Hang gliding saved my uncles life.

Fog

In the realm of unexpected outcomes hang gliding saved my uncles life.

He was young, he wanted a hang glider. My grandma didn't want him to get one.

My uncle wasn't really a rebel, but if he got an idea he tried it, had to discover things for himself. I guess that's why he owns patents for aerospace technologies. 

Anyway, back before the aerospace stuff he got the hang glider.

Some friends wanted him to go hiking/backpacking with them but he said no he was headed to the coast to try out his new hang glider.

The friends went hiking without him. Mount Saint Helens blew and the friends were never found.

My uncle was at the coast and survived not only flying his hang glider but also the mountain erupting.

My grandmother said she took it as a sign to let him do his thing, it might even work out in the end.

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Fog said:

My uncle wasn't really a rebel, but if he got an idea he tried it, had to discover things for himself. I guess that's why he owns patents for aerospace technologies. 

Some friends wanted him to go hiking/backpacking with them but he said no he was headed to the coast to try out his new hang glider.

The friends went hiking without him. Mount Saint Helens blew and the friends were never found.

My uncle was at the coast and survived not only flying his hang glider but also the mountain erupting.

My grandmother said she took it as a sign to let him do his thing, it might even work out in the end.

A bunch of married females need to read this since they often try to change their husbands once they got the ring on his finger!

Especially younger generations that consider classic gender roles to be obsolete.

And some guys need to grow back their balls!

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

I saved my wife's life.

Immediately after high school,  her and two friends traveled to Louisiana to visit friends.

I drove from Texas to meet them.  I talked her into coming back with me.

The two friends were killed in a laundromat robbery several days later.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Fog said:

Who were his unlucky friends?

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

I saved my wife's life.

Immediately after high school,  her and two friends traveled to Louisiana to visit friends.

I drove from Texas to meet them.  I talked her into coming back with me.

The two friends were killed in a laundromat robbery several days later.

I pushed my wife out of the way of a speeding car that came within less than an inch of hitting me.  We were dating at the time...about 1999.

At the moment i figured if hit...i was going to light that vehicle up with 16 special rounds....before i died.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Who were his unlucky friends?

I don't know. I'll try to remember to ask him. I see him about once every ten years and the last time was Christmas 2013.

I was going through family photos today and saw a picture of my uncle and grandma together. She was his stepmom, I know they sometimes had a rocky relationship. I only ever heard the story from grandma, she passed away in 2017.

I knew some of the Schmidt family in the Silverton area, I think they had a family member killed near the mountain. I don't know if he was logging or what, the family I knew worked in logging all over the PNW. 

1 hour ago, Fog said:

I don't know. I'll try to remember to ask him. I see him about once every ten years and the last time was Christmas 2013.

I was going through family photos today and saw a picture of my uncle and grandma together. She was his stepmom, I know they sometimes had a rocky relationship. I only ever heard the story from grandma, she passed away in 2017.

I knew some of the Schmidt family in the Silverton area, I think they had a family member killed near the mountain. I don't know if he was logging or what, the family I knew worked in logging all over the PNW. 

I knew quite a few of those who died in the eruption.

14 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I knew quite a few of those who died in the eruption.

That must have been hard. Of course in logging everyone has a list of people they know that got killed, but the damn mountain blowing up is a little bit unusual way to go.