Who remembers real Stereo Stores?

Batesmotel

Not furniture stores with a few stereos. Not appliance stores with a TV and stereo department. Pre electronic stores with computers and cell phones. Just stereos. 

Everything from cheap All-in-One units with a turntable, radio tuner and 8-track to high end components. 

The salesman knew we were just broke kids. We would go in to buy a new stylus or some other little thing but they would always let us hear a couple tracks on a Marantz or McIntosh they were featuring. 

I miss those days. 

My wife is working from the office today, not from home. I’m working on the kitchen and really cranking the stereo with her out of the house. Just thinking about the days when I could only dream about owning great stereo gear. Long live Rock and Roll. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I recall plenty. I showed up religiously, took home brochures and studied them for months.

I spent a lot of money on high end electronics from Dynaudio, Bang & Olufsen to Sony, Aiwa and Grundig. Below a few examples.

054bb462-9213-11e7-b116-f4507ff9df92_128

8oPlo8m4RRDy9tg1HPcuxjVpw0Fz_sk23rFBdcsr

http://laurent.deschamps.free.fr/v2000/The_V2000_Gallery_fichiers/bando8800.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Found an old photo scan from my living room setup. Must have been early 90s.

2 VHS and 1 S-VHS recorder. Yamaha surround and Sony mono amp (for subwoofer, self build), 2 Sony CD players, sat box, VHS encryption decoder, first ever 16:9 Trinitron TV, was 6,000 Deutsch Mark / USD 10,000.

I miss those times.

image.png.d306de084f584425354060bd35ac2578.png

• Like 1

Those were the days...:greensupergrin:

I had 4 Kappa 9's.  Two Front and 2 Rear, also a set of Kappa 7's next to the 9's on the front stage.  Powered by 2 Yamaha MX 1000 Power Amps.  One for the Rear and one for the front,  All my "components" were Yamaha also.  I think the whole setup back in 87...was around 6.5K   

Infinity Kappa 9 Speakers $1400. Sumo Power Amp and Pre-Amp $475 Photo  #1564697 - US Audio Mart

Infinity Kappa 8 Speakers Rebuilt Polydome Mids/Woofers Refoamed/New Dustcaps

• Like 1

Bit by bit my vinyl/VHS based setup disappeared. Gave the AM/FM/Stereo with turntable and 8-track to a grandson several years ago. By that time the row of 33-1/3 12” vinyl had gone from about 8 feet to about 8 inches so I gave him those as well as the few 8-tracks I still had  

Couple years later vinyl came roaring back.

Still have some VHS tapes and players, and a bunch of CDs and DVDs, all of which are obsolete because of streaming.

Local Walmart now has more shelf space devoted to vinyl than to CDs.

I do remember the dedicated record shops, with bins and bins of 45s and 33-1/3s. Most had booths or earphones for sampling. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I think the whole setup back in 87...was around 6.5K  

lol.

My first apartment had lawn chairs in the living room,  with milk-crate coffee and end tables.  A 12" B&W tv.  My elementary school bunkbeds pushed together.  A folding card table in the kitchen. A $4K stereo system.  Cardboard boxes for a dresser.  Cement block shelves.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Huaco Kid said:

lol.

My first apartment had lawn chairs in the living room,  with milk-crate coffee and end tables.  A 12" B&W tv.  My elementary school bunkbeds pushed together.  A folding card table in the kitchen. A $4K stereo system.  Cardboard boxes for a dresser.  Cement block shelves.

Had your priorities set. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

lol.

I was married in 1969 my man. Wanna hear bout Our Place?? :anim_lol: Had them "Cardboard" CLOSETS...not boxes. and...Cinder Blocks are "Great" Living room enhancements.:biggrin: 

Right out of high school...to a Lady I dated at 16... married right when she got out of high school.  We did many years of workin to get to where I could afford something like that in 1987 Lot of other "decisions" too. I hear ya.  "Lol"...

I remember the better high-end stereo stores had multiple listening rooms, some primarily for speakers, some with furniture and full systems, some car systems.

Dark Side of the Moon was often used to show stuff off. It's also where I discovered Triumvirat.

There were also several bays for auto installations while you wait.