2 die in fall in yosemite park

ASH

O.k.??

I'm tired of this media obsession with death. People die. People do stupid **** and fall to their deaths. Big deal.

It's NOT news, it's sensationalized crap. Ooooh, 8 people died in 6 months at that park!!?? Like, OMG!!

Who ******* cares?

Edited by M&P15T

People often do stupid things, like walking right to the edge of a cliff with unstable footing. But the fact that two people fell to their deaths at the same place and time make me think that this was a double suicide, not an unfortunate accident. 

3 hours ago, NDcent said:

4 million visit each year, 8 die; I can live with that, they can't, but I can. :dunno:

The odds are in their favor there. We only get a couple hundred thousand visitors to Alaska, and yet dozens of them die every year. Killed and eaten by wild animals. Drowning. Lost in the wilderness. Plane crashes. Falling. Weather. Getting shot. Wild animals. Crazy hookers. Wild animals.

Alaska isn't for *******.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, M&P15T said:

O.k.??

I'm tired of this media obsession with death. People die. People do stupid **** and fall to their deaths. Big deal.

It's NOT news, it's sensationalized crap. Ooooh, 8 people died in 6 months at that park!!?? Like, OMG!!

Who ****ing cares?

This looks like someone just fell off the side.  Could happen to anyone I suppose.

What irritates me is these extreme athletes do something stupid and splatter themself, often there are others around.  Including kids.  And they see the mess.

Then the area has to be closed while they mop the dead guy off the rock.

I say - Splatter yourself if you want, but show some consideration in your timing please. 

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vito said:

People often do stupid things, like walking right to the edge of a cliff with unstable footing. But the fact that two people fell to their deaths at the same place and time make me think that this was a double suicide, not an unfortunate accident. 

Or murder suicide.

Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I think people who have led sheltered lives do not appreciate Yosemite is a wilderness - not a theme park. You have to use a little common sense or you can die.

In response to @ash question about trails. Yes, some a just a foot or two wide with no safety net. I poached a few pics off the interweb as examples. There are many places that have glacial-polished granite that can be slick.

528077577_Yosemitefallstrail.jpg.f8e916abeb3fb64816dec72268897b71.jpg

Yosemite falls trail. I have hiked this trail and yes, it IS this narrow.

1249954555_Yosemitehalfdometrail.jpg.cc1ac6a4fea8290d94c7f6f16474f2cf.jpg

Half dome trail.

615946263_Yosemitewaterwheelfalls.jpg.516f84584d0f6c854f957f5ba2ffb096.jpg

Waterwheel falls.

• Like 1

Nature is a mother.

We've traded thick skin, fast reflexes, and strength for opposable thumbs and an ability to understand patterns.

Unfortunately, that means gravity wins sometimes.

I've never been to California, but Yosemite is on my list. Looks like a place a fella could spend a week, get back in touch with Nature, and hike as much as possible. I'd do the chains, Taft, and the falls trails. No ropes or pitons for me.