Old Pictures

Eric

4 hours ago, janice6 said:

When I was young, we had a leather shop in town.  They made saddles, tack, bull whips, and anything else they could sell.

I love sitting in there and chatting with the owner while he worked.  The smell was wonderful.

A building which once housed such a business in Shelbyville TN was demolished a few years ago. The wood was salvaged and sold for reuse.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 5:45 PM, Swampfox762 said:

Take a look at some of Mrs. C's work with Quilts and a couple my step sister made.  Think your lady might enjoy them.  Have her post some of her and the "Groups" quilts if ya can.  Here's the thread the pictures are in.

Beautiful.  I have a real appreciation for the work and artistry that goes into a piece like that. 

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 1:38 PM, janice6 said:

ON good quilt work the hand stitches are incredibly tight together and very short.  It's a beautiful indication of skill and craftsmanship.  I have seen some quilts where the hand stitching is so uniform it's hard to tell it was manually done.  These generally price from $1,000 and up.

We have an issue with the auction.  We just don't get enough people to attend to drive prices up.  There is an affiliated Church in another state that runs an auction for the same charity, I understand they get much higher prices on everything then we do.  I generally build something every year, this year its a glass top coffee table. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, norton said:

We have an issue with the auction.  We just don't get enough people to attend to drive prices up.  There is an affiliated Church in another state that runs an auction for the same charity, I understand they get much higher prices on everything then we do.  I generally build something every year, this year its a glass top coffee table. 

I should mention that I only know about stitching because my mother was a seamstress and did some hand work also.

And I examined the quilts in the Amish Center at the outlet mall in Lancaster, PA.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

• Administrators

The Princess Sophia grounded on a reef near Juneau, Alaska, on October 24, 1918. The reef ripped up the bottom of the boat and it subsequently sank, killing all 346 people onboard. Only a passenger’s dog survived. This was the worst maritime disaster in British Columbia and Alaska’s history.

33FDA36A-9236-46F9-90E4-9F7302C0B0F0.jpeg.0e17700c4bb70d8b073b489e7ed454ed.jpeg

29F72F9C-4BD7-482A-ADCC-68A224A3AE5D.jpeg.d44dd695aa4bb689808ddc8b1fff3d79.jpeg

BC79DB07-1F3E-4AAB-8873-AD1B85ADD58F.jpeg.2d4bf72d606a45b6f30e1e384983f324.jpeg

1398757D-37C2-483C-A1CF-A7F4AB91EEF4.jpeg.9e2971059e59645dacc6c38b73d3348c.jpeg

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Can ya even imagine goin to school like that...

school%2Bsled.JPG

My city didn't sand streets and the plowing was minimal in the Winter.  On days after a snow, the streets were glazed White and glistened like a mirror!

When my dad drove our '46 Chrysler on cold icy days to take us to school, it felt just like that sled above when your slipping and sliding to school on a sheet of ice.  Those were great days!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, janice6 said:

My city didn't sand streets and the plowing was minimal in the Winter.  On days after a snow, the streets were glazed White and glistened like a mirror!

When my dad drove our '46 Chrysler on cold icy days to take us to school, it felt just like that sled above when your slipping and sliding to school on a sheet of ice.  Those were great days!

We sometimes had a covering of snow on Sunday mornings. Great time to take the young drivers to an empty parking lot for skid control and recovery practice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1