else. You are probably better than fine. If you shoot 100 rounds a month or two, you are probably in the top % of people who actually shoot and don't talk about it.

I listen to all kinds of "tiny group shooters" at our gun club. Some certainly are quite the marksmen, some are quite the talkers. The two usually aren't interchangeable.

I'm a very decent shot. I don't train or shoot like they do, even though they think I should. I don't say much, but keep doing my thing. I figure I have as much background as anyone, and there is only one person who will save my life should the rubber ever slap the sidewalk.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 7:33 PM, ede said:

You need to shoot more IN PERSON with some of those experts. Then you can learn a litany of excuses for why they can't do in person what they post on the internet.

PS, If it turns out they can pull it off, then watch what they do, and copy it.

Edited by Jack Ryan
  • Thanks 1

How many rounds do you shoot per month?  Do you train or do you plink?  Do you know where your rifle is shooting?

Every time I go to the range, regardless of the weapon I take, I start with a bench rest.  I will shoot 3 rounds, 3 times at the same target going thru my entire concentration process like I did when I was learning to shoot, whether I am using optic or open.  Where is my rifle shooting today?  I will stay with the bench rest until I can put 10 to 15 rounds in a row into a paper dessert plate (6" diameter?) at 35 to 50 yards.  I can spend an hour or more shooting 100 rounds working on my sight picture and trigger pull.

When I go free hand with my rifle, I start at 15 yards and work my way out to distance doing the same 10 - 15 round shot drill

I use clean thin cardboard to put my plate on so I can see where every shot goes.  I cover the holes with masking tape.

Attached is a photo of my practice session with the 10/22 Carbine I just built when I was sighting in the Holosun optic

I used a Hammers Precision V Yoke rest Mount on a camera monopod to shoot at 50 yards

50 yard sight in 2.jpg

Edited by windowasher
  • Like 1

Something else to consider,... some of these guys that can make the holes touch @ 100 yards are using sleds, powerful scopes, and very light triggers. When they shoot offhand, can't seem to hold a group at all.

Years ago, I could put three rounds in a quarter at 100 yards with most of my rifles and only one had a scope. These days, the eyes are failing and I am happy shooting minute of pie plate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1