From Mirepoix To Miscalculation

Eric

• Administrators

I made a pot of Vegetable Beef & Barley soup tonight, in an eight-quart stock pot. I miscalculated a bit and by the time it was finished, the soup level was maybe a quarter of an inch from the top of the pot. It took some careful stirring and ladling out. Soup was good stuff. 

6F32797E-8B2D-45D4-ABBB-A61CAC2DB227.thumb.jpeg.a43dbda39e58dd9ced7e90caa958815f.jpeg

CDBDC287-922F-46EA-ADF0-2C3115DDB28A.thumb.jpeg.881d472522b2edc10c834c005bf19700.jpeg

875E4424-134D-4F73-97E9-4766F7BE4919.thumb.jpeg.edb9f3f4dcf796f9355abea880080a8c.jpeg

• Like 7

I miscalculated on the spices in some white chicken chili tonight.  Had to go back and double the recipe to make take the spiciness level down to something everyone else in the family would eat (they liked it, though, so it's ok that there's 2 servings of leftovers to fight over tomorrow)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

When I cook something like this, I always make a lot and freeze most of it.  I just hadn’t intended to make THAT much.

3 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I miscalculated on the spices in some white chicken chili tonight.  Had to go back and double the recipe to make take the spiciness level down to something everyone else in the family would eat (they liked it, though, so it's ok that there's 2 servings of leftovers to fight over tomorrow)

I’ve increased recipes for that reason before. It all works out in the end. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 3

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, tous said:

Don't think of it as a miscalculation.

Consider it an efficient use of the available pot capacity.

I threw in a bag of meatballs that I had in the freezer. That is what very nearly put it over the top. A meatball or two in each bowl of soup will be nice though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Batesmotel said:

I just feed the neighbors. Last year I got an incredible deal on tomatoes. LOTS of tomatoes. Everyone got quarts of tomato soup. 

That’s good of you. I imagine they appreciate it. That sort of neighborly behavior is dying quietly and it is a shame. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Eric said:

I made a pot of Vegetable Beef & Barley soup tonight, in an eight-quart stock pot. I miscalculated a bit and by the time it was finished, the soup level was maybe a quarter of an inch from the top of the pot. It took some careful stirring and ladling out. Soup was good stuff. 

CDBDC287-922F-46EA-ADF0-2C3115DDB28A.thumb.jpeg.881d472522b2edc10c834c005bf19700.jpeg

875E4424-134D-4F73-97E9-4766F7BE4919.thumb.jpeg.edb9f3f4dcf796f9355abea880080a8c.jpeg

That turned out nice. I thought it was way too tomato-y at first pic, but it looks to have cooked down nicely. Mrs. G often puts me in charge of the mirepoix to keep me out of trouble. 

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

I just feed the neighbors. Last year I got an incredible deal on tomatoes. LOTS of tomatoes. Everyone got quarts of tomato soup. 

I'm not big on maters if they're distinguishable. I was shunned in my village as a child for refusing to eat mater, mayo, & white bread sammiches in the garden, as was the custom. But all blended up into a nice Cream o' Mater soup they're perfect for grilled pimento cheese dipping. :eat:

• Like 3