ATF withdraws Pistol Brace proposed rule

pipedreams

2 minutes ago, BamaBud said:

Aw, hell. They'll just re-issue it next year sometime.

Not going to matter.  They are making a big push to make  most of the things with braces on them SBRs and they will want a tax stamp under the new administration.

Can't quite make them illegal.  But you sure can make it a heck of a lot harder for new ones to be built and sold.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 7:19 AM, Historian said:

Not going to matter.  They are making a big push to make  most of the things with braces on them SBRs and they will want a tax stamp under the new administration.

Can't quite make them illegal.  But you sure can make it a heck of a lot harder for new ones to be built and sold.

This.

The brace handguns will be re-interpreted to become SB weapons and owners can do one of two options: surrender them during an amnesty period or register them as Title II weapons, undergo the paperwork chase, and pay the $200 excise tax. The Mossberg Shockwave and analogues will be re-interpreted as SBS.  

1 hour ago, blueiron said:

This.

The brace handguns will be re-interpreted to become SB weapons and owners can do one of two options: surrender them during an amnesty period or register them as Title II weapons, undergo the paperwork chase, and pay the $200 excise tax. The Mossberg Shockwave and analogues will be re-interpreted as SBS.  

And it's an administrative issue.  Not even a pass the law issue.

Just redefine the product as an taxable item.

And to some extent i personally would not care...i wouldn't mind chucking the brace to SBR that rifle.  But i lost in in a whaling accident.  So the point is moot.

But $200 per magazine over 10 rounds?     AR magazines?   You're going to make it so some dude who works at Walmart or an oil field...fixes trucks for a living is going to need ten tax stamps for 10 magazines?

It will end up going to the supreme court.  With the most common rifle in America..suddenly being called uncommon...it's like calling a duck a truck. They may rime but they ain't the same thing.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Historian said:

And it's an administrative issue.  Not even a pass the law issue.

Just redefine the product as an taxable item.

And to some extent i personally would not care...i wouldn't mind chucking the brace to SBR that rifle.  But i lost in in a whaling accident.  So the point is moot.

But $200 per magazine over 10 rounds?     AR magazines?   You're going to make it so some dude who works at Walmart or an oil field...fixes trucks for a living is going to need ten tax stamps for 10 magazines?

It will end up going to the supreme court.  With the most common rifle in America..suddenly being called uncommon...it's like calling a duck a truck. They may rime but they ain't the same thing.

With all the shenanigans pulled this year it has emboldened certain people.  I have no doubt we will see even crazier things happen in 2021!!

5 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

With all the shenanigans pulled this year it has emboldened certain people.  I have no doubt we will see even crazier things happen in 2021!!

2021 is just now telling 2020...hold my beer. I saw this in a cartoon once.  I think we can do it.

Hold My Beer | Know Your Meme