Dramatic Pictures

Eric

I always get sad seeing  animals capable of reasoning, being locked in a cage with little mental stimulation.  Of course, I wouldn't want to be in there with them either.

Zoos are increasingly moving away from jail cell size cages. As an example the Memphis Zoo had a “Lion House” which they converted to a restaurant. They replaced it with landscaped habitats for the cats.

Something to consider... all animals in zoos these days need to be acclimated to allow some human handling for veterinary care. And they all need to be locked up nights and weekends for their own protection. Accredited zoos work hard to maintain their charges as happy and healthy as possible, and they participate in breeding programs to maintain genetic diversity of each breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Zoos are increasingly moving away from jail cell size cages. As an example the Memphis Zoo had a “Lion House” which they converted to a restaurant. They replaced it with landscaped habitats for the cats.

Something to consider... all animals in zoos these days need to be acclimated to allow some human handling for veterinary care. And they all need to be locked up nights and weekends for their own protection. Accredited zoos work hard to maintain their charges as happy and healthy as possible, and they participate in breeding programs to maintain genetic diversity of each breed.

You're right.  My Son in law and my daughter both worked as volunteers at the Minnesota Zoo in Eagan, MN. 

My daughter got her kicks out of bringing out the Tarantulas by having them crawling and sitting on her.  The brave people got to touch them. 

My daughter is a pretty spooky woman, carries a gun, don't take no crap, and loves reptiles.  She has 2 Akita's, an English Bulldog (80 lbs).  She worked at my company in the precision photomask laboratory.  I am very proud of her.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

The Gorilla in the photo is from the San Diego Zoo, arguably one of the better zoos when it comes to enclosure habitat.  They moved away from just a place to show-off animals to one of the preeminent animal and habitat conservation organizations in the world.  This gorilla also has 3 other males in his bachelor group.  Their enclosure is quite large, and includes a pool, river and rock outcropping where they can get away from the prying eyes of visitors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sadly remember being very young and the day when my family went to the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago.  It was in the 40's. 

I remember seeing an Anaconda, a huge one in it's "pen".  It was a cement inclosure with only some ledges to contain the water when it was hosed out to clean it.  Otherwise there was nothing for the snake, just a relatively empty cage.  At feeding time they threw a dead Chicken in with it.  I remember feeling so sorry for it.

Then they had a Gorilla exhibit that was the same thing.  A cement room devoid of anything to amuse or interest the Gorilla.  He just sat in the corner like he was waiting to die.

I think back on those memories and feel so bad for those animals.  Some places today seem to have the same attitudes toward animals.  It's painful when you see it.

Yes, many places that can afford better accommodations for animals do provide them.  But old memories are hard to shake.

• Like 1

The Memphis and Knoxville and Atlanta zoos were once that way. All have been transformed.

I recall hearing that Andrew Young, when he was an Atlanta mayor, visited their zoo and told them it was a disgrace. He set a deadline to make it right or get out. They made it right.

The Memphis zoo was in the doldrums expecting to be torn apart by I-40. The citizens stopped that and the zoo went on to become a great one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s whatcha learn after you think you know it all that really counts. 

I was researching C S Forester, creator of Horatio Hornblower, and learned (among other things) that the Canadian boats which sail into the spray and mist at Niagara Falls are called “Hornblower”. Formerly they were called “Maid of the Mist” which is the name still used for the American vessels. 

I knew Hornblower had been an inspiration for the original Star Trek and had been an inspiration to Tom Clancy. 

I did not know that Weber had created a whole science fiction universe based on Hornblower. And I was not aware that Forester wrote some science fiction. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._S._Forester

• Like 1

• Eric featured this topic