RMR Red Dot Sigits

Swampfox762

Damnit...I been tryin...

My buddy even gave me an RMR, but I fucked it up and it won' t adjust.  Probably cause I bottomed out the down screw, and now it's 4" High on the dot on target.

ANYWAY....I think I'm just too Old. 

I pull out my gun and Point,... All I see is the front sight on torso, Bingo.  BANG. 

With that fancy Red Dot RMR, now it's a whole different concept for me.  It would be a complete "Re-train". 

All I'm use to seein is my front sight on my target.  I ain't lookin for no "Framed" red dot thing on my target.  Am I alone here? 

How many of ya actually have a RMR Red Dot sight on your CARRY PISTOL???  

Like I said...I'm tryin, but I think I'm bout done.  As cool as I think it is...just ain't me.

• Thanks 1

it takes a while to adjust to the red dots, because you only see the dot when you're already lined up pretty closely and the gun is in front of your eye.   If it's not straight enough, you might not be able to tell which direction you need to move the muzzle for the dot to come into view.

With standard sights as soon as you've raised the firearm into your vision you can see what's going on and which way you'd need to move the gun for things to line up. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

Damnit...I been tryin...

My buddy even gave me an RMR, but I fucked it up and it won' t adjust.  Probably cause I bottomed out the down screw, and now it's 4" High on the dot on target.

ANYWAY....I think I'm just too Old. 

I pull out my gun and Point,... All I see is the front sight on torso, Bingo.  BANG. 

With that fancy Red Dot RMR, now it's a whole different concept for me.  It would be a complete "Re-train". 

All I'm use to seein is my front sight on my target.  I ain't lookin for no "Framed" red dot thing on my target.  Am I alone here? 

How many of ya actually have a RMR Red Dot sight on your CARRY PISTOL???  

Like I said...I'm tryin, but I think I'm bout done.  As cool as I think it is...just ain't me.

I do and have for years.  I found that when you draw and bring the pistol up you first look for the front sight.  While doing that the Red Dot comes into your field of view and now you have the advantage of a lack of parallax using the dot for a sight.

I like it better than the gun sights, but I agree it's not "instead of", just adjunct to.

My battery last for about 6 months continuous.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

If it's not straight enough, you might not be able to tell which direction you need to move the muzzle for the dot to come into view.

With standard sights as soon as you've raised the firearm into your vision you can see what's going on and which way you'd need to move the gun for things to line up. 

That right there is what I'm talkin about.  And, it's split seconds like that that could make a fatal difference.Thanks!:patriot:

16 hours ago, janice6 said:

I do and have for years.  I found that when you draw and bring the pistol up you first look for the front sight.  While doing that the Red Dot comes into your field of view and now you have the advantage of a lack of parallax using the dot for a sight.

I like it better than the gun sights, but I agree it's not "instead of", just adjunct to.

My battery last for about 6 months continuous.

Got a guy that says He can fix my screwed up RMR sight, so I'm gonna take him up on it and give it a try.  I sure like the concept and It it's zeroed correctly I can see where it would be the Cats Meow at the Range!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Got a guy that says He can fix my screwed up RMR sight, so I'm gonna take him up on it and give it a try.  I sure like the concept and It it's zeroed correctly I can see where it would be the Cats Meow at the Range!

When I first got mine, I didn't use it correctly and I would bring the gun up while looking for the dot.  This made getting on target much longer and made the hard sights seem faster.  It's all in how you do it.

One of the best reasons for a red dot is when you want to move from one target to another.  You have the dot and a wide field of view, so you don't lose sight of the target or the background while moving.

Good luck to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Anyone who can hold a gun level can learn point shooting "good enough."

I believe that.  I have done point shooting since I started shooting.  Out to a reasonable range it's very accurate and it helps immensely if you believe in your ability to hit the target.  You shouldn't concentrate on position.  I just draw and point with the gun.  It's remarkably accurate if you believe in your ability.

My reason for point shooting is that it makes you quicker if you don't have to bring the gun to your field of vision.  You move the gun 1/2 the distance you would to eyeball aim, and at a reasonable distance (as you said) your target is relatively large.

I found that point shooting for me is much easier and more accurate with a longer barrel, so my daily carry is a G41 or a 4" .357 Magnum.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

i`ve never been a big fan of RMR on a handgun i`m sure they have a place, but not really my thing.

i do use a Red Dot on my AR though.

I'm not willing to do without my Holosun. I tried one on a pistol once and it's ok, but a must on a short AR.

• Like 2