Courtesy Reminder of Jury Service starting November 22, 2021

Duluth

After the last day,  they let us out,  there were a bunch of local rabbble-rousers hanging on the front steps,  and a bunch of news people.

Most people stayed,  because they were allowed to ask the judge questions.

I split.

I elbowed the news-guys off,  and stiff-armed some family,  and got in my '68, green, Malibu,  with the crushed-in door. No one followed me.

• Like 2

After the selection, me, and even other people from my work,  were hanging out up front.

The lady announced, "If I call your name, go home!  You're dismissed!"

They called my name.

I split.

Stopped at the bar (I'm getting paid for this!), chug, for an hour,  and went home.  Stopped for a 12-pack on the way.

When I got home,  my phone was ringing non-stop,  the machine was full. Do I look like I care?  Chug. Bikers.

After an hour I answered  it.

It was the court.

• Like 1

I had been, incorrectly, dismissed.  I had to come back.

So I did,  pretty much kind of  drunk, after driving like that, and had to go before the judge, pretty much drunk, all by myself, and he explained it to me, that  it wasn't my fault and I wasn't in any trouble.

He asked who I had met, or talked to.  I said, burp, the beer-store guy.

Did I discuss the case?

No.

They said come back tomorrow morning,  and let me go, drunk.

• Like 1

When I got back to the courthouse,  there were 25 people,  standing in the parking lot,  not allowed to leave,  while I was at the bar for an hour,  and chugging,  while ignoring the phone for an hour,  chugging,  until I got there, drunk.

So,  some people I worked with said, "Way to Go! *******!"

And I didn't even do anything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

They do the initial interview with everyone there and I always get excused. 
No record. Worked in a prison. Own guns. Regular church attendance. Know a lot of cops. Know a couple judges. 
Defender tosses me out. 

Same here.  And i told them I thought it was my obligation to serve if called.   Just too much background.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Duluth said:

I've never done Jury Service before...I'm in group number 29 and the courts will be closed Thanksgiving and the Friday after. Do any of you have experience with this? Any idea of the odds I'll be called in? 

Well.  No telling what the chances are.    Bring a book so you won't get board.   The process is pretty slow.

Most of the time the cases are small and over in a day or two.  If its a long one then they will tell you that and you can tell them you either can or can't do provide the service.

On the bright side...normally you won't get called again for a while.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Valmet said:

I’ve been called twice but only had to serve once. Was the first juror “struck” as I showed up with a suit on (Richmond, Virginia). 

First time I was called to Jury Duty...it ended up being a Grand Jury.  :angryfire:  I was stuck for 6 friggin months.  Last time I was called I was out in an hour.  I said "Yes, I believe in the death penalty, and I'm considered a Racist".  Course now days I wouldn't even need the death penalty part.  I'm white, so I'm a racist.  I'm our!!:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Got called last year, there were no trials that week cause of covidiocy, so I didn't have to go in at all.  Got called again last month, had to go in Monday, didn't get picked for the only jury being seated that day, no juries seated on Tuesday so no one went, group wasn't called for Wednesday's juries and no juries seated Thursday or Friday - so out of the whole week, I was only there Monday morning.  Got paid my $22.50 + mileage and that was it.

The one jury being seated Monday was with a retired judge helping to clear the covid backlog (the case was from 2018)... they only seated 3 juries all week - that's not going to clear the backlog, it's going to make it worse.  So much for a speedy trial...

• Like 1

Juror Attire

1. "Please dress appropriately for court. Shorts, hats, halter or tank tops and jeans with tears are not acceptable courtroom attire. The courtrooms can be quite cool, so dress accordingly. ;"

My peers wear the above. Who are we trying to impress?

And who is in a position to judge what is appropriate garb in a courtroom?