Betta fish diet

Ricordo

My daughter received a Betta fish as a present. Naturally, I'm the one that feeds and takes care of him. She takes to her mother who is an ardent supporter of Egyptian plants (no watering required).

It seems that Ravenclaw (RC, for short) is constantly hungry. One packet of pellets suggests feeding him what he is able to eat in two (2) minutes twice a day. That would be 10-12 pellets per serving. He's done that for a week after arriving.

An internet website says that that would be too much. And suggests 3-4 pellets per day, roughly the size of one of his eyes, supposedly the size of his stomach. Today is the second of day of him being on this diet. But every time I approach him, he goes straight to the area where I drop the pellets.

I don't want him overweight, I don't want him starving to death. If you are so kind, what is the correct amount of pellets per day to keep him healthy?

I usually have one,  but not right now.  (two-gallon tank and undergravel filter).  It's not hard to get four or five years out of one.

I feed them two of the tiny pellets about once per week.  They can easily go two or three weeks without anything.  Overfeeding is the quickest way to kill them.

I only like the full-flowing solid deep-red ones.  It'll take me a long while to find the perfect one,  which is obviously young.

(I recently saw that they've now bred them to glow under UV light.  I wanted to try one,  but they only have the stumpy frilly-frizzy ones. yuck.) 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

Problem solved.

Sushi.

Had a rough time gutting him. Tweezers did the trick.

There’s not enough meat on those things to bother with. I’d use it as a bait fish, to catch something worth grilling. :fishing:

• Haha 1