Dune (2020) Has Started Filming

SC Tiger

18 hours ago, Citra47 said:

Maybe it's just me, but why - when the original movie was really well done by excellent actors - does Hollywood feel they have to remake the movie.  From my point of view, so many movies have been remade only to utterly fail in being any ware as good as the original movie.  What happened to all the writers in Hollywood?  They seem unable to come up with anything new that is worthwhile. 

Sometimes they can update the special effects and make the movie better.  I can see the temptation.  

But IMO, 99.9% of the time they should just make a different movie of the same type.

As to the writers - they got replaced with Comic Book guys apparently.

19 hours ago, KWalrad said:

Christ. There's nine hours if my life I'll never get back. I'd rather nail my testicles to the roof and jump off, then pour turpentine on the open wound than sit through that crap again. I'd like to give Peter Jackson 10,000 paper cuts and then push him into a pool full of lemon juice for making that ****. Friggin' walking dick with ears.

That is an oddly specific sequence of events you've dreamed up there.

57 minutes ago, MtnBiker said:

Didn't SteveO already do that stunt?

If he did, he should get a Darwin Award.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

Sometimes they can update the special effects and make the movie better.  I can see the temptation. 

I might take **** for this, but the 1st 1977 Star Wars movie could be re-done with better effects and sets.

And what'-his-face as Luke Skywalker was too Beta to be a Jedi to-be. Put someone tougher in that role, and make Vader even more psychotic. Make Princess Leigha a bit sluttier, Solo a bit wilder, and C3P0 a bit less fabulous.

The rest is just fine.

Edited by M&P15T
  • Like 3

• Administrators

I am a fan of the story.  I am also one of the few who really liked the original movie.  Perhaps because I was fairly young and for the time it was visually a cool film. 

I hope this movie is awesome. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

I am a fan of the story.  I am also one of the few who really liked the original movie.  Perhaps because I was fairly young and for the time it was visually a cool film. 

From what I remember, this is one movie that could benefit from a remake with better effects.  The scene on the gold-colored tilt-a-whirl (some sort of defensive weapon with 5-6 commanders watching what looked like Space Invaders on a small screen) at the end was particularly egregious.

I don't remember the whole movie but that part was a "WTF?" moment for me.

32 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

I might take **** for this, but the 1st 1977 Star Wars movie could be re-done with better effects and sets.

And what'-his-face as Luke Skywalker was too Beta to be a Jedi to-be. Put someone tougher in that role, and make Vader even more psychotic. Make Princess Leigha a bit sluttier, Solo a bit wilder, and C3P0 a bit less fabulous.

The rest is just fine.

Remember - Luke was a kid.  I think Hammill was a little old for the role but Luke was maybe 16-18 I think.  A whiney teenager.  Who got tougher as the story went on.  By ROTJ he was pretty ballsy IIRC.

Vader can't be too psycho or the end of ROTJ doesn't work.  But I will say that maybe incorporate a little more of Anakin into the character.  Anakin was a risk-taker.  Hard to make him turn good guy if he just slaughtered a bunch of people.

I can always go for a sluttier Leia.  

And get rid of the Ewoks.  All of them.  

And maybe make R2 a little less profane.  Can you believe the mouth on that droid?

After the second trilogy, (episodes 1-3) I am very confident that if they tried to redo the original trilogy they would **** it up.  Not to mention Luke would probably be a transgender fighting against a border wall somewhere......

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Speaking of Star Wars sequels, Solo wasn't that bad.  It just had to  come out after the last jedi turd fest.  It lost all benefit of the doubt coming out after that steaming pile.  Kind of like how Brie sabotaged Captain Marvel with her PC manifesto crap.  It loses the benefit of the doubt coming in with that kind of baggage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rabbi said:

I am a fan of the story as well, but I liked the movie less.

If I didn't have the backstory from reading the book, I would have no idea what was going on in the movie.

That said, I believe that they did a credible job telling the story in the film, but some actors, especially Kyle MacLachlan, played their parts a little too melodramatically.

Most of the supporting cast was quite good and pretty much fit my concept of them from the book.

I readily confess that I am hard to please when it comes to film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'm afraid it won't even be as good as the first movie.  BUT, since...

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

I will go see it anyway.

• Like 4