The weight loss struggle begins anew...

PNWguy

4 minutes ago, Peng said:

It is scary how strong the appetite stimulation is.  I've found that if I have a bottle around, I will drink...a bottle.

So it's best for me to not have it around.  I'm not a drunk, and don't even get drunk, but I do like to sip on my Tequila or Cognac or Irish Whisky.

It's always the same, funny.  I'm good for breakfast and lunch, right at 1,000 calories.  I have a few then I say screw it and order a pizza or make a Thai or Del Taco run.  I know better yet I tend to keep doing it.   

So much truth. The closest Del Taco is 35 miles away. It's mostly toll roads- Pretty sure I could get lit and make a taco run.  The local greek pizza joint is only 3 miles away. I just KNOW I'm gonna give in to the whiskey soon, and order a pepperoni and banana pepper pie. FML.

I'm shrinking. Several things I notice is I am peeing a lot and drinking a lot of water. The waistband of my underwear is not rolling over or riding low. My belt, a stiff Kore model is not having me feeling the back fat being pushed upward. T shirts that are snug fitting, I don't feel like I have been compressed into them. Pants with expand waist are not expanding as far as they had.

The reality is, probably most of the shrinking is water weight with a little bit of actual fat being lost. Regardless, I feel better and have not had any craving that HAD to be addressed until tonight. I got the shakes. Today I ate scrambled eggs for breakfast with a piece of whole wheat toast, I grabbed a burger for lunch and then I had a bit of trouble. Left on a charter (8 hour drive) and we stopped to eat at a mall food court. That meant no good options to eat, had a small calzone. Arrived at the hotel for the evening and just got overly hungry and ate some snacks I had on hand. They stopped the cravings, but I'm still hungry.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2018 at 8:44 PM, TeaDub said:

Outstanding. It sounds like you know what works for your body. Stick with it and you'll get there.

I need to lose 15-20 pounds to get back to my high school weight. While I'm very intrigued by Keto, I don't believe that I could stick with it. What I have done recently is incorporate intermittent fasting (16/8) into my schedule 3-5 times a week. For me, that means drinking black coffee in the morning and eat between 11AM to 7PM. I've found that very easy to do. Cutting out most sugars and starches as well. It not as quick this way but seems easy to maintain.

After reading a bit about IF, the health benefits seem far greater than just weight loss.

That is about what I have done for most of the last 11-12 years and it works well.

I went much lower carb for about three months early this year. I liked it a lot. It makes IFing very easy. With all that bodyfat being used for energy, my appetite went way down to the point that I could go much longer than my normal 16-18 hours without eating, and not feel a thing.

I lost traction on low carbing it because carbs are everywhere and I got a little tired of eating so much oil and nuts.

Also, it bothered me that the body desperately wants out of keto. Give it any chance and it will switch to carbs instead. It's trying to tell us something. From that, I think low carb is a great short term plan, but I don't feel comfortable going that direction long term.

Edited by Brad
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Brad said:

That is about what I have done for most of the last 11-12 years and it works well.

I went much lower carb for about three months early this year. I liked it a lot. It makes IFing very easy. With all that bodyfat being used for energy, my appetite went way down to the point that I could go much longer than my normal 16-18 hours without eating, and not feel a thing.

I lost traction on low carbing it because carbs are everywhere and I got a little tired of eating so much oil and nuts.

Also, it bothered me that the body desperately wants out of keto. Give it any chance and it will switch to carbs instead. It's trying to tell us something. From that, I think low carb is a great short term plan, but I don't feel comfortable going that direction long term.

FWIW: check out this site for a ton of info on Low Carb/Keto, including a trove of recipes.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb 

Edited by TBO
  • Like 5

Okay, check in! Next few days could be kinda sketchy, Halloween and all. 

Things are still going strong with me, the last 2 days have been exceptional from an eating standpoint. I'm on a charter with a college football team and I am included in the training table. Eating high quality protein like a KING! Lunch yesterday was chicken and mac and cheese, skipped the mac and cheese and opted for a fruit cup, and unsweet tea. Dinner was steak, grilled chicken, salad, fruit cup, water. B'fast was scrambled eggs, bacon crisp, small milk, water, fruit cup.

