Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

If McDonnell Douglas didn't make it, you'd better hope the Grumman did.  :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:
Scott, you ever get a ride in a Tomcat with  the GE F110-400s?
Unfortunately, no. Tomcat As and two hops in a Hornet B were as sporty as I got.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, F14Scott said:

Can't tell. Indy and Kitty Hawk had very similar, smallish decks. BK Tomcats flew from Indy until 1997, then Kitty Hawk.

My only clue is the fin flash, which has the simplicity of circa 1994 jets. They got increasingly detailed and artistic as the years went by. If I had to bet, I'd go Indy.

When the F4 was retired, didn't some carriers have to go strictly to F18s because the F14 was too darn big to operate off of it?

16 hours ago, willie-pete said:

thunderbolt.jpg.a052279e96073e81432584edfb64842b.jpg

:supergrin:

G-d dammit.  Took me a while to pick up the reference.

• Like 2

AFAIK, Tomcats were aboard all carriers that Hornets eventually joined and took over. My boat, CV-62 Independence, was the smallest deck afloat and the oldest active ship in the inventory when she retired in 1997, at 39 years. So, short answer, I don't think there were any Hornet but not Tomcat boats, at least not for jet size reasons.

• Like 2

Scott, what did the air crew think about going from 30 years of a stick and a GIB to just a stick in the F/A-18s?

Could you trust an aviator to fly all by himself?

Keep in mind, it was the Navy that told us to replace the backseaters with electrons.

41 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

G-d dammit.  Took me a while to pick up the reference.

For some reason, as soon as I looked at the picture, I knew it was a brain teaser. I knew it was meant to be something to figure out. The genius of that pic is that most wont realize it's a brain-teaser, and therefore not ponder the larger importance of it. Most will just think they're two scary looking planes, and assume that's the reason for the "very very frightening" part.

Edited by M&P15T

13 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

For some reason, as soon as I looked at the picture, I knew it was a brain teaser. I knew it was meant to be something to figure out. The genius of that pic is that most wont realize it's a brain-teaser, and therefore not ponder the larger importance of it. Most will just think they're two scary looking planes, and assume that's the reason for the "very very frightening" part.

IDK what you guys are talking about. I just thought it was a neat picture of a P-47 and a P-38. Very, very frightening to the enemy.

:whistling:.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2