Stuff That Works...But You Didn't Trust

FullClip

Last week I fired up my Husqvarna leaf blower to do some yard work.  It started right up, ran OK for a few minutes then died like it ran out out of gas.  I checked if the tank was puling a vacuum, even changed the little filter on the end of the gas line inside the tank.  It kept doing the same thing, run OK then die. .  So I say, OK, time to rebuild the carb.

I go online and they have new carbs, not just the rebuild kit, but new units complete with fuel line, filter, primer bulb, tank grommet, and even choke lever for 20 bucks,so  I ordered one.

Arrived today, and took 15 minutes to bolt it on and get the blower back together.  I was worried because it has those stoopid tamper proof EPA screws on the high and low jets. (tuning a carburetor used to be like black magic,and separated men from the boys)

Primed the thing, it coughed on the 3rd pull, opened the choke, pulled again and away it went.  Ran good while I did some clean up and even managed to "blow dry" my squirrel "Twiggy". (she didn't enjoy it)

I still think it's amazing that you can buy a complete carburetor and fittings for 20 bucks and it actually works. 

Anybody else got another example of a pleasant surprise with "new" style things that actually work better than expected?? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FullClip said:

Anybody else got another example of a pleasant surprise with "new" style things that actually work better than expected?? 

Sure wish I did.  I've had to buy 2 Fridges, 2 garbage disposals, and 1 dishwasher in 20 years, while my Old, FIRST 25 year old Refrigerator is STILL crankin out in the garage!!!   So..."Good on you!!!" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swampfox762 said:

Sure wish I did.  I've had to buy 2 Fridges, 2 garbage disposals, and 1 dishwasher in 20 years, while my Old, FIRST 25 year old Refrigerator is STILL crankin out in the garage!!!   So..."Good on you!!!" 

Ha-Ha...all my appliances are more than 25 years old and work fine (knocking on wood).   The old Westinghouse fridge in the old camp is a 1950's version and still works....but dims the lights in the whole county when it kicks on.

• Haha 2

hell, i`m still amazed by Power Disc Brakes..

don`t even get me started on Power Steering.

i thought OLIGHT was a junk gimmick, push the Button a little you get a little light, push the button hard you got more light.

i bought the i3T EOS for $20 and put in a AAA battery and its still going strong and a great little light.

5 lumens is enough on low to do most of the stuff i just need some light for.

180 is enough to light up a room.

i Bought an Odin Weapon light for my AR and it was $80? with the Light, QD Mount, Pressure pad and charging cord push it for 2000 lumens (22.5K candela) and it kicks down for 1000 lumens

they are amazing products that i thought wouldn't work.

A couple of years ago, I bought a cheap Chinese knife, an exact copy of a Buck 110 for extra hard use. basically, a throw-away knife. Paid $15 for it new.

To my amazement, the thing has all parts fitting perfectly, and the blade holds an edge every bit as well as the $50 Buck.

Sometimes ya get lucky.