The weight loss struggle begins anew...

PNWguy

The 2-day break worked.  Down another 2 pounds now.  2 more pounds and I'll be under the 300lb mark.  Goal was 300lbs by Halloween and didn't make it, but should be on track to be well under 300 by Thanksgiving.  Working the holiday, so that won't be a temptation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Attaboy. My goal is 285 by my 11/19 doctor visit. Sitting at 292 tonight. Doubt I'll make it. Mostly due to the whiskey, and how it makes me want to eat. But still, to go from 330 to 290 since Aug 1, that's decent.

Just keep making good choices. That's what it is all about. This ain't a sprint- it's a marathon. Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

On 11/3/2018 at 2:19 AM, PNWguy said:

Thanks man!  I just used eating as a way to feel good and not as fuel.  It's got to be a total change in attitude and outlook in order to work. 

Now where have I heard that before?

Today, I discovered that I can button the top button of my dress shirts and they are a comfortable fit.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 2:25 AM, tadbart said:

BMR minus Intake.   Every -3500 is a pound of fat. Period.

Actually BMR is a good goal but not accurate.  Very hard to calorie deficit using BMR.

BMR is like if you were alive but in a coma, the base amount of calories you burn while sedentary.  You add in your activity level during the day, and that equates to TDEE, total daily energy expenditure.  Some calculators do this automatically, some do not.  Just account for it either way and lay off the booze dude...:whistling:    

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Peng said:

Actually BMR is a good goal but not accurate.  Very hard to calorie deficit using BMR.

BMR is like if you were alive but in a coma, the base amount of calories you burn while sedentary.  You add in your activity level during the day, and that equates to TDEE, total daily energy expenditure.  Some calculators do this automatically, some do not.  Just account for it either way and lay off the booze dude...:whistling:    

Agreed, Peng. and said more eloquently than I was able.  At the end o f the day, it's calories out vs. calories in. Period.

And yes. The damn Booze. I may need help with that. But, I guess there's something to that realization, right?

• Like 1

My youngest son set us up a deep sea fishing trip on the weekend of 10-27.  I weighed 235 on Thursday before we left on Friday. We ate at Wahlburgers on Friday night (the BBQ bacon cheeseburger was great, and the thin sliced onion rings were, too).  Saturday night was the Original Oyster House, with fried shrimp and oysters ( which I had been craving for a year) with a salad and cheese grits.  I weighed Tuesday after we got home, and had put on 10 pounds over a 3 day weekend!  Most was fluid, and was lost in 3 days.  I'm back down to 237 and back on a stricter keto regime.  I have no regrets for the weekend off, LOL.

Edited by OldCop71
  • Like 1

Been down at the cabin the last couple of days checking on the property after a bad wind storm.  Was at 300.4 before I left, and stayed true to the diet so I'll have to check in the morning during my normal weigh-in time to see where I'm at.

• Like 1

Multivitamin May take away some cravings... 

i keep a case of progreso lite chicken soup on hand. If I open the fridge door or cupboards looking for a fix I convince myself just eat the soup. Pretty healthy. And yes, this isn’t water boarding. Sometimes one needs food they love. 

have you tried starting the day with a protein shake, or replacing a meal with one? The chocolate ones I get from Costco are tasty and have nutritional value. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

Officially below 300lbs.  298lbs.

Stick with it. It's not hard to figure out what foods are fattening and what happens when you pig out.  It just takes discipline. When you're craving food and it's making you unhappy it's like you're in pain but you just have to endure the pain and not give in to the cravings.

Once you get down to your target weight then you can indulge in something you like occasionally, like once a month, but no more than that.  But you need to develop new eating habits and stich with what keeps you at a stable weight. You don't want to lose it and then gain it all back.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

Keep yourself busy. Focus on a big project with a bunch of little goals (not related to diet) and concentrate on the project and specifically meeting the timeline. Make a list and hold yourself to the project completion.

This real project is not about food and it can be anything but you need to focus on it critically (almost obsessively). Renovating a room, autobody work whatever, it doesn't matter. The goal is to keep your mind off eating and getting your ass away from easy food.

My weight loss happens quickest when I am in the shop for most of the day. There is no food or munchies out there (case of water and maybe a diet soda or two for flavor). I will work for hours at a time albeit a little hungry but not enough to drag my ass back to the house. When I am truly hungry I eat and then go back out and work some more. The next day I will see a change in the scale.

Keep yourself busy, to busy to focus on food. It really works for me.

I just got below a plateau. I was stuck at 198 for two months. I had gotten used to my exercise routine and my boring ass diet. So I cut my lunch calories in half, doubled my exercise duration (slight decrease in intensity which I am ramping up) and after a week... NOTHING. I was not pleased and thought I am going to have a cheat, people have said it works. So at the trap range I had ONE slice of meatlovers pizza and it was so good all I could think was "why don't i eat this all the time". I ate in 2 minutes all the carbs that I normally eat in a day.

Within an hour my chest hurt like I drank 6 cups of espresso. The rest of the day I was so ******* hungry, angry hungry, a painful I am going to ******* bite someone seriously hard and rip off, and devour their flesh like a zombie hungry. The pizza was so not worth the hunger agony I endured the rest of the night.

