FLYING MIS-ADVENTURES

crossmember

4 hours ago, jilverthor said:
  • September 18, 1980 – 1980 Damascus Titan missile explosion, Little Rock AFB, Arkansas – At about 6:30 p.m., an airman conducting maintenance on a USAF Titan-II missile at Little Rock Air Force Base's Launch Complex 374-7 in Southside (Van Buren county), just north of Damascus, Arkansas, dropped a 9 pounds (4.1 kg) socket from a socket wrench, which fell about 80 feet (24 m) before hitting and piercing the skin on the rocket's first-stage fuel tank, causing it to leak. The area was evacuated. Overnight, at about 3:00 a.m., the hypergolic fuel exploded. The W53 warhead landed about 100 feet (30 m) from the launch complex's entry gate; its safety features operated correctly and prevented any explosion, chemical or nuclear. An Air Force airman, SrA David Livingston, was killed and the launch complex was destroyed.[63]

One of the sites I pulled alerts at.  This is the aftermath. 

There is a hydrogen bomb in this picture. See if you can find it.  :greensupergrin:

damascus_1.jpg.954e1f814c38ff626ba7447ca682c4d1.jpg

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, willie-pete said:
  • September 18, 1980 – 1980 Damascus Titan missile explosion, Little Rock AFB, Arkansas – At about 6:30 p.m., an airman conducting maintenance on a USAF Titan-II missile at Little Rock Air Force Base's Launch Complex 374-7 in Southside (Van Buren county), just north of Damascus, Arkansas, dropped a 9 pounds (4.1 kg) socket from a socket wrench, which fell about 80 feet (24 m) before hitting and piercing the skin on the rocket's first-stage fuel tank, causing it to leak. The area was evacuated. Overnight, at about 3:00 a.m., the hypergolic fuel exploded. The W53 warhead landed about 100 feet (30 m) from the launch complex's entry gate; its safety features operated correctly and prevented any explosion, chemical or nuclear. An Air Force airman, SrA David Livingston, was killed and the launch complex was destroyed.[63]

One of the sites I pulled alerts at.  This is the aftermath. 

There is a hydrogen bomb in this picture. See if you can find it.  :greensupergrin:

Since you have a bit more than average knowledge with this one, am I right to assume that the airman died from inhaling vapors when the leak first happened since they say they evacuated the area prior to the explosion?  

And remind me not to work with 9 lb sockets, it sounds like nothing good can come of them (my feet take enough abuse from a normal weight socket)

No, Sgt Livingston and another went in the silo to check conditions nine hours after the emergency started . Two went in as it was still theoretically a " No Lone Zone " area. As they backed out, the explosion happened.  Dave was at the bottom of the stairway to turn on an exhaust fan. His partner ( Jeff Kennedy ) was at the top of the stairway. The exhaust fans may have thrown a spark in the flammable atmosphere or the missile could have finally collapsed in on itself mixing the two hypergolic fuels; nobody will ever know. Kennedy had critical injuries, but survived. Both had crushing injuries from debris falling on them. The silo door that covered the hole in the picture weighed 750 TONS, A real site is shown below for comparison.

If you every see the movie " Disaster at Silo 7 "; it is based on this incident. And, of course  more recently, the PBS documenrary " Command & Control "

damascus.jpg.2ef152232c86652ca8a4d6b3a8acb805.jpg

RIP Dave

:patriot:

damascus2.jpg.0d8ebc69e842a7a35247d691f369b41f.jpg

23 minutes ago, jilverthor said:

And remind me not to work with 9 lb sockets, it sounds like nothing good can come of them (my feet take enough abuse from a normal weight socket)

Unfortunately, the socket was not the correct tool specified in the Tech Order. If they had been using the correct tool it would not have happened..

12 minutes ago, jilverthor said:

Aviation  is all money, repairs, and paperwork.  

I don't have money and dislike paperwork, so I stick with things that won't fall out of the air if something goes wrong.  

Boats are the same way, so I rarely work on them either.

3 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

I don't have money and dislike paperwork, so I stick with things that won't fall out of the air if something goes wrong.  

One is a hole in the water that you throw money into, the other a hole in the air.

The general joke is that only once the weight of the paperwork exceeds the weight of the aircraft can you go fly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jilverthor said:

One is a hole in the water that you throw money into, the other a hole in the air.

The general joke is that only once the weight of the paperwork exceeds the weight of the aircraft can you go fly.

And when you pull it up to the a avgas pump, don't be concerned when the owner immediately calls his wife and says, Good news, Honey?  We can buy that vacation home now!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tous said:

And when you pull it up to the a avgas pump, don't be concerned when the owner immediately calls his wife and says, Good news, Honey?  We can buy that vacation home now!

Yes, it is much better to own the fuel place than it is any other part of the aviation industry.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

If a boat ever falls out of the air, someone did something very, very wrong.  :anim_lol:

On 8/22/2018 at 6:03 PM, tous said:

The more we discuss things, the longer we get to sit at Hooters and eat wings.

Drink some beers with the wings.  It's amazing how many good-sounding ideas are generated between two guys drinking enough beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1