White House puts hold on law enforcement grant funding

pipedreams

"Washington D.C. – Law Officer has confirmed through several sources within law enforcement agencies across the country that grant funding to local law enforcement has been placed on hold by the Department of Justice. The Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) Program is the most common form of funding that local law enforcement utilizes each year and is typically used for additional personnel, equipment, and training. The Bulletproof Vest Partnership is also widely used and was created in 1998 to provide funding for 50% of ballistic vest replacements for law enforcement."

https://www.lawofficer.com/white-house-puts-hold-on-law-enforcement-grant-funding/

Ayep.  They just screwed a lot of guys out of a job.  This has been how jobs have been funded for almost 40 years.

This is a big hit.

Trust me. This will come back to be an issue for them.

You know those cops in schools?  That's grant funded usually.  But that's right you don't want that person there.  Regardless of what a positive influence they can be.  Let alone the good guy with the gun (God forbid).

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

Weaning local level off the fed teat might not be a bad thing. Much better to not send the money to DC so they can send it back with strings. 

Short term it is a problem, I worked a few grant positions and have friends that are still working them.

6 hours ago, Fog said:

Weaning local level off the fed teat might not be a bad thing. Much better to not send the money to DC so they can send it back with strings. 

Short term it is a problem, I worked a few grant positions and have friends that are still working them.

I agree to some extent.   The locals have used this a lot for many years.  The locals have not had to face the expense of their departments.

I like the idea of the Feds staying out of local matters.  We've seen the same issue with our schools.  Once the Fed money is there you always have some kind of hook, or connection, or pay off. 

And they never leave.  Fed money is like crack money.  You do it once and you're hooked.

In reality it could be a serious problem.  All the states and local PD/SOs who have grant funded positions are going to have to fix their budgets or lay people off.

I remember seeing this happen locally and we almost lost 12 firefighters.   

This will cause infighting at a local and state level.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1