What do you think? Best sounding engines

tous

Saleen S7R followed by a couple C5Rs. The C5Rs were so much louder in person than the S7. The Lola Judd (37 car) sounded great in person as well.

Panoz LMP01. The only ford I loved the sound of. Was even louder than the 7 liter C5s. Felt it as much as heard it.

I got to hear this one at daytona in 2002. In the middle of the night it echoed back and forth across the grandstands.

• Like 1

A Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp radial engine in both the F6F Hellcat and the F4U Corsair for piston engines.

The General Electric J-79 Turbojet engine in the USAF F-104 Starfighter and the Marine Corps F-4B Phantom II.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2018 at 10:04 AM, F14Scott said:

The flawed but mighty Pratt TF-30!

Scott, surely the F-14A had an APU, no?

Is testing the air refueling probe a normal part of the after engine start checklist?

How long can an A sit at static ground idle?

You guys ever have a problem with the air refueling probe doors departing the aircraft and vanishing when deployed going just a tad too fast?

Edited by tous

An oddball favorite of mine.   Tanner Foust's custom Volkswagen Passat with an LSX and very interesting hand built 8 into 1 exhaust.   It just screams.    

It may be clear in my past post that I am an all V8 sounds guy. ;)  

55 minutes ago, Mr. Black said:

Tanner Foust's custom Volkswagen Passat with an LSX and very interesting hand built 8 into 1 exhaust.    ;) 

Has there ever been a car model that someone hasn't dropped in an LS?  I've seen one in a Scion FRS and a Miata.

Scott, surely the F-14A had an APU, no?

Is testing the air refueling probe a normal part of the after engine start checklist?

How long can an A sit at static ground idle?

You guys ever have a problem with the air refueling probe doors departing the aircraft and vanishing when deployed going just a tad too fast?

No internal APU. We needed a huffer and electrical to start; we couldn't start on our own. All our XCs had to be to .mil fields.

Yes, we would test the probe before every flight.

The A had no restrictions on time at idle. I've done it for at least an hour at the hold short when a JMSDF P-3 kicked the arresting cable out of battery.

Having something break off and go down the motor was the biggest fear of A2A refueling. The probe itself was very strong, but the panels of the fuselage's skin affixed to it were prone to getting torn off, so much so that some squadrons would remove them at the boat, since tanking happens so often, there. The basket, especially from the KC-135, whose hose was short and rigid, was also very dangerous.

I don't recall the doors ever coming off just from flying; it was always a refueling event gone bad.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1