Completely Jonesing For A Corvette

M&P15T

13 minutes ago, windowasher said:

I bought this...0  to 60 in just under 3 sec., mid 10 sec quarter mile at 143 mph and top speed of 160.  All for about $50,000 less...

bumblebee.jpg

Not a chance in hell.

But, have fun, and good luck.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:08 AM, M&P15T said:

I'm an idiot. Pure and simple, a complete and utter idiot. 

I can't sleep, I'm consumed with lust. I joined a Corvette forum, and have been ignoring my Mustang forum. I'm asking all the noob questions, and getting great answers.

Seriously, I gotta stop this. My current car is 100%, perfect, no need to replace it. But damn.......the thought of removing the roof panel and driving, the car hunkered down to the road, the sun & wind, the torque from that LT1 engine, the very focused type of car they are.

The 2020 Corvette is all-new, mid-engined. So the prices on the 2014-2019 C7 Corvettes should drop quite a bit when it's release. Even right now, $50K can buy a prime 2LT Z51 car. 

I need to stop this......I'm completely addicted to cars. It's a sickness that I need to get past, it's costing too much money.

If you can afford 50k, go for it but that's a lot of money for something that you'd drive just for fun and would still need to have reliable daily transportation.  In 1969 I was in the USAF and a good friend of mine was getting discharged in a month and had saved money for 4 years for a new corvette he got one with a 427 and it cost him a little over 5 grand. In 2019 dollars that would be $35,000 dollars.

He and I were stationed in Eastern Washington state and he planned on driving it back to Ohio where he was from. He planned on and then getting a used car for a daily driver whn eh egot back home and just driving the Corvette for fun. And back then you could get a decent used car for $500 dollars which in 2019 dollars would be $3,429.32 according to the US inflation calculator.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

life short  ,get it  , im getting  ZR1  THIS YEAR   ,  when my dad was suffering  from cancer , he said to me '  son  do what you have to do to live good and enjoy things you want, he said he wished

he would have spent more time enjoying  things then working extra  .  i was 24  and ive stuck with that message thru my daughters and will thru my grand kids

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Borg warner said:

If you can afford 50k, go for it but that's a lot of money for something that you'd drive just for fun and would still need to have reliable daily transportation.

It would be my DD. My only vehicle. They're just fine in that role.

I drove one once.  Drove that thing like it was stolen.  Compared to anything else I've driven (not much), it cornered like it was on rails.

That being said.  I can't imagine one being my only vehicle.  I honestly don't know how I survived without a truck for so long.

Edited by jk_226

As a second vehicle, the Corvette works well. If it is going to be a daily driver, expect your maintenance costs to go up. Tires, premium fuel, brakes, along with other costs particular to the Corvette - they historically tend to overheat and have weak cooling systems. Torque tubes are great for performance, but the maintenance costs aren't cheap. Total immersive emotion when it comes to purchasing a vehicle is a recipe for regret and a reduced bank account. 

I hope it works out in your favor. 

On 3/8/2019 at 2:58 PM, windowasher said:

I bought this...0  to 60 in just under 3 sec., mid 10 sec quarter mile at 143 mph and top speed of 160.  All for about $50,000 less...

bumblebee.jpg

I had a former coworker with a particulary crass sense of humor once ask me this about a motorcycle (not the one pictured):

"I like it but I have a question.  Let's say I was a gardener of some capacity - where would I carry my hoe?"

:anim_lol:

On 3/9/2019 at 9:26 AM, M&P15T said:

It would be my DD. My only vehicle. They're just fine in that role.

They actually excel in that role for a sports car.  Where the C7 falls down (according to our dear friend Crockett) is at the track.  They run well but the cooling systems aren't really great for track use.  Improvements may have been made though.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:11 PM, M&P15T said:

I know Camaros area beasts, but they're like driving a tank........in a closet......with the door closed.

Not the best outward visibility, if we're honest.

So when you get out, you'd be coming out of the closet? :anim_lol:

• Haha 1

So, I went to a dealership and tried to wedge my 'uge, fat ass into a Corvette.

Ho.

Lee.

Chit.

They're like........toy cars. A 2/3rds scale toy car. Photos just don't do that interior justice, they are tiny cars on the inside. The steering wheel was hysterical, it was absolutely tiny compared to the steering wheel in Big Yellow.

But....

Stupidly, I didn't try adjusting the seat in any way, so I totally missed out on seeing if I actually would fit comfortably in one. I did fit, and getting in and out isn't anywhere near as bad as I feared it would be. I'm just not sure if I could really get comfortable.

Still......I can completely understand people being mental over Corvettes. Just sitting in one is an amazing experience. You're about 3/4" off the ground, outward visibility is great (if low), and just revving the engine a bit gives the impression of latent, evil power. And the interior is really a great blend of old-school gauges, and a "just-large-enough, but not a friggin i-pad stuck to the dash-board" infotainment screen. The whole dash/console centers everything on the driver, and definitely makes the passenger aware they're to stick to their side of the car.

So.....I'm still obsessed.

