Lucky passed away

Silentpoet

My Dog Lucky passed away about 30 minutes ago.  He was maybe 12 years old and a Standard Schnauzer.  He had not been eating for awhile.  We had surgery last Monday to pull some teeth that were bad, but that really didn't help.  We had been force feeding him some this week until he started throwing up Friday.  Today he was Cheynne Stokes Breathing and really weak.  I knew it was about time. 

Now I have to figure out how to take care of his body. 

Edited by Silentpoet
  • Sad 10

3 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

My Dog Lucky passed away about 30 minutes ago.  He was maybe 12 years old and a Standard Schnauzer.  He had not been eating for awhile.  We had surgery last Monday to pull some teeth that were bad, but that really didn't help.  We had been force feeding him some this week until he started throwing up Friday.  Today he was Cheynne Stokes Breathing and really weak.  I knew it was about time. 

Now I have to figure out how to take care of his body. 

My honest sympathy for losing a treasured family member.  God Bless.

• Like 4

My backyard is 'home' to many pets laid to rest.

Sorry for your loss, SP. I have two mini schnauzers that are getting up there. One is 12, the other 14. So far so good but I see them slowing down greatly.  One no longer hears and the younger had an eye removed a few months ago due to glaucoma. It's painful when their time comes. Not sure I'll do it again :(

Edited by Zonny
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Zonny said:

Sorry for you loss, SP. I have two mini schnauzers that are getting up there. One is 12, the other 14. So far so good but I see them slowing down greatly.  One no longer hears and the younger had an eye removed a few months ago due to glaucoma. It's painful when their time comes. Not sure I'll do it again :(

The love, joy and empathy, while engaging with a wonderful animal, is too precious to lose.  Keep trying and they will keep loving you.  Each time remember the love of the last time.  They feel it as much as you do.

All things pass.  It is another way of reminding you what wonderful memories they gave you.  The memories of each and every one last as long as you do.  Their presence is to be treasured and not overshadowed by their loss.

Please don't deprive a potential loving new family member of your love.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Zonny said:

Sorry for you loss, SP. I have two mini schnauzers that are getting up there. One is 12, the other 14. So far so good but I see them slowing down greatly.  One no longer hears and the younger had an eye removed a few months ago due to glaucoma. It's painful when their time comes. Not sure I'll do it again :(

Yes you will...  After i lost my last Border Collie, I said never again.  After under a year I was saying I got to do this again just one more time..... I got a beautiful rescue Border Collie...  For all my dogs one more time always came again and I think it will always be. 

Dave..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrB said:

Yes you will...  After i lost my last Border Collie, I said never again.  After under a year I was saying I got to do this again just one more time..... I got a beautiful rescue Border Collie...  For all my dogs one more time always came again and I think it will always be. 

Dave..

It's always a toss up, as to who got the better of the relationship. 

The person that gets love, devotion, and affection, or the animal that gets to know what it means to be cared for and loved by a devoted pack.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

It's always a toss up, as to who got the better of the relationship. 

The person that gets love, devotion, and affection, or the animal that gets to know what it means to be cared for and loved by a devoted pack.

The Pet of course...  You are the caretaker to see for their needs..  Your enjoyment comes from the smile and love they bring you....

Dave..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, janice6 said:

The love, joy and empathy, while engaging with a wonderful animal, is too precious to lose.  Keep trying and they will keep loving you.  Each time remember the love of the last time.  They feel it as much as you do.

All things pass.  It is another way of reminding you what wonderful memories they gave you.  The memories of each and every one last as long as you do.  Their presence is to be treasured and not overshadowed by their loss.

Please don't deprive a potential loving new family member of your love.

I know you're right. In my entire life, I can't remember a time I didn't have at least one dog. At times, three. I've had 2 live (healthfully) until age 18. There's been rescues, a few that came temporarily and never left ;), one that even earned a little paw print tat on my daughter's hip. We shall see...we shall see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zonny said:

I know you're right. In my entire life, I can't remember a time I didn't have at least one dog. At times, three. I've had 2 live (healthfully) until age 18. There's been rescues, a few that came temporarily and never left ;), one that even earned a little paw print tat on my daughter's hip. We shall see...we shall see.

Every time I go through the same anguish and vow to not have another animal so I won't have to experience the loss again.

Then I think of how wonderful it was to have them with me, and I do it again.

I could go through life without many people I know.  I can't imagine going through life without a critter.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Every time I go through the same anguish and vow to not have another animal so I won't have to experience the loss again.

Then I think of how wonderful it was to have them with me, and I do it again.

I could go through life without many people I know.  I can't imagine going through life without a critter.

Yep.....  That's life...  I've had so many and when I think not again ever.  Ever comes along again....

Dave..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Small animals can be buried in a back yard, contingent on how it is landscaped and the size of the lot. Larger dogs cannot easily be buried in 1/4 acre city housing lots.

I take my pets to the veterinarian and have them cremated. I get the ashes back and have a small place in my home office where they reside. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sad news Silentpoet.

We just lost our little buddy last Wed. Cancer is a cruel thing. We watched him waste away and used meds the last few months to try to keep his quality of life as good as possible. The time came when it looked like the pain outweighed the good. He would've been twelve next month. We got him from the shelter. This is Buster not long before he was diagnosed.

Buster03.jpg

Edited by TeaDub
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Guys, this thread hits hard. I'm sorry for all of your recent losses. Critters truly do become family.

Not exactly the same as the furry companions, but my 17 year old iguana passed away earlier this year. The house is quieter without his personality in it.

Interesting how pets make a house, a home.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I had an iguana.  Got him at Murphy Mart for $2 when he was 4" tip-to-tip.  I had him over 15 years, when we moved to Texas.  I moved out and Mom built him a 50'x50' outdoor cage.  He was over 7' by then and as big as a football, in the middle.

A veterinarian came one day to check her horses and he brought a 10 year old 'helper'.  The kid took a shine to the lizard (i don't think he ever had a name) and Mom gave it to him.  I heard it lived another five or seven years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My wife is going to neuter me when (not if) I come home with a new kitten.

But,  I won't go looking for it;  it'll find me.  It'll probably be scrawny and diseased and pitiful.

(Socks (his real name was Angel Chicken Socks (don't ask)  (T.S. Eliot) (aka: fatso, furwad, furball, jagoff, fatcat) was a barn cat that momma kicked out)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1