CZ's. Am I the only one in the world that doesn't get it?

Wishoot

For a period of time, I bought into the CZ hype.  At one point, I had 6.  Now I'm down to 1, a CZ82.  

They were reliable, and reasonably accurate, but there was something about them that just left me a little cold.  I couldn't find that special whatever that makes them so popular among other shooters.  I found that I seem to gravitate more towards Ruger, Glock, Browning and S&W.  

Anyone else out there that just can't understand the popularity of CZ's?

I don't see it. I've owned two of them, and sold two of them. Neither being the type you could buy today in most guns shops. The first was a CZ70. Nice sized little gun, but a da pull that you'd almost need to be Thor to fire. The second was a CZ52. Made fun fireballs, but you couldn't hit **** with it at 25 yards. 

I do have a third one, but don't consider it mine. It's quite crude, but it was something my Granddad brought home. That being a CZ27.

My Brother in law thinks highly of the 75, but I've never had a chance to shoot it. He says it's like the Beretta, only better. 

• Like 1

While I prefer Glock pistols because I am familiar with the manual of arms, I must admit that I have a fondness for the CZ-75 style pistol. 

While I don't own an actual CZ-75, I do own and frequently shoot a Tristar Canik C-100.  A Turkish clone of the CZ-75 Compact with a Cerakoated, alloy frame. For the price of $329 at Academy, I couldn't go wrong. It came with two 16-round magazines, and it is my understanding that CZ-75 magazines work just fine.

It has digested everything I have fed it with excellent accuracy.  While not my EDC, it is my favorite range pistol.

Different manual of arms, like a Browning Hi-Power or a 1911. 

Like I said, I am a Glock man, because I am most familiar with it. However, I thoroughly enjoy the Canik C-100 because it is so ergonomically correct to me. Much as I believe it's CZ-75 Compact cousin would be.

• Like 2

They fit my hand very well. That is their greatest characteristic for me. 

I'm a better shot with Glocks, I carry Glocks and own a few. My CZ's are range guns as I own several variants of the 75 as well. Great guns; to me, much better with a flat or slightly curved trigger though. 

Edited by arkdweller22
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 7:15 PM, GlocknSpiehl said:

I love my CZ82: easy to keep in target, easy to shoot, ergonomics similar to my G19 (relatively speaking), and I'm actually slightly more accurate with it than with my G19, by a Gnat's whisker. It is in my CCW rotation.

Totally agree about the 82.  I love that thing and I'll never get rid of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's what I know about CZ.  They have a good reputation for quality.

I was never a big fan of the Scorpion (though it is supposedly one of their more famous creations).

Wasn't the CZ 52 the original vest penetrator (65 years ago)?    7.62×25mm =  85 grain - 1580 fps - 483 ft lbs of energy -

I finally saw a CZ 75 at the range.  It was much smaller and more compact than I thought it would be. 

They own Dan Wesson. 

... and then I realized that my CZ 527 in 7.62X39 is sort of what he was talking about, Willis.  It's one of my cooler guns. It is accurate and cheap to shoot (since its chamber is optimized for steel case ammo).

cz527.jpg

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2017 at 11:28 PM, Jason D said:

The first was a CZ70. Nice sized little gun, but a da pull that you'd almost need to be Thor to fire. 

I like my CZ70 because of that heavy DA pull.  For concealed carry, they are almost impossible to

have a ND/AD, because of that long, hard pull.  A drawback to some, a feature to others, I guess.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have 12 CZ, including the CZ Scorpion EVO, the 527 Rifle, a number of 82 and 83, 32ACP, .380 and 9x18, a couple  Model 2075 RAMI 9mm pistols, the Model VZ-61 Scorpion 32ACP, etc.

All decent guns.

Of all my guns that I have and can choose for the "night stand gun", the Scorpion EVO is by the nightstand.

The only CZ stinker I've found is the couple CZ52.  They will fire when the hammer drop safety is activated. (and I have a hole clean through mu gun shop wall to prove it  :) )

Funny thing, when I bought the CZ 40 P I started shooting it as soon as I got home.

Right away it struck me,

"This thing really "points" naturally".

So I checked it out by shooting a couple targets with my eyes closed. 

(Something I do once in a while.  A few years ago I shot the who 50 rounds for the Texas Concealed Carry License with my eyes closed, and passed.  233/250 )

CZ 40P 10yds eyes closed.JPG

CZ 40P 10 yards eyes closed 2.JPG

Edited by M2 Carbine

• 3 months later...

I owned a CZ SP-01 until my youngest son moved out and I told him he could have one of my pistols for home defense. Kind of bummed, since it is a really nice pistol. I think that in terms of accuracy, reliability, and ergonomics, the CZ is the best of the DA/SA metal-framed pistol offerings today. I like Sig (I have a P220 and a P6). I like Berettas (I have a 92 Compact). But I think the CZs are better guns overall.