Edited by M&P15T

On 3/8/2019 at 6:44 PM, ASH said:

life short  ,get it  , im getting  ZR1  THIS YEAR   ,  when my dad was suffering  from cancer , he said to me '  son  do what you have to do to live good and enjoy things you want, he said he wished

he would have spent more time enjoying  things then working extra  .  i was 24  and ive stuck with that message thru my daughters and will thru my grand kids

Be SUPER careful with a ZR1. They are diabolical cars. Evil at the handling limits.

If you're talking getting a new Corvette, I would HIGLY suggest getting a Grand Sport. They have the awesome suspension, brakes and tires of the Z06 Vette, with the standard engine. And 460HP is more than enough in a light-ish car.

Seriously, watch Motor Trend's reviews of the Grand Sport, Z06, and the ZR1. The latter two Vettes are considered evil handling cars.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 3:11 PM, M&P15T said:

I know Camaros area beasts, but they're like driving a tank........in a closet......with the door closed.

Not the best outward visibility, if we're honest.

Nope.  My experience has been that it makes little to no difference on the highway, but makes it a bit harder to judge where you are in close quarters (like curbs and parking spaces).  So far I've been able to avoid any close calls.  I played with a guy in a Corvette a couple of days ago.  Same color as my car, probably 6 or 7 years old, no idea what model as I'm not a Vette guy.  Pretty well matched, but he ended up in my rear view eventually.

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

Be SUPER careful with a ZR1. They are diabolical cars. Evil at the handling limits.

If you're talking getting a new Corvette, I would HIGLY suggest getting a Grand Sport. They have the awesome suspension, brakes and tires of the Z06 Vette, with the standard engine. And 460HP is more than enough in a light-ish car.

Seriously, watch Motor Trend's reviews of the Grand Sport, Z06, and the ZR1. The latter two Vettes are considered evil handling cars.

One of the things I like about the Camaro is the feedback is pretty linear.  You know when you're approaching the car's limits, though that's pretty hard to do with an SS 1LE on the street.  The last car I had that was roughly this fast was a Twin Turbo RX7 and that was a truly evil car.  The line between everything is OK, and you're heading towards the ditch, was very fine.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Nope.  My experience has been that it makes little to no difference on the highway, but makes it a bit harder to judge where you are in close quarters (like curbs and parking spaces).  So far I've been able to avoid any close calls.  I played with a guy in a Corvette a couple of days ago.  Same color as my car, probably 6 or 7 years old, no idea what model as I'm not a Vette guy.  Pretty well matched, but he ended up in my rear view eventually.

I'm looking for a very open, sun-shine and fresh-air driving experience. Unfortunately that's just not a Camaro.

The targa roof is the entire reason I'm interested in a Corvette.

3 hours ago, M&P15T said:

I'm looking for a very open, sun-shine and fresh-air driving experience. Unfortunately that's just not a Camaro.

The targa roof is the entire reason I'm interested in a Corvette.

Yeah, it's not an 'open sunshine fresh air' experience, that's for sure!

Of course they do offer a convertible, but in my opinion it's heinous looking. 

I like the look of the new gen Corvette.  If it weren't for stories about them overheating on the track and the fact that I need back seats I would have bought one.

9 hours ago, M&P15T said:

I believe Grand Sport is what my cousin got and he loves it, and it is his daily driver.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2019 at 11:38 AM, M&P15T said:

Check those pics. That's a really tight area to get a longitudinally mounted V8 engine and transmission. I'm thinking it must be transversely mounted.

And it looks like a 458/488.

the LS series are very compact motors. The issue will be how to adapt a transaxle 

On 3/7/2019 at 11:31 AM, M&P15T said:

It's a rear trans-axle I believe, so it's mostly inboard of the rear wheels. Not like a 911 or anything, it's definitely mid-engine.

I still really don't see much benefit to going mid-engine. The current car has it's weight inside the wheel centers, it's mid-engine, so the only real benefit would be faster turn-in due to less mass at the front. And with more weight at the back, over-steer could become an issue. Steady-state corning isn't going to be improved, AFAIK. But maybe there's something I don't understand.

Plus, I'd think there would be a good chance that making the car mid-engine would cause the weight of the engine to be higher in the chassis, due to packaging issues.  And there could also be packaging issues with the geometry of the rear suspension, since the engine/transmission unit might be trying to share some of the same space as the rear suspension. Then there's complex cooling issues, other packaging issues, and most definitely storage space will be lost. Current Corvettes have decent storage out back.

On the forum, they're calling the C8 trans an "auto", not a DCT, so I'm assuming it's a slush-box-matic. Not having a DCT would be really stupid.

Your video on the Lambo may hold the answer to this.  What Lambo did was run the engine longitudinally and have the transmission come out the front.  It then connects to a gearbox that sends the power back to the rear diff.

But the Murcialago is a pretty small car I think.  Not sure how it compares to the Corvette.  I will be interested in the final solution to this issue.

34 minutes ago, Mayhem like me said:

the LS series are very compact motors. The issue will be how to adapt a transaxle 

There's also rumors that the C8 mid engine car will sell alongside continued production of the C7 front-engine Corvette.

I've been a member of CorvetteForum for quite awhile. Usually a great group of guts that are experts on these cars. Then again I'm usually in the C4 part. The newer vettes are crazy performers to be sure but I'd have no luck ever working on one.

• Like 1