Background check first thing

Dric902

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-announces-legislation-to-expand-background-checks-on-guns

.On the eighth anniversary of the shooting of former Democratic Rep. Gabby Giffords, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and other Democrats Tuesday announced a bill to expand background checks for sales and transfers of firearms.

Trump has tweeted support for background checks and raising the age to 21.

do you think this will go anywhere? 

I’m tempted to say it won’t get through the Senate, but Trump is for it.

Edited by Dric902

House colleagues were responding to a gun-violence epidemic that killed nearly 40,000 people in 2017."

That is a self-evident misprint, but I wonder how many people just accepted it, because it was "news". We are in crazy, and dangerous times.

Do I think that there will be some onerous gun control passed? Probably, it happened in 1968, after Bobby Kennedy was assassinated, and it can happen again.

Edited by Suspect Unknown

4 minutes ago, Suspect Unknown said:

Do I think that there will be some onerous gun control passed? Probably, it happened in 1968, after Bobby Kennedy was assassinated, and it can happen again.

Will Trump sign it or veto it.

Edited by Dric902

29 minutes ago, Historian said:

It's got to get through the senate.  Even then, it could get tied up in court, there are a lot of things that could happen.

I won’t try and predict what the Senate will do. But Trump should veto it.

i don’t have any hope of that though, since he came out in favor of it

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

I won’t try and predict what the Senate will do. But Trump should veto it.

i don’t have any hope of that though, since he came out in favor of it

I've given up on politicians. They are a self centered lot priming their pockets with the blood of self sacrifice of generations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Historian said:

I've given up on politicians. They are a self centered lot priming their pockets with the blood of self sacrifice of generations. 

All we can do is what we can do. I have no doubt that it will get to the Senate, we have to get it killed there. I’ll be writing my senators (they will both vote against it anyway)

• Like 1

WASHINGTON — President Trump stunned Republicans on live television Wednesday by embracing gun control and urging a group of lawmakers at the White House to resurrect gun safety legislation that has been opposed for years by the powerful National Rifle Association and the vast majority of his party.

In a remarkable meeting, the president veered wildly from the N.R.A. playbook in front of giddy Democrats and stone-faced Republicans. He called for comprehensive gun control legislation that would expand background checks to weapons purchased at gun shows and on the internet, keep guns from mentally ill people, secure schools and restrict gun sales for some young adults. He even suggested a conversation on an assault weapons ban.

At one point, Mr. Trump suggested that law enforcement authorities should have the power to seize guns from mentally ill people or others who could present a danger without first going to court. “I like taking the guns early,” he said, adding, “Take the guns first, go through due process second.”

I have no illusions about Trump signing the bill.

we have to get it killed in the Senate or our Great Leader I’ll stab us in our Bump stock arguing back again.

15 hours ago, Dric902 said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-announces-legislation-to-expand-background-checks-on-guns

.On the eighth anniversary of the shooting of former Democratic Rep. Gabby Giffords, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and other Democrats Tuesday announced a bill to expand background checks for sales and transfers of firearms.

Trump has tweeted support for background checks and raising the age to 21.

do you think this will go anywhere? 

I’m tempted to say it won’t get through the Senate, but Trump is for it.

I would say, Trump is not firearms friendly.  After all, he directed BATFE to ban bump stocks.  Trump, honestly, thinks the New York rules should apply to everyone.  Why should he care?  He has always had a private security force, and now armed Secret Service for life.

I really wish they would stop going on and on about "weapons purchased over the internet" needing background checks.  

On the other hand, it immediately shows their level of ignorance of current laws and practices, so it's an easy indicator that the person is full of BS.

1 hour ago, Cougar_ml said:

I really wish they would stop going on and on about "weapons purchased over the internet" needing background checks.  

On the other hand, it immediately shows their level of ignorance of current laws and practices, so it's an easy indicator that the person is full of BS.

Oh, they know very well. They wrote the law.

but it sells well, so they repeat it.

On 1/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, Moshe said:

I would say, Trump is not firearms friendly.  After all, he directed BATFE to ban bump stocks.  Trump, honestly, thinks the New York rules should apply to everyone.  Why should he care?  He has always had a private security force, and now armed Secret Service for life.

Lots of truth here in how Trump believes NY rules/law. Kinda like Jimmy Carter tried to run the country like the state of Georgia, like he didn’t fully grasp the vastness and diversity of the American People. 

Edited by Valmet

On 1/8/2019 at 7:41 PM, Dric902 said:

Will Trump sign it or veto it.

If it is a repeat of 1968, he will veto it, IMHO, because it will be an over-reach. Some milder version might pass, but I don't know what that would be. The idiot Democrats  will probably try to ban Internet sales, which is idiocy. All purchases go through local dealers, and I don't think that the Dems know that. They really are stupid and unteachable.

Back in 1968 gun owners went broadsided, but times have changed, and they are on the lookout for crooked politicians, and stupid stunts.

BTW: If Gabby Gifford has learned anything at all, she will have guards posted at her events. And she will hold them inside, and there is nothing stopping her from having guards with shotguns. If she has learned anything, it should be that America has become very dangerous. And not that "guns are evil".

Edited by Suspect Unknown

The Bill is H.R. 8. The Congressman that introduced it has posted the text. He has managed to pack a lot of bad stuff in a short, 6 page bill. Here is the text:

https://mikethompson.house.gov/sites/mikethompson.house.gov/files/THOMCA_001_xml (002).pdf

And here is a textual analysis of it's effects:

https://reason.com/volokh/2019/01/09/textual-analysis-of-hr8-bill-to-to-requi

Read that analysis. All I can say is wow. If Trump supports this and pushes McConnell to pass it, he will be a one term president. I'm hopeful that McConnell will foresee how ticked off the republican base would be and stand firm anyway. Will he? :dunno:

59 minutes ago, TeaDub said:

Read that analysis. All I can say is wow. If Trump supports this and pushes McConnell to pass it, he will be a one term president. I'm hopeful that McConnell will foresee how ticked off the republican base would be and stand firm anyway. Will he? :dunno:

Art of the deal, man.

its 3D chess, its all in the plan.

he’s a genius, we can’t even imagine what he is really doing. He is so far above us

he’s just making liberal heads explode. Fake news, Baby

:worthy:

or

just another Trump bashing thread

bunch of trolls

your girl lost

MAGAMAGAMAGA 

:ntlistening:

/sarc

(just anticipating)