Rough Seas

Been through rough seas like that.  Break through a wave and take 40 foot high green water over the flying bridge of my little ship.  It's really more exhilarating than frightening.  The acceleration when the ship is being lifted maybe 40 feet straight up very fast, is a great thrill.  So is the (feels like) free fall on the other side when you drop very fast.

Bigger ships have a tougher time since the stresses on the structure are immense, think supported in the middle and over hanging on each end.

My ship was small enough that we could and did, ride the trough of the storm wave  in absolute calm.

I got seasick one morning going out to sea.  Was nauseous for a time and over it by the time we passed the breakwater and hit the open sea.

It's hard to not feel sick when the ship is tossing, rocking, and rolling, violently mixing the diesel fuel in the bilges with the salt seawater.  A most disgusting smell that permeates the ships interior.

• Like 2

We got to the Mediterranean to meet up with the 6th fleet in Beirut.  I was in a bar with some guys from the USS Ranger (IIRC) and they asked how my ship rode out the storm?  They said it was so violent they felt the ship move...................   :78: I never felt our ship stop moving.