It's Caturday!!!

Cubdriver

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stranger seems to have fully recovered from his injured and infected foot and upper respiratory infection and neutering.

Having a hard time making myself return him to the outdoors. I know from personal experience over time that outdoor cats in a rural setting can live as long as they could as an indoor only cat.

Longhair lived 14+/- years outdoors here before need for insulin injections caused me to bring him indoors. The three kittens I kept from the most recent litter born here were indoors only and died at one, three, and five.

My knowledge is waging war with my emotions. 

IMG_5844.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2024 at 11:05 AM, railfancwb said:

I know from personal experience over time that outdoor cats in a rural setting can live as long as they could as an indoor only cat.

I have a hard time with this.  I think in general outdoor cats live short violent lives compared to their indoor cousins.

I've seen half a dozen killed or maimed from fights or cars or whatever while indoor Kitty is fine in the same timeframe.

An exception could be barn cats on a farm.  My uncle had a dozen at any given time and they were all thriving.  Predators stay away from the barn in general because of the bigger critters and there is always plenty of food.  They always seemed to be the friendliest of cats too, like they knew they got lucky.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peng said:

I have a hard time with this.  I think in general outdoor cats live short violent lives compared to their indoor cousins.

I've seen half a dozen killed or maimed from fights or cars or whatever while indoor Kitty is fine in the same timeframe.

An exception could be barn cats on a farm.  My uncle had a dozen at any given time and they were all thriving.  Predators stay away from the barn in general because of the bigger critters and there is always plenty of food.  They always seemed to be the friendliest of cats too, like they knew they got lucky.

Generally I agree.

My daughter, also rural, has lost outdoor cats to vehicles - bodies found. She lives close to the road, almost city street close. She may have lost a few to predictors as well. Has eight patio cats, five of which were born on the property less than a year ago. I worry about them.

I live much further away from the road than she does and so far have lost none to the road. Almost barn cat distant. All of my outdoor cats have been what I call mature homesteaders. Several have moved inside due to aging or illness/injury.

Another recent homesteader, Ely, came here with a crippled foot and had already been spayed. Brought her in because the crippled foot significantly interferes with fight/flight. Let Ely and Stranger share a room this morning, and so far things are going well  here is a picture of Ely.

IMG_6182.jpeg

• Like 2