Random Posting

Eric

45 minutes ago, Eric said:

I hate to see those Crown Vics going away. They were outstanding cars.

Mine was a traveling office.  I loved that thing.  And they could take a BEATING....we would hot swap cars at my PD and later SO.

My shift would start and I'd take 972 (smelled a little like skunk) for the next 10-12 hours...(shift overlaps) and someone would take the office after me.

At one point i had a really nice Mustang that was a beast.  Not great for transporting prisoners...but in a straight away i could have beat a small airplane.

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Historian said:

Mine was a traveling office.  I loved that thing.  And they could take a BEATING....we would hot swap cars at my PD and later SO.

My shift would start and I'd take 972 (smelled a little like skunk) for the next 10-12 hours...(shift overlaps) and someone would take the office after me.

At one point i had a really nice Mustang that was a beast.  Not great for transporting prisoners...but in a straight away i could have beat a small airplane.

I still see Crown Vics on the job in some places and they have been out of production for eight years. I understand that a lot of agencies bought a lot of extra Crown Vics in 2011 and drove the wheels off of them. Hell, after all the use/abuse they got as cop cars, most of them then began second careers as taxis. I think the taxi drivers rode them harder than the LEOs. It is a testament to the cars that they hold up so well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I still see Crown Vics on the job in some places and they have been out of production for eight years. I understand that a lot of agencies bought a lot of extra Crown Vics in 2011 and drove the wheels off of them. Hell, after all the use/abuse they got as cop cars, most of them then began second careers as taxis. I think the taxi drivers rode them harder than the LEOs. It is a testament to the cars that they hold up so well. 

We still have quite a few in our fleet.  Maybe 30 percent?  They are losing ground to SUVs as we nearly lost a deputy in a major accident about five years ago.  So the Sheriff wanted more structure in the vehicle.

That being said...the Crowns glide across the road.  They had a really nice suspension and just took a beating (as you pointed out).

I was really surprised Ford sunsetted that model.  

We'll see them around a while.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Historian said:

We still have quite a few in our fleet.  Maybe 30 percent?  They are losing ground to SUVs as we nearly lost a deputy in a major accident about five years ago.  So the Sheriff wanted more structure in the vehicle.

That being said...the Crowns glide across the road.  They had a really nice suspension and just took a beating (as you pointed out).

I was really surprised Ford sunsetted that model.  

We'll see them around a while.

Ford and GM have been trying to shove LE agencies into FWD-based fleets for decades, but they finally got some traction in the last ten years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eric said:

Gotta love those Fox bodies. 

Eric, i was on may way back from the jail when i had to kick the tires and light a fire and go after a friend of mine who was asking for backup.

I stepped on the peddle i swear that car settled down and launched like a Polaris missile from a submarine and i was the payload.  I went from about 55 to 120 in stupid seconds...and that dang thing growled and wanted MORE.

I was one turtle away from a geosynchronous orbit.

To this day i have no idea how much over the speed of sound i was at that day.  I aimed the vehicle for several minutes and likely half my county...i got off the peddle about two miles out of town and make a right hand turn leaving and looking like Evil Knievel jumping the snake river.

Steve McQueen needed that car.  Not me.  I will never be that cool....Steve McQueen cool in my life.

When i got out of that car i took vinyl with me. 

Edited by Historian

23 minutes ago, Historian said:

She has big guns...so to speak.

Just...look at that airplane. (cough)

I like the self assurance and determination,  self confidence in a woman is a wonderful thing,  I prefer my woman to be my equal and not subservient or dominating,  I don't do dominating!

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Historian said:

Eric, i was on may way back from the jail when i had to kick the tires and light a fire and go after a friend of mine who was asking for backup.

I stepped on the peddle i swear that car settled down and launched like a Polaris missile from a submarine and i was the payload.  I went from about 55 to 120 in stupid seconds...and that dang thing growled and wanted MORE.

I was one turtle away from a geosynchronous orbit.

To this day i have no idea how much over the speed of sound i was at that day.  I aimed the vehicle for several minutes and likely half my county...i left of the peddle about two miles out of town and make a right hand turn leaving and looking like Evil Knievel jumping the snake river.

Steve McQueen needed that car.  Not me.  I will never be that cool....Steve McQueen cool in my life.

Old Fox body Mustangs are starting to fetch a little money. There is a growing enthusiast community growing around them.

I always liked the LXs with trunks, rather than hatchbacks. That body was built originally only for LE sales, but even though they were later sold to the public, they are hard to come by. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I don't do dominating!

I don't have that issue.  ;)  If she wants to play June Cleaver  i can live with that. ;)  Fetch me my martini, wench.  ;)

But i agree.  Most of the time.  I prefer them to be equal.

Unless...she's into that sort of thing.   Wink wink nudge nudge.

Say no more! A wink is as good as a nod to a blind man. 

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

Old Fox body Mustangs are starting to fetch a little money. There is a growing enthusiast community growing around them.

I always liked the LXs with trunks, rather than hatchbacks. That body was built originally only for LE sales, but even though they were later sold to the public, they are hard to come by. 

You are right.  There is a cult following on the FHP model in particular because the engine was modified for them, and so was the suspension.   It's a car for someone who wants to drive and enjoy it.

Some PD/SO had them jet black.    Good luck spotting that  car.  They had Klingon cloaking devices in them.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did some reading on 536AD....that...was a year that sucked monumentally.

1315 was special for Europe as well.  The rain started in May and did not stop until August and was followed by four of the coldest winters of the millennium. Two separate animal epidemics killed 80 percent of the live stock.  War between Scotland and England, France and Fladners and two rival claimants to the Holy Roman Empire destroyed all remaining farmland.

Six million died.  One eighth of Europe's total population.

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic