Kimber

Hook

Kimber shadow lw ghost 679. I hear so many negative reviews and stuff about Kimber. Would you guys own one? If not what do you recommend? Looking for a kinda budget 45. Local has a colt series four gov. model match or maybe gold cup. Will have to double check they want 979. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Hook said:

Kimber shadow lw ghost 679. I hear so many negative reviews and stuff about Kimber. Would you guys own one? If not what do you recommend? Looking for a kinda budget 45. Local has a colt series four gov. model match or maybe gold cup. Will have to double check they want 979. 

I've been carrying the same Kimber 5" .45 for more than twenty years. It is still a tack driver and it never, ever jams. They make damn good pistols.

KimberCarry.jpeg

KimberCDP.thumb.jpeg.71697fcf55ebb1c7694cec433cfe093f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

I've been carrying the same Kimber 5" .45 for more than twenty years. It is still a tack driver and it never, ever jams. They make damn good pistols.

KimberCarry.jpeg

KimberCDP.thumb.jpeg.71697fcf55ebb1c7694cec433cfe093f.jpeg

Is 679 a good price in your opinion? Seems like a good price to me.

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Hook said:

FWIW, I have had mixed results with 3" & 4" 1911s, of any maker. It is damn hard to get the shorter 1911s to feed reliably. The 5" isn't a hard pistol to conceal and with it, you get a consistently more reliable pistol, with a longer sight radius.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Hook said:

Is 679 a good price in your opinion? Seems like a good price to me.

In $20 years, the only part I have ever needed to replace on my Kimber is the night sights. I have had it so long, I outlasted a set of night sights. :supergrin: It really has been an amazing pistol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

FWIW, the Hogue wraparound grips are the cat's ass on a 1911. I probably wouldn't carry one if it weren't for those grips. The Hogues take a pistol that has always felt a bit awkward to me and made it fit my hand like a glove.

• Like 1

The first 1911 I bought was a used perfect condition Kimber Custom II.  As said before, it's a tack driver, zero problems.  A dream to shoot.  When I have a problem with another gun I take out the Kimber and shoot a few rounds.  It always tells me if my problem is the gun or the shooter.

I can't remember how long ago I bought it.  I paid $700 at the time, but didn't know much about what I was doing, just that I loved 1911's and wanted it.

At least in the 90's when I bought it.  My son has a Colt Gold cup and although it's a great gun, I love my Kimber too much to change.  I don't carry it since it's a single stack and now days the bugs depend on numbers so I chose more rounds.  I still carry a .45 though, favorite smooth shooting round.  Now it's a G41.

You can't go wrong in a Kimber in my opinion.

• Like 1