Argentina Invades The Falklands

Eric

• Administrators

On April 2, 1982, Argentina invades the Falklands Islands, a British colony since 1892 and British possession since 1833. Argentine amphibious forces rapidly overcame the small garrison of British marines at the town of Stanley on East Falkland and the next day seized the dependent territories of South Georgia and the South Sandwich group. The 1,800 Falkland Islanders, mostly English-speaking sheep farmers, awaited a British response.

The Falkland Islands, located about 300 miles off the southern tip of Argentina, had long been claimed by the British. British navigator John Davis may have sighted the islands in 1592, and in 1690 British Navy Captain John Strong made the first recorded landing on the islands. He named them after Viscount Falkland, who was the First Lord of the Admiralty at the time. In 1764, French navigator Louis-Antoine de Bougainville founded the islands’ first human settlement, on East Falkland, which was taken over by the Spanish in 1767. In 1765, the British settled West Falkland but left in 1774 for economic reasons. Spain abandoned its settlement in 1811...

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/argentina-invades-falklands

British-troops-during-the-Falklands-War-58efa48e3df78cd3fc83b5b9.jpg.79f6e5e17219612a208e07115aca2773.jpg

falklands-islands-1.thumb.jpg.d65a0adce396626666c210151a4fc9bf.jpg

685920791.jpg.8dea465147a404ed9e356a626f829ed9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After visiting the Falklands, I can see why they fought over it. The area is gorgeous.  I saw much of the battle ground and met a lot of locals - many who used their farm equipment (tractors and wagons) to help move British military equipment over many miles to get the soldiers where they needed to be. My wife and I both fell in love with the place & people.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Exocets are a bitch

So was Margaret Thatcher.  An absolute iron-balled bitch.  Which is a big reason why the Brits won.

That and new Sidewinder missles that were supposedly taken off of US jets and sent to the Brits, 

Edited by SC Tiger

How weird.

This has been an interest of mine, watching documentaries on it.

Then this morning, for no reason, I watched part of one of the documentaries again before heading out to work.

Remember H. Jones of the 2nd Battalion The Paras!!
Image result for h jones parachute regiment

Edited by M&P15T