Energy level is strong, did not require any supplements to get thru a 7am to midnight day, just no fatigue at all. Food is tasting really good too. One of the guys I am working with got a severe warning this past month, was not feeling good, tired a lot, drank a different caffeine supplement one day and felt "weird" with a strap of pain across the top of his chest. Denied anything was wrong to himself. Went to go to work the next day and got more symptoms including broke out into a heavy sweat. Off to the ER, no enzyms were showing up in his blood work but they did a catherization and he had 90% blockage in 2 arteries and 30% in others, but did not have a heart attack. Stents implanted, meds started, diet started, and a lifestyle change has begun. He has dropped about 20lb, mostly fluid, but he wants to rehab and strengthen his heart muscle. Currently motivated. He has never done an kind of structured exercise or sport in his life. He is ski patrol at a local place, was an EMT, but mainly just worked and provided for his family. So he is getting his marching orders to get in shape or else.

It takes me less time to get to a level of fitness I am comfortable with, whether it be from walking or bike riding. I just don't want to lose muscle. Something else I recall from the last time I did the big purge of weight....if you are nekked and jump up and down and stuff is jiggling that should not jiggle, you need to stay hard restricted on carbs for a while longer. Right now I need to lose about the size of a mtb tire off my waist, which I figure is about 20lb. By spring I should be GTG. But I looked at my work schedule and it is packed, so I have no idea how I'll get much in as far as lifting, walking or riding done. 

• Like 3

I hit a wall at 304lbs.  Kept on the diet, kept exercising, but wasn't losing anything.  Was told I needed to go off of it for a day or so to "shock" my system into losing weight again.  Had some carbs Saturday night, then went to dinner at my parent's house and had homemade beef stroganoff, applesauce, and blueberry cheesecake.  Gloriously delicious!  Three hours later I had some very unpleasant digestive system issues...

Been back on it since Monday morning.  Weighed in this morning and still, 304lbs.  Haven't lost a pound in a week.  Whatever, still sticking with it.  An ex-girlfriend from 25 years ago is flying into town for the weekend next month.  We made dinner plans and she told me she's been doing keto.  She's been on it for 6 months and lost 29lbs and looks amazing, so I will stick with it for another 3-4 weeks and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, BigGiantShaft said:

Willpower is key.  If you have it, losing weight may not be easy, but it's perfectly doable.  If you don't, you stuff yourself with stroganoff, applesauce, and cheesecake.  Predicable results.

"Stuffing myself" with the carb rich food was a deliberate decision to try and shock my body back into responding to ketosis.  Not a breakdown of willpower, so ease off with the insults.

• Like 1

Just now, BigGiantShaft said:

Sounds like my sister in law.  "I'm not losing weight on *insert fad diet here*, so I'll eat two large pizzas and a half gallon of ice cream to confuse my body".  Then she doesn't understand why she's up five pounds.

Did you just come in here to insult people, or do you have anything constructive to say?

Just now, PNWguy said:

Did you just come in here to insult people, or do you have anything constructive to say?

I can be very constructive.  Severely limit carbs, eliminate as much sugar as possible.  No soft drinks, minimal processed foods, run a calorie deficit.  Exercise as much as possible without injuring yourself.  Don't do fad diets, change your lifestyle.  The weight will come off and stay off, and you'll feel like a whole new person.

• Like 1

Since midnight, I ate:

half a bag of frozen mixed veggies- 180 calories.

2 hard boiled eggs- 150 calories.

1 cheese stick- 100 calories.

Blueberries- 100.

3 pepperoncini- 50.

8oz bourbon- 800ish.

9 babyback ribs and 0.5 cup of blackeye peas- lord only knows.

that's 1380 plus the ribs and peas.

not bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had one slice of a breakfast casserole I cooked last night.  It consisted of eggs, pepper jack cheese, sausage links, bacon, and riced cauliflower.  It turned out pretty good.

ZK2zmuxM31dc_iCLveRINFsIi4s6zdoD6T2ss1Lw4NQpX92IB.jpg.7d5b7fcbdba875ee72ba7123eb2b99ba.jpg

With that was two cups of coffee.

Went on my UTV ride in the woods, came back and had 3 fried eggs and four strips of bacon.

Supper was just some homemade clam dip (half & half, cream cheese, clams, garlic salt, and worcestershire sauce) and pork rinds.

No idea how many calories, but probably under 2000.

On tomorrow's menu is the rest of the casserole, chicken caesar salad, and more clam dip and pork rinds.

