No love for the 40

bdicki

I had a .40, a model 24 Glock.  Well made and accurate, I bought it because it was $100 cheaper than the 9mm longslide.  I regretted that when 9mm Blazer went under 10 cpr.

Platform aside, .40 seemed a bit snappy and if one wanted a large caliber .45 made more sense for me.

love
[ləv]

NOUN
  1. an intense feeling of deep affection:
    "babies fill parents with intense feelings of love" · "their love for their country"
    synonyms: deep affection · fondness · tenderness · warmth · intimacy · attachment · endearment · devotion · adoration · doting · idolization · worship · passion · ardor · desire · lust · yearning · infatuation · besottedness · compassion · care · caring · regard · solicitude · concern · friendliness· friendship · kindness · charity · goodwill · sympathy · kindliness · altruism · unselfishness · philanthropy · benevolence · fellow feeling · humanity · relationship · love affair · romance · liaison· affair of the heart · amour
    antonyms: hatred
    • a deep romantic or sexual attachment to someone:
      "it was love at first sight" · "they were both in love with her" · "we were slowly falling in love"
      synonyms: infatuated with · besotted with · enamored of · smitten with · consumed with desire for · captivated by · bewitched by · enthralled by · entranced by · moonstruck by · devoted to · doting on · mad/crazy/nuts/wild about
    • a personified figure of love, often represented as Cupid.
    • a great interest and pleasure in something:
      "his love for football" · "we share a love of music"
      synonyms: liking of/for · enjoyment of · appreciation of/for · taste for · delight for/in · relish of · passion for · zeal for · appetite for · zest for · enthusiasm for · keenness for · fondness for · soft spot for · weakness for · bent for · proclivity for · inclination for · disposition for · partiality for · predilection for · penchant for
    • affectionate greetings conveyed to someone on one's behalf.
      synonyms: best wishes · regards · good wishes · greetings · kind/kindest regards
    • a formula for ending an affectionate letter:
      "take care, lots of love, Judy"
  2. a person or thing that one loves:
    "she was the love of his life" · "their two great loves are tobacco and whiskey"
    synonyms: beloved · loved one · love of one's life · dear · dearest · dear one · darling · sweetheart· sweet · angel · honey · lover · inamorato · inamorata · amour · paramour
    • BRIT.
      informal
      a friendly form of address:
      "it's all right, love"
    • BRIT.
      informal
      (a love)
      used to express affectionate approval for someone:
      "don't fret, there's a love"
  3. (in tennis, squash, and some other sports) a score of zero; nil:
    "love fifteen" · "he was down two sets to love"
VERB
loves (third person present) · loved (past tense) · loved (past participle) · loving (present participle)
  1. feel a deep romantic or sexual attachment to (someone):
    "do you love me?"
    synonyms: care very much for · feel deep affection for · hold very dear · adore · think the world of · be devoted to · dote on · idolize · worship · be in love with · be infatuated with · be smitten with · be besotted with · be mad/crazy/nuts/wild about · have a crush on · carry a torch for
    antonyms: hate
    • like very much; find pleasure in:
      "I'd love a cup of tea, thanks" · "I just love dancing" · "a fun-loving girl"
      synonyms: like very much · delight in · enjoy greatly · have a passion for · take great pleasure in· derive great pleasure from · relish · savor · have a weakness for · be partial to · have a soft spot for · have a taste for · be taken with · get a kick out of · have a thing about · be mad/crazy/nuts/wild about · be hooked on · get off on
      antonyms: hate

ORIGIN
Old English lufu, of Germanic origin; from an Indo-European root shared by Sanskrit lubhyati ‘desires,’ Latin libet ‘it is pleasing,’ libido ‘desire,’ also by leave2 and lief.

• 2 weeks later...

The .40 gets hate all the way around. 

You got people that hate it because it isn't a full power 10mm, now people hate it because the Feds say 9mm is now superior to all other rounds. I hated the .40 for many years, though I strapped one on and carried it every day. I am set up to load for it so it's cost wasn't an issue. I can't rightly remember why I hated it now though. I bought a 10mm a year or so ago and had in epiphany. The .40 S&W might just be the perfect round for a full sized duty weapon. You have .45 power with near 9mm capacity.

The 9mm is only superior today because the FBI says so. If they came out tomorrow and said the .32 H&R magnum was the best round for defense, half of gun owners would ditch the 9mm in a heart beat. 

...but bullet technology!

...but torque!

...but follow up shots!

...but 9mm guns into .40!

...but explosions, bloody hand, missing fingers!

Bullet tech carries over.

Stop being a *****.

Grow bigger muscles Nancy.

So ******* what.

Learn to reload better, or buy better ammo. 

The simple fact is that a good defensive load in .40 S&W will trump the **** out of a smaller caliber. It will hit harder, impart more energy, and the hollow point in theory should open up much larger. I've had a Glock 22 since 1994 and haven't worn it out, or blown it up yet. I would take it full of 180 HST's over any 9mm. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't hate the 40, I just don't have a need  for it. I've shot a few a couple 40s and liked the ones I shot, but since I own a couple 9MM and a 45, I just don't see the point, especially since ammo is going to be a pain to get come January 1st (California).

I neither love nor hate the .40.  I have pistols in both 9mm and .45, so I just don't think I need an intermediate cartridge between those two.  Then again, I wouldn't object to having one if I could pick it up cheap.

