Lost Submersible

Eric

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

titan deals.jpg

I just bought the submersible drone below at an auction to resell. It can dive to 400 feet and it has enough battery life to stay down 8 or 9 hours. Interestingly enough, that very controller is one of the optional accessories you can use to control it. True story. :supergrin:

61g5cAnXScL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/25/2023 at 1:18 AM, Silentpoet said:

I think aside from the engineering failure, it was a culture failure.  Stockton Rush only wanted yes men and yes women who wouldn't be too expensive.  Innovation is good to a point, but when we are talking lives here you have to be able to say something is bullshit and not working.  I don't know how much of it is possible money pressures as they seemed to be cutting more corners and expenses as they went along.  On the last voyage and maybe some before that the sub was freaking towed over the open ocean because the mother ship could not carry it and launch it from aboard. How much role the stresses of that tow affected hull integrity, questionable enough as it was already, we may not know. 

One of the reasons that the Military prefers younger people in the armed forces, is that they can be trained to obey and do what they are told.   Older people tend to analyze the approach to the problem and consider its possible effect on them personally.  This isn't obedience at all costs.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
On 7/25/2023 at 1:18 AM, Silentpoet said:

I think aside from the engineering failure, it was a culture failure.  Stockton Rush only wanted yes men and yes women who wouldn't be too expensive.  Innovation is good to a point, but when we are talking lives here you have to be able to say something is bullshit and not working.  I don't know how much of it is possible money pressures as they seemed to be cutting more corners and expenses as they went along.  On the last voyage and maybe some before that the sub was freaking towed over the open ocean because the mother ship could not carry it and launch it from aboard. How much role the stresses of that tow affected hull integrity, questionable enough as it was already, we may not know. 

I believe that technological challenges are better faced by "practical Engineers" than "Philosophers".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1