Edited by PNWguy

• Administrators

I stood in a store tonight, having a long conversation with myself over these. I could eat these until I died of fat.  

reeses-crunchy-cookie-cup.jpg

I want them so bad.  I would drag my balls across an acre of broken glass to sniff the fart of a greasy trucker who ate one last week.   Sugar is addictive poison. Tasty tasty poison.  I am wired to eat it till I am sick. Which means I can not have any.    

Seriously.  There I am, a grown ass man, with my **** wired pretty tight in life, and I am having a panic attack and near tears over what to do with this demon inside of me. It is twisting my soul into a knot saying "eat the ******* candy."     

It is a hell of a demon.  I beat it tonight, but I am so sick of the battle.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've had a bucket of Twix and Reeses peanut butter cups sitting on top of my cupboards for a week in anticipation of Halloween trick-or-treaters.  They stopped calling my name a few days ago finally.

I've never been home for Halloween so I have no idea how many kids are going to stop by.  If it's just a few, then those kids are going to get a TON of candy, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbi said:

I want them so bad.  I would drag my balls across an acre of broken glass to sniff the fart of a greasy trucker who ate one last week.   Sugar is addictive poison. Tasty tasty poison.  I am wired to eat it till I am sick. Which means I can not have any.    

Seriously.  There I am, a grown ass man, with my **** wired pretty tight in life, and I am having a panic attack and near tears over what to do with this demon inside of me. It is twisting my soul into a knot saying "eat the ******* candy."     

It is a hell of a demon.  I beat it tonight, but I am so sick of the battle.  

Everybody over to Rabbi's house for Halloween!

We'll save him from the chocolate demons, battle the yummy peanut butter, make him cringe at the mere mention of the name Resses!

It's for his own good.

NB my personal food demon is peanuts.  Give me five pounds of peanuts in the shell and I'll end up with shells and a hankering for more peanuts.

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, tous said:

Everybody over to Rabbi's house for Halloween!

We'll save him from the chocolate demons, battle the yummy peanut butter, make him cringe at the mere mention of the name Resses!

It's for his own good.

NB my personal food demon is peanuts.  Give me five pounds of peanuts in the shell and I'll end up with shells and a hankering for more peanuts.

Mmmmmmm chocolate demon!

chocolate-demon.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man, they say sugar is one of the deadliest and most addictive drugs out there, and I believe they are right.

So far, I've avoided sweets this holiday season. It's kinda gotten where the sweetest thing I really enjoy is a cup of blueberries. If there was one candy I really miss, it'd probably be just a plain Reese's cup.

My big downfall is whiskey. If I could just get away from the bottle, I'd be more successful in weight loss, and a lot of other things.

I was thinking about this thread last night. Vart, something ain't right. And the idea of "shocking the system" is gibberish. Not sure if you are following a plan/book or just what is read on the net. All you did by eating the stroganoff applesauce etc was a small setback. You gotta stick with it and not get disappointed that things leveled off. It's to be expected and you are on the verge of a break through. Search out a book called Protein Power for some motivation and further depth on the plan.

I transported a wrestling team to a major tournament a few years ago. The head coach, he is very successful at what he does, is a D1 coach these days. His team won the tournament, one of his guys won his weight class. So we were getting ready to leave and his message to his guys, who had been wrestling all day went like this, "okay guys, I'm not going to tell you what to do. We are going to stop at the store and get food. You all have a decision to make. Are you eating to refuel or are you eating for comfort? Think about that and choose wisely. Think about how much work you will have to do to keep off extra weight you will accumulate from choosing comfort. Good job today men." Some went in and got something like chocolate milk, others went and got things that were filling and not add weight. It was inspiring.

edit: Speaking of energy levels, I had to work last night. I was up from about 7:30am till 9:30am, 26 hours. Actually worked from midnight to 9:30am when I went to bed. Very limited use of caffeine during that period, used from about 12-3am, broke thru my 4am personal wall with ease. I am digging this energy level boost with this carb restriction. I had really been struggling to stay alert without supplements for the past year. I have another one to do Friday night, curious to see how that works out.

Edited by ARP
  • Like 5

On 10/30/2018 at 11:54 PM, Rabbi said:

Sugar is addictive poison. Tasty tasty poison.  I am wired to eat it till I am sick. Which means I can not have any.    

It is so fascinating to me the different compulsions we all have.  I really think it's genetic.

I have the opposite of a sweet tooth.  I rarely eat candy for snacks, and will always choose savory over sweet.  I save pickle brine when all the pickles are gone so I can sip on it from time to time.     

My demons come in the form of rice, noodles and bread.  

Edited by Peng
  • Like 1