Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

1965 Cutlass 442. I graduated high school in 1966 and in 1965 and I had a good friend who was a rich kid and his parents bought him a brand new 442 in 1965. It was just like the one in the picture below except when it was new it had the red stripe tires but he soon wore the tread off the rear tires from doing burnouts. The 442 was a lot faster than the GTO and back then I had another friend who's mom had a 64 GTO and it wasn't nearly as fast but that car had the standard 4 barrel engine and the tri-power cars were a little faster. Oldsmobile built a few tri-power 442's in 66 but very few, and mostly the tri-power  set-ups for the 442's were a dealer installed options.

1965cutlass 442a.JPG

• Like 3

Several years ago I came across the picture of the old car hauler on the internet and after searching  found that the first picture was authentic and the truck had been bought by the Keystone Truck & Tractor Museum in VA. The second picture was taken at the museum as the truck sits outside. There was another picture I found that had a story of how the truck, trailer and cars had all been restored. That is a fake. As far as I could find, the truck still sits outside of the museum, visible from the nearby interstate highway. I am going to follow up this post with several vehicles found at the museum.

Keystone Truck & Tractor Museum

There’s something for everyone at the sprawling Keystone Truck & Tractor Museum in Colonial Heights, Virginia. Despite its name, in addition to the 185 tractors and 100 trucks, there are about two dozen classic cars along with 10 fire engines and a handful of motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles.

The collection is rounded out with 2,000 toy trucks, plus petroliana and Americana that includes antique gas pumps, vintage tools, tobacco farming memorabilia, and a treeful of chainsaws.

Keystone Truck & Tractor Museum - Colonial Heights, VA - 1951 Car Hauler With Four 1956 Chevys.jpg

Keystone Truck & Tractor Museum - Colonial Heights, VA - 1951 Car Hauler With Four 1956 Chevys - 1.jpg

Keystone Truck & Tractor Museum - Colonial Heights, VA - 1951 Car Hauler With Four 1956 Chevys - 2.png

• Like 3

Keystone Truck & Tractor Museum - 1939 German-Built Lanz One Cylinder Hot-Bulb Tractor

The mammoth German-built 1939 Lanz Bulldog single-cylinder hot-bulb semi-diesel engine has one of the more archaic starting systems. It’s a 20-minute process that involves a blowtorch, along with the driver taking the steering wheel and shaft out of the cabin and inserting it into the side of the engine to crank it up. It’s not exactly conducive to quick startups.

Museum curator Alan “Bones” Stone demonstrated the arduous process of starting the German-built 1939 Lanz one cylinder hot-bulb tractor. The Bulldog is a behemoth and takes giant amounts of courage to crank over

Keystone Truck & Tractor Museum - 1939 German-Built Lanz One Cylinder Hot-Bulb Tractor.jpg

Keystone Truck & Tractor Museum - 1939 German-Built Lanz One Cylinder Hot-Bulb Tractor - 2.jpg

• Like 2