Spain’s First Astronaut

Eric

• Administrators

20 December 1973, Spanish fascist prime minister who was hand-picked as general Francisco Franco’s successor, Luis Carrero Blanco, was assassinated in Madrid. Basque separatists ETA had spent five months digging a tunnel under a road he went down to attend mass. They then detonated a bomb as he drove over, shooting his car 20 metres into the air and over a five-storey building, earning Blanco the nickname of “Spain’s first astronaut”. His successor was unable to hold together different factions of the government, and so this action was credited by some for helping accelerate the restoration of democracy after Franco’s death.

F6C57856-3D92-4401-A55A-3EBF4D657F35.jpeg.39567aec8c71132dbda808e29de8dc8f.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

That's, like, Matchbox cars, and a model of a city.

Yeah, but the details are legit. I doubt if anyone was standing around with a camera when the original blast happened. That pic is probably from a Spanish movie about that, or something. 

35 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yeah, but the details are legit. I doubt if anyone was standing around with a camera when the original blast happened. That pic is probably from a Spanish movie about that, or something. 

This picture is the recreation of the blast in Marxist filmmaker Gillo Pontecorvo's movie Operacion Ogro (1978).

Bet it took a while to fix that road.

How an Assassination Helped Turn Dictatorship Into Democracy | Flashback |  OZY

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Historian said:

This picture is the recreation of the blast in Marxist filmmaker Gillo Pontecorvo's movie Operacion Ogro (1978).

Bet it took a while to fix that road.

How an Assassination Helped Turn Dictatorship Into Democracy | Flashback |  OZY

Yeah, that is a man-size hole. Thanks for looking that up. Merry Christmas.

9 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yeah, that is a man-size hole. Thanks for looking that up. Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas, my Friend.

I just had to look this.  If that was a real photograph i would have been most impressed.

Still.  I have to wonder when it went off...if they were not impressed with their handy work.  They set a car over the top of a building.

Adeyinka Makinde | Writer: Admiral Luis Carrero Blanco: Anatomy Of An  Assassination

"Juan....i think...it worked...."

• Haha 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Historian said:

Merry Christmas, my Friend.

I just had to look this.  If that was a real photograph i would have been most impressed.

Still.  I have to wonder when it went off...if they were not impressed with their handy work.  They set a car over the top of a building.

Adeyinka Makinde | Writer: Admiral Luis Carrero Blanco: Anatomy Of An  Assassination

"Juan....i think...it worked...."

They should be. That is a hell of a launch, not to mention timing the blast to go off directly under a moving car. Blanco had a frontrow seat to one spectacular. I bet he didn't even appreciate it. Pfft, dictators.

8 minutes ago, Eric said:

They should be. That is a hell of a launch, not to mention timing the blast to go off directly under a moving car. Blanco had a frontrow seat to one spectacular. I bet he didn't even appreciate it. Pfft, dictators.

From what i understand he died at a hospital shortly after re-entry.

• Haha 1

• Administrators
Just now, Historian said:

From what i understand he died at a hospital shortly after re-entry.

I'm amazed he survived the blast and landing. I wonder if he was conscious for the ride? It would have been a wild one.

18 minutes ago, Eric said:

I'm amazed he survived the blast and landing. I wonder if he was conscious for the ride? It would have been a wild one.

Well.  There's not much on the actual condition of the admiral.  Alive...but...still...that is some Wile E Coyote stuff right there.

Angry Wile E Coyote GIF by Looney Tunes - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Historian said:

Well.  There's not much on the actual condition of the admiral.  Alive...but...still...that is some Wile E Coyote stuff right there.

Angry Wile E Coyote GIF by Looney Tunes - Find & Share on GIPHY

I wonder if there was a ‘Free Birdseed’ sign on the road above the bomb?

22 minutes ago, Eric said:

Back when the Roadrunner cartoons were popular, I wonder if they helped or hurt the many companies actually named Acme?

A long time ago when i started in law enforcement i was also our department quartermaster.   We did not have a dedicated person.  So new guy got to clerk a little.

Anyway.   We issued Acme Thunderer whistles to everyone.

And naturally i had a page long complicated liability form that prevented us for being used from falling off cliffs, anvils to the head, particularly if you were involved with attempting to stop a road runner.

It got a lot of laughs.   Enough so it ended up in officer''s files.

https://www.amazon.com/ACME-NPB-Thunderer-Metal-Whistle/dp/B0000BY93O

There you go.  You can buy your own.

Edited by Historian
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Historian said:

A long time ago when i started in law enforcement i was also our department quartermaster.   We did not have a dedicated person.  So new guy got to clerk a little.

Anyway.   We issued Acme Thunderer whistles to everyone.

And naturally i had a page long complicated liability form that prevented us for being used from falling off cliffs, anvils to the head, particularly if you were involved with attempting to stop a road runner.

It got a lot of laughs.   Enough so it ended up in officer''s files.

I used to have some old Acme brand body hammers and dollies. I used them on a '68 GTX and a '69 Superbee, but I never got a chance to use them on a Roadrunner.

16 minutes ago, Eric said:

I used to have some old Acme brand body hammers and dollies. I used them on a '68 GTX and a '69 Superbee, but I never got a chance to use them on a Roadrunner.

Chuck Jones: Memories of Childhood:

“Since we had to search out our own entertainment, we devised our own fairy stories. If you wanted a bow and arrow, you got a stick. If you wanted to conduct an orchestra, you got a stick. If you wanted a duel, you used a stick. You couldn't go and buy one. That’s where the term acme came from. Whenever we played a game where we had a grocery store or something, we called it the ACME corporation. Why? Because in the yellow pages if you looked, say, under drugstores, you'd find the first one would be Acme Drugs. Why? Because “ac” was about as high as you could go. It means the best, the superlative.”

• Like 1