Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

2 hours ago, blueiron said:

image.png.c984e78820334d7df75ee95d64747f18.png

I want a 1956 Packard Caribbean convertible with the Neapolitan paint option shown here.

My friend in High School, had a brother that was the highest sales salesman at the Packard dealer in town.  He won a Tri-Color Packard Caribbean Convertible for his sales numbers ( My town was a good Packard town).  It had a push button automatic transmission.

My friend got a bunch of us to go for a ride in his brother's new Packard.  We drove down to a big park area on the Mississippi river.  It was a very long steep drive down to the park  On the way out, he said, "watch, I'm typing!", and he started randomly punching the shift buttons while we were driving up the entry road. 

The car suddenly stopped and wouldn't move forward or backwards.  He called the dealership and they sent a wrecker out.  One wrecker couldn't pull us up the drive, so they had a second pushing to get us up to the street level. Then put it on the "hook" and hauled it away.

The transmission was toast and the kid said his "bro" was pissed!  No more rides in the convertible!

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 8:30 PM, janice6 said:

The transmission was toast and the kid said his "bro" was pissed!  No more rides in the convertible!

The electrically shifted Ultramatic transmission was an expensive option and it wasn't known for being robust. Pushing gear buttons while driving would be akin to randomly shifting into Reverse, Drive, Park, and Low in a GM Powerglide tranny while moving and grenading the gearsets.

Reading that story makes me cringe.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueiron said:

The electrically shifted Ultramatic transmission was an expensive option and it wasn't known for being robust. Pushing gear buttons while driving would be akin to randomly shifting into Reverse, Drive, Park, and Low in a GM Powerglide tranny while moving and grenading the gearsets.

Reading that story makes me cringe.  

Honestly, if doing something like that now I'd incorporate an interlock into the brake pedal.  No brake pedal - no shift into Park or Reverse.

• Like 2