2022 Gardening Thread

Mrs.Cicero

What's up out of the ground where you are?

Here in Zone 5 I've started the celery, onions, and leeks in the house.  The overwintered spinach in the hoop house is looking pretty ragged (I took the extra cover off and forgot to put it back on when the temps dropped again - oops).  Sugaring season has started - my neighbors have their buckets hanging from their maples.  I wish I had maples large enough to tap.  I have 12 tires to cut for raised beds, and more to pick up about 45 minutes away.  I hope they all fit in the truck, cause I don't want to drive the trailer.  Oh, and my irises and muscari are a couple inches tall.  

Has anyone successfully grown hardy kiwi and actually gotten fruit?

• Thanks 1

I picked a bole of cotton while down south a month ago. (i got no reparations)

I pulled the seeds out and put them on a wet sponge, not expecting much, if anything.

Jeez.  I came home last week and they had all sprouted, fully.

Now I've got six or nine cotton plants, growing robustly, in a pot.  I'll put them outside later.

Then I'm going to jump down, run around.......

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Not a thing here yet. The winter stom we had last year seems to have reset things. 

Usual suspects started in the house a few days ago. It'll give me about 5 weeks till last frost

I still have 10 more weeks til last frost.  It can't come soon enough...

• Like 1

Plant hardiness zone 9 and 10 here in San Jose, CA.  I still have a few tomatoes from a rogue plant that survived since last season.

I'm cleaning the weeds out of my five 25 gallon and five 30 gallon grow bags to get ready for spring. 

I planted some dichondra during our two 'warm' periods this year.  It's germinated and I'll probably never be able to get rid of this cousin to those invasive morning glories that I wished I'd never planted.  I have a tray of tomato seeds set out in the primo sunny spot in my yard.  If they sprout, I'll pull out my few remaining bok choy plants and get a start on a new batch of bok choi and kale (plus the tomatoes).

Also, a couple of little zuchini type sprouts popped up.  I'll leave those in the ground until I can ID them.

A little lemon tree in my back yard has a bunch of last years lemons ripening nicely.  they're mostly all yellow now.  We pick them when we need them for cooking.  And the same tree has this season's crop coming in.  They're still green and small.  But the tree really took off when I sprayed it with horticultural (neem) oil and increased my watering. 

• Like 1

Zone 6A here.

I can finally see the dirt in my garden again but have not put much thought into planting.  Didn't do anything inside this year.

The rabbits and squirrels are anxiously awaiting my plans for their buffet.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Plant hardiness zone 9 and 10 here in San Jose, CA.  I still have a few tomatoes from a rogue plant that survived since last season.

I'm cleaning the weeds out of my five 25 gallon and five 30 gallon grow bags to get ready for spring. 

I planted some dichondra during our two 'warm' periods this year.  It's germinated and I'll probably never be able to get rid of this cousin to those invasive morning glories that I wished I'd never planted.  I have a tray of tomato seeds set out in the primo sunny spot in my yard.  If they sprout, I'll pull out my few remaining bok choy plants and get a start on a new batch of bok choi and kale (plus the tomatoes).

I found a little cannabis sprout mixed in with my dichondra and I moved it into a grow bag in the back yard. It's way to early the sprout this stuff, but I'll keep it around. I composted over three gallons of the stuff last fall and I suppose a seed survived the process.  Also, a couple of little zuchini type sprouts popped up.  I'll leave those in the ground until I can ID them.

A little lemon tree in my back yard has a bunch of last years lemons ripening nicely.  they're mostly all yellow now.  We pick them when we need them for cooking.  And the same tree has this season's crop coming in.  They're still green and small.  But the tree really took off when I sprayed it with horticultural (neem) oil and increased my watering. 

Do those grow bags work well?  I've never tried them, but I need to expand the garden, and I'd rather do that than broad fork more soil this year...

4 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Do those grow bags work well?  I've never tried them, but I need to expand the garden, and I'd rather do that than broad fork more soil this year...

Yes, they work fine.  The only problem is that (unlike a pot) you can't really move them once they are fulI of dirt.  think the thirty gallon bags are overkill, as I've never had a root ball get that large. Even the twenty five gallon bags may be larger than I need. They are cheaper than pots, but time will tell how long they last. 

The adobe soil here is so high in clay that I've been adding compost, store bought soil and peat to it for years.  I finally have a pretty good mix going.  If the soil in one bag doesn't do well, I drag the contents out to my soil pile and remix it the following winter. 

https://vivosun.com/products/vivosun-grow-bags-black-5-pack

• Thanks 1