Crow Season?

LostinTexas

OK you guys are gonna have to help a hillbilly out. What the h#ll do you do with a crow? Do you eat them? Make purdy black totems with the feathers? Make Voodoo dolls with them?

Maybe a form of predator hunting? We can shoot them if they are a "Pest" or "Nuisance", otherwise they are protected. Probably not a good idea to make things with the feathers and such. They are usually a PITA, and justifying the taking is pretty easy. 

Just wonder what makes for a season. Thanks

Crow is a Game Bird, and they can be eaten.

i have never had Crow but have never been offered it, i have heard some love it.

Crow also eat the Eggs of Grouse and Hens and other Game Birds.

they can be used as Garden Fertilizer and Cat food if you like.

17 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

Crow is a Game Bird, and they can be eaten.

Never eaten one but i have seen it cooked. 

I do enjoy hunting them every once in a while.  The birds are smart.  They hunt back.  They know what a shotgun is and you need a heavier load.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Historian said:

Never eaten one but i have seen it cooked. 

I do enjoy hunting them every once in a while.  The birds are smart.  They hunt back.  They know what a shotgun is and you need a heavier load.

they are really smart and know how to keep out of range and are natures early warning system.

i`ve hunted them from Farm land because they were pushing out the Pheasants and were Smart enough to keep a constant distance.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

they are really smart and know how to keep out of range and are natures early warning system.

i`ve hunted them from Farm land because they were pushing out the Pheasants and were Smart enough to keep a constant distance.

Right. They are very predatory.  Smart is right.  I hunt a lot of birds.   Each has his own smarts.  Crows...are on a different level.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Historian said:

Right. They are very predatory.  Smart is right.  I hunt a lot of birds.   Each has his own smarts.  Crows...are on a different level.

I watched an amazing documentary about testing the smarts of Crows.  I watched one fashion a tool out of available crap and fish food out of a test tube!  They have an tremendous intelligence level.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I watched an amazing documentary about testing the smarts of Crows.  I watched one fashion a tool out of available crap and fish food out of a test tube!  They have an tremendous intelligence level.

No doubt.  I know when i'm after them...they know it...it's hard to claim one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't wanna go to war with crows.  They hate when you mess with their kinfolk...even if you're trying to help.  They'll poop the hell out of your car...not your wife's car...yours.  Generations will be told what an azz you are.

A crow took an egg out of the robin's nest last year, then waited for the other egg to develop into a strapping youngster, then raided the nest and got a big chick.  This year the robins fledged one chick...I was so jazzed there was a successful nest.

I really like crows.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

You know what tastes better than crow? Palliated Woodpecker. My dad used to eat them when he was young. Claims they are the best tasting bird.

Some Cajun friends say robins are good table fare. Never thought of it, but they have some large breasts and could be something like Mourning Dove,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I guess.

14 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

You know what tastes better than crow? Palliated Woodpecker. My dad used to eat them when he was young. Claims they are the best tasting bird.

Got one of those in my area!  Saw him the other day and most certainly heard him just today.

Sounds like just the dinner item!  You could even clean your teeth after dinner with his beak!

(just kidding)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ay Dios Mio said:

You don't wanna go to war with crows.  They hate when you mess with their kinfolk...even if you're trying to help.  They'll poop the hell out of your car...not your wife's car...yours.  Generations will be told what an azz you are.

A crow took an egg out of the robin's nest last year, then waited for the other egg to develop into a strapping youngster, then raided the nest and got a big chick.  This year the robins fledged one chick...I was so jazzed there was a successful nest.

I really like crows.

Yes, they are smart and ornery. So,,, I guess praetor hunting it is. Never thought of them having a "Season" but plenty of places sell a license for just about everything, here included.