Edited by Spats McGee
Clarity
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2017 at 7:09 AM, JJHNSN said:

Another caliber war?

This is SPARTA!

14 hours ago, Spats McGee said:

I neither love nor hate the .40.  I have pistols in both 9mm and .45, so I just don't think I need an intermediate cartridge between those two.  Then again, I wouldn't object to having one if I could pick it up cheap.

Bud's, KYgunco, and Palmetto State were blowing out 40 caliber FNS's a couple months back. I have 370 in mine after transfer. The gun is truly impressive for a poly wondergun. I just don't know if anyone is still selling them cheap.

fn.jpg.90553a14c1a36b8005e97f95d59beb02.jpgfn2.thumb.jpg.de0b0e7f4452b124e2d8defa2cc8d069.jpg

Handguns to me have always been tools and I started with 22's and moved to 9's and 45's. Didn't dislike the 40 but didn't see what it added for me. Wife will only shoot 22's and my kids are too little. A 40 would be fun but it would have to be a special gun similar to a nice 1911 for me to add it to the collection. Haven't found a 40 that was the one I guess. Range buddy loves his 40's and rides my ass about the 9's all the time. 

I've carried a G23 for about 12 years.  I decided to buy a .40 after seeing A LOT of people shot with 9mm over the years, and immediately after caring for a poor fellow that was shot by a negligent discharge at a gun show in Austin.  The shooter didn't bother declaring his H&K .40 coming in, had it in a fanny pack, saw a holster he liked, quickly drew his loaded firearm and stuck it in to check the fit...... with his trigger on the finger.

Anyway, the bullet hit the poor fellow two aisles over in the outer thigh, went through 13 inches of meat and grissle (ileotibial band), and did a heck of a lot more damage than the 9mm's I was used to.   Every handgun round is a compromise, pick your own spot on the scale.  I'll every day carry a .40 until I can find a comfortable and effective concealment holster for my Mossberg 500 in 12 ga.

• Like 4

Anything the .40 can do, the .45 can do better.  That, by the "logic" on full display.  The .40 is a compromise.  Not quite the diameter of a .45, not quite the capacity of a 9mm.  Pick your compromise of choice and live with it.  Shoot it until you get good.  These are all handgun rounds, and none of them will knock a grown man off his feet, despite what Hollywood would have you believe.  I like the .40.  I carried one for years.  I shoot it well, out past 50 yards.  Better the 9mm you have with you than the .40 you have in the safe.  If you think you'll be going in harm's way, grab a rifle or shotgun.  If you must still conceal, start at .45 and work your way down the ladder until you reach the compromise you can live with.  Then hope you never have to find out if you made the right choice.

• Like 1

Yep. I have a pair of 40 Glocks. A 35 and a 27. I have owned a 27 for about 20 years and it is still one of my favorites. Having been made to carry an issued Glock 22 for almost a decade and putting many thousands of rounds through them has made me appreciate the size, power, versatility (conversion barrels) and function of the guns.

My more recent purchases have been in 9 and 45. I intend to hold on to both my 40s. A great round that is still relevant for my uses today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up the son of a Marine and stepson of a cop.  My first carry gun was in .45 ACP. then .357 Magnum.  When .40 S&W came out and became popular, it seems like the ideal caliber.  My cop dad said he had heard good things about it from his friends in the FBI who studied such things, so I started carrying it.  First in a Beretta 96, then a Glock 22, then a Glock 24C.  Briefly tried the 31 in .357 Sig but ammo costs and availability put an end to that.  I stopped carrying Glocks back in 2000 or so and switched to Springfield Armory, Walther, and then the S&W M&Ps in .40 and .45.

I'm a big boy at 6'2" and have not been bothered by recoil by anything under a .44 Magnum and have shot nothing but the .40 S&W, .45 ACP, or .357 Sig. 

I remember hearing the rumors that the .40 S&W was inherently an inaccurate caliber when it first came out.  I worked in my dad's gun shop from age 13 to 18, so I've heard a lot of BS.

Then I bought a 10mm G29 and got into reloading.  I found it to be the most accurate handgun I have used for self-defense, ever.  I installed a .40 S&W conversion barrel and have shot some very impressive groups with it.  I use it in GSSF with both the stock and conversion barrels in Stock and Unlimited class.

Then everyone kept telling me I needed to get a 9mm to be more competitive in GSSF.  "Boy, if you can shoot like that with a 10mm, then you will clean up with a 9mm..."

So I bought a G19, expecting .22-like recoil and amazing accuracy.  Nope.  I can't tell a difference in recoil between cheap Wal-Mart plinking ammo and my .40 S&W reloads, except the 9mm is less accurate.  Now I'm trying to work up loads for the 9mm that are soft shooting but accurate.  I'm finding out that 9mm likes to go fast if it's going to be accurate, which means it's going to have more recoil.

So, for GSSF, I'm paying roughly the same in ammo costs when reloading for 9mm that recoils the same as .40 S&W but is less accurate. 

Anybody want to buy a G19 FS edition?  Or trade for a G35?

I'm 6' 3" and between the 380, 9mm and 40 cal they all buck about the same for me. Just depends on the weight of the gun as well s ammo. Doesn't bother me as gun jump when firing happens with all pistols more or less. You just need to get used to your gun. I don't understand why there is so much hate from a lot of 9mm owners over the 40 caliber? Shoot what you like.