It's finally a winter wonderland

14 hours ago, pittpa said:

Ha, so do I, out by Harbor freight on the way to the airport.  But I always schedule late morning or early afternoon, 

Just put the snow tires on the Subaru Sunday. 

any Subaru wrx or Sti owners? | TigerDroppings.com

Darned nice recovery he did there; pretty elegant pass- apparently he didn't notice that patch of ice in the other lane.

I got about 15 inches of snow. Was about 25 below last week now it’s 38 above. Thinking of doing a weekend survival thing. Staying out in the woods with minimal gear.  Been something I’ve been thinking about for a while. 

59 minutes ago, Hook said:

I got about 15 inches of snow. Was about 25 below last week now it’s 38 above. Thinking of doing a weekend survival thing. Staying out in the woods with minimal gear.  Been something I’ve been thinking about for a while. 

Used to take the Scouts winter camping. They would work towards their 'Hundred Below Badge.' Get a point for every degree below freezing when they campout. Doesn't take long to get the badge at zero, but you better have good equipment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

Used to take the Scouts winter camping. They would work towards their 'Hundred Below Badge.' Get a point for every degree below freezing when they campout. Doesn't take long to get the badge at zero, but you better have good equipment. 

I’ve been thinking about this scenario for awhile I have some very good equipment but I want to try a minimal approach. I want to find a spot that I could leave my car within say a mile just in case. Just sort of a test myself kinda thing for a just in case type thing. Where did you guys camp? Did you build your own shelters? 

19 hours ago, Hook said:

I’ve been thinking about this scenario for awhile I have some very good equipment but I want to try a minimal approach. I want to find a spot that I could leave my car within say a mile just in case. Just sort of a test myself kinda thing for a just in case type thing. Where did you guys camp? Did you build your own shelters? 

We camped all over. Sometimes in tents, other times in show forts. Best one was sub zero out on Skilak Lake in snow forts. You could hear the ice cracking all night. No worry of falling in, it was several feet thick.

Edited by Walt Longmire
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

There's a van in the hotel parking lot with it's engine-block heater plugged in.

In South Carolina.

I had tenants in the apartment at my shop that would head out to the platforms for a 2 week hitch and leave both vehicles plugged in. I pay the electricity. I unplugged them. Idiots.