I did just purchase a CZ rimfire. I love mannlicher stocks on rifles, and wanted a less expensive gun/round for plinking out around 100 yards. So a CZ 455 FS in .22 Mag is coming home soon.

cz-usa-cz-455-fs.png

I wouldn’t say they are my favorite by any stretch of the imagination, but I think they are great guns. Everyone I have had or handled have been top notch. Do they do anything that a Glock won’t? Not really, unless you insist on an all metal gun with a hammer. That said, not many weapons feel better in the hand that the 75.

I can't imagine anyone not liking the CZ's.  I have a 9mm 75D and it and the 1935 Browning Hi Power are the only two handguns I have ever encountered that when picking them up and "fondling" them they immediately feel right.  Just about everyone I know feels the same way.  They both feel right in your hand, point naturally and are just very pleasant to shoot.  The 75 series and the Glock 19 both fit in the same holster, too.  I am pretty much a Glock fan (own 5) but I sure do like the CZ's.

• Haha 1

My first experience with CZ was when I traded into a CZ75 BD. It was a interesting gun but the trigger was really heavy and it did not fit any niche for me so I traded it for a Walther P99.

My second experience with CZ was winning a CZ P-07 9mm that took $100+ worth of CGW parts to make the trigger just above average, about the same as my bone stock Beretta PX4 or my well used S&W 6906. I found that with CZ there is pretty wide range of acceptable tolerances for internal parts, so triggers vary greatly from gun to gun. Currently trading it off.

My third experience with CZ was buying a Scorpion. Which also required aftermarket support to make it a good shootable platform. But I like it and will be keeping it around.

My fourth experience with CZ was buying a P10C. Which I expected to be amazing from all the hype but just ended up being pretty much the same gun as the M&P or APX or FNS or FN509  or [insert gun here] in a slightly different package. Did not stand out in any way to me. Traded it off.

All that being said I don't think CZ is a bad company and I think they make several good products. I do think they are often over hyped and adored by the "in crowd". Where they shine is in the competition arena where people are willing to spend $2000+ to make their gun just the way they want it. But to each his own. This is why there are so many gun companies, so we can all find what we love.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:36 PM, Appalachained said:

I've never owned a CZ handgun. I have a CZ 455 that shoot good. I have fired Two  CZ-75's. They're okay. My next gun will probably be a CZ Tactical Sport Orange though.

I've a 455 that did .16" 5-shot 50yard group once, but most likely 0.2" groups repeatedly with Eley Target ammo.  I went to the bolt gun when ammo prices were high.

Now, if I have the time to build a new one, I'd do a Kidd gun from coolguyguns.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, OV1kenobi said:

…..I do own and frequently shoot a Tristar Canik C-100.  A Turkish clone of the CZ-75 Compact with a Cerakoated, alloy frame. For the price of $329 at Academy, I couldn't go wrong. It came with two 16-round magazines, and it is my understanding that CZ-75 magazines work just fine.

…..

They don't sell those any more.  It's very accurate.  I mod'd mine to about 2lbs trigger.  At 50 yards, I can hit the 4" orange clay disc about 2 of 10 shots, the rest hits very near it.

Then I bought a P100 which is the same as C100 but all steel.  Also mod'd to 2lbs trigger.  Heavy.  I'm trying to sell that right now for $420.

My golden handgun is the CZ75 SP-01.  Sweetest trigger.  Rubber grip.  I can hit 4" orange clay disc at will, at 50 yards.  The best thing about it is that I can dump about 8 shots in just about 3 sec, all inside paper plate at 15 yards.  It doesn't have much recoil so it stay nearly the same for the next shot with a firm grip.  I've had g26, g17, g34 where none can do that, with me, so I sold them all.

I like the CZ platform.  Low recoil.  I sold my G20 and G29 in favor of an all-steel Witness Match Elite for 10mm.  Even for 10mm, the recoil stays lower than Glock's.  I reload my 10mm to fairly "hot", roughly 750 ft-lbs.  I had found that the g20 and g29 produced key holes on target with my reloads, bullets out of control.  But they would stay true with the Witness.

image1W.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

Edited by ModGlock17
  • Like 1

CZ makes so many types of firearms and model variants. So far I've been very happy with the reliability, performance and value of their guns I own. It's sometime hard finding a shop that carries the full line, at least in my area. 

The P-09 is currently used as my home defense gun. For me it's easy to hit target without much effort and has been extremely reliable.

17773838532_e7956b7927_b.jpg

I recently acquired the Shadow 2 and it an outstanding performing range gun. I did install a trigger kit from CGW that pushes this gun over the top.

27352002187_053e4e153a_b.jpg

The Scorpion EVO started as a pistol and was later coverted to a SBR. It's another wonderful gun by CZ.

23375262445_8596b0ee4b_b.jpg

33851229674_c4d38d461c_b.jpg

CZ also owns Dan Wesson and I've been very pleased with the few that I've owned.

21225871304_5de8731603_b.jpg

28251099302_932955c349_b.jpg