Two days later I was down a pound, and a week later I was down another pound. I know  my days of easy weight loss are over since I am close to my goal (15 more pounds). I felt like it was a little victory. I am back to loosing weight but much much slower rate (was 8-10lbs/month when I started and now it's 1-2 lbs/month) but at least now I am still loosing it.

Keep yourself busy and pick active / more physical projects. It helps keep your thoughts off food.

• Like 2

Not sure if this is good or bad. I have been on a 5 day charter and have been fairly strict with what I have been eating, as me preparing food is not an option. So I have been eating a protein heavy breakfast with limited carbs all day and then whatever I wanted for dinner. And have not been hungry at all. This evening I have the shakes and feel a bit weak, arms and legs. I just ate dinner about an hour ago and still have the light tremors in my hands.

I have probably lost about 1/2 a size. I was about a L trending towards XL, now I'm about fairly close to a L. My work pants are 36Wx32L with the expand waistband and the expand is minimal. My belts are Kore sliders, no idea if I have shortened their length needed.

Well my plan is push some water and have a good nights sleep. I did use some 5hr energy today, drove about 375 mile and am done early for today.

I've been basically sugar-free for about 2 weeks. I'm not really making an attempt to avoid the hidden sugars, but all the 'obvious'. I realized tonight, that I'm REALLY looking forward to my berry flavored gummy multivitamin. Sad. :)

Edited by Zonny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My typical intake every day consists of a breakfast of eggs, bacon, or sausage.  Then lunch/dinner is a salad, some salami, almonds, cheese sticks, canned beets, etc.  It's very bland and uninspiring, but it's working so far.  With 12hr shifts, I don't have time to prepare meals so I eat whatever is available that is keto-friendly.  On my days off I get to create keto friendly dinners that are more satisfying, taste-wise. 

Funny thing is, I used to restrict calories and "eat healthy" before I tried keto and I was always getting the shakes and weak and hangry.  I'm rarely "starving" on keto, even on days where I've had under 1000 calories.

• Like 1

My typical intake every day consists of a breakfast of eggs, bacon, or sausage.  Then lunch/dinner is a salad, some salami, almonds, cheese sticks, canned beets, etc.  It's very bland and uninspiring, but it's working so far.  With 12hr shifts, I don't have time to prepare meals so I eat whatever is available that is keto-friendly.  On my days off I get to create keto friendly dinners that are more satisfying, taste-wise. 
Funny thing is, I used to restrict calories and "eat healthy" before I tried keto and I was always getting the shakes and weak and hangry.  I'm rarely "starving" on keto, even on days where I've had under 1000 calories.
Instant pot batch of chicken breasts sets E up for a work week of Salads through a work set(and also do a batch of hard boiled eggs in instant pot for salads, makes them ridiculously easy to peel).

Of importance, high quality lettuces (mix of 2 types), fresh chopped cabbage, bell peppers. Olive oil sptitzed on, ranch dressing, Frank's Hot sauce, natural cheese (I shred a block ahead of time and fridge or freeze it).

If you use fresh high quality produce its far from "just a salad". It sounds like effort, but once you start doing it, simple routine.

If you are a coffee drinker, consider Bullet Proof Coffee in replacement of breakfast food. (coffee w/tbsp of unsalted butter, tsp of coconut oil).

Once use to it, holds off appetite until lunch or late lunch.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 2

Obsessing on the scale is likely to backfire. Just walk, put some headphones on and go however far in one direction knowing about the same time back. Don’t look at the scale every day. Wait until some clothes feel too big. 

I have many MD friends and one did give the advice : weight loss is 70% nutrition, got to get what the body needs and go from there. He is world renowned, published many journal articles etc...  we were at a steak house, my account and a nice lady asked him... ironic in a way. 

There is no shame in asking for a to go container up front with a meal. Portions many times are extreme.

14 hours ago, Zonny said:

I've been basically sugar-free for about 2 weeks. I'm not really making an attempt to avoid the hidden sugars, but all the 'obvious'. I realized tonight, that I'm REALLY looking forward to my berry flavored gummy multivitamin. Sad. :)

Sweetie, the vitamin thing is helpful. I like the generic kids chewable, like Flintsone but cheaper. Amazing how they slake my appetite when I need that. There are times when I can’t get food down, they help then too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanksgiving has come and gone. I cheated with dressing and sweet potato casserole. Have deliberately not gone to the scale until I am sure I've got myself back into ketosis.  Total loss so far is 50 lbs, and hovering around the 230 mark before Thanksgiving.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, OldCop71 said:

Thanksgiving has come and gone. I cheated with dressing and sweet potato casserole. Have deliberately not gone to the scale until I am sure I've got myself back into ketosis.  Total loss so far is 50 lbs, and hovering around the 230 mark before Thanksgiving.  

There is a saying I think is true. "It's not what we eat between Christmas and New Years that kills us, but between New Years and Christmas".

I'm glad that you enjoyed Turkey Day! Get back in the saddle and reach your goal.