U.S. trade judge finds Google infringed five Sonos patents

pipedreams

Someone finally took on Google.................

"(Reuters) – A U.S. trade judge ruled on Friday that Alphabet Inc’s Google infringed five patents belonging to Sonos Inc that concern smart speakers and related technology, a decision that could lead to an import ban.

The brief ruling from Charles Bullock, the chief administrative law judge of the U.S. International Trade Commission, did not explain why Google’s sale of the products violated a 1930 federal tariff law, commonly known as Smoot-Hawley, designed to prevent unfair competition.

Sonos has been trying to block Google from importing Home smart speakers, Pixel phones and other products from China.

Google did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Sonos said it was pleased with the preliminary ruling, which it said “confirmed Google’s blatant infringement” and furthered its efforts to defend its technology against alleged misappropriation by larger rivals."

https://www.oann.com/u-s-trade-agency-finds-google-infringed-five-sonos-patents/

Shares of Sonos were up 11.4% in after-hours trading.

• Like 1

Both use microphones, voice recognition and analyzing what has been said on THEIR servers and not your device. Both are spying piece of **** companies.

I bought the last batch of Sonos speakers before they started integrating microtones on all speakers.

If my Sonos system ever dies I will build my own music streaming speaker system based on custom build speaker boxes with integrated Raspberry Pi boxes running Linux and open source streaming / playback software.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, crockett said:

Both use microphones, voice recognition and analyzing what has been said on THEIR servers and not your device. Both are spying piece of **** companies.

I bought the last batch of Sonos speakers before they started integrating microtones on all speakers.

If my Sonos system ever dies I will build my own music streaming speaker system based on custom build speaker boxes with integrated Raspberry Pi boxes running Linux and open source streaming / playback software.

Any way I can rig a DeWalt Bluetooth speaker to snitch on my employees? 😄

22 minutes ago, crockett said:

The ITC case is part of an array of litigation between the two companies. 

30 minutes ago, crockett said:

Ohhhhh. I just love it when you guys "talk dirty"  WTF is a Raspberry Pi box.....never mind....

A seriously cool micro computer capable of doing a heck of a lot.  They cost about $100 for a complete kit.  Less without the bits and parts that are extra.

I use mine to pull in pictures of Earth to look at major weather events threatening my region of the US.

They are very popular among guys who like to program.