Loaning cash to your firends

38 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

i ask for Collateral, and Vigs are Adjusted to the Loan Amount, Payments are to be made on the First of the Month No Negotiations.

and i don`t like having to look for People.

Dad would instantly write a check,  with 1%, compounded monthly.  Sure Dad!  Great!

When I was mid-20's,  we (big brother and sister, too) found out that Dad had a ledger of every penny he ever loaned us.  (going back to when I dented his fender in high school).

Dad!?!  I owe $700/month in interest alone?  For the last ten years?!?

"Yep."

• Haha 2

i learned the hard way twice , never lend money to friends are family period . twice was my fault ,  i cut it off right there .  the last time family member deadbeat wanted 1,500 for bail 

i said did you do the crime ?   yep   then i said  you can keep your ass in jail  .   hes one of those i spoke of i would nt piss on to put out a fire .  

Edited by ASH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I once borrowed money from my father.  Once.

My sisters did all the time.

I got my problem settled and I wrote him a check (yes, it was good) for the full amount plus interest.

I thought of it as him doing me a favor and my obligation was to pay him back.

He cried.  I felt like ****.  I guess no one in the family had ever paid him back...............

I don't like to owe money to anyone.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I once borrowed money from my father.  Once.

My sisters did all the time.

I got my problem settled and I wrote him a check (yes, it was good) for the full amount plus interest.

I thought of it as him doing me a favor and my obligation was to pay him back.

He cried.  I felt like ****.  I guess no one in the family had ever paid him back...............

I don't like to owe money to anyone.

I borrowed like $1500 from my grandparents for EMT school back in the 1990s. Set up regular payments with them. About 3 months in, they canceled the loan, saying I proved I was good for it, and to consider us even. I guess the other family members that had borrowed money never even made an attempt to pay them back. 

They were successful business owners, and other family members looked at them as a piggy bank. Damn shame, man.

Glad that gene skipped me and you, J.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tadbart said:

I borrowed like $1500 from my grandparents for EMT school back in the 1990s. Set up regular payments with them. About 3 months in, they canceled the loan, saying I proved I was good for it, and to consider us even. I guess the other family members that had borrowed money never even made an attempt to pay them back. 

They were successful business owners, and other family members looked at them as a piggy bank. Damn shame, man.

Glad that gene skipped me and you, J.

The willingness to repay a debt is an exceptional quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Why did you want the newspaper in the first place.........

back then the paper  had actual  things to read worth while . i remember the sears add had rifle pics  and max hardware  had the same  .  lol

Edited by ASH
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I have a feeling you'd do the same. Folks like that rarely need to borrow money and hate to when they need to. Many of us were raised to think being in debt was a sign of failure. Some were raised to think the dieing in debt was a sign of outsmarting the devil. It's one of life's mysteries.

I hated being sent to the neighbors (not exactly next door in those days) to "BORROW" a cup of flour or sugar.

Just now, ASH said:

back then the paper  had actual  things to read worth while . i remember the sears add had rifle pics  and max hardware  had the same  .  lol

Just kidding.  I watched that movie with the kid wanting his route money.

I religiously read damn near everything in the newspaper until it got to politically bent.

51 minutes ago, ASH said:

i learned the hard way twice , never lend money to friends are family period . twice was my fault ,  i cut it off right there .  the last time family member deadbeat wanted 1,500 for bail 

i said did you do the crime ?   yep   then i said  you can keep your ass in jail  .   hes one of those i spoke of i would nt piss on to put out a fire .  

I know a few like that. I wouldn't piss on their face if it was on fire. Might try to put it out with an ax though.

1 hour ago, ASH said:

the last time family member deadbeat wanted 1,500 for bail

I knew a kid,  where the cops called his dad and asked if he wanted to bail him out.  His dad told them to take him to the nearest Army recruitment place.

We never saw him again.

(he robbed the gas station we worked at)

14 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I religiously read damn near everything in the newspaper until it got to politically bent.

I delivered the paper.  Got up at 4am for 75¢ / day.

(the jagoff with the afternoon paper made, like, $20 / day.)

Some of them housewives were never going to pay you.  It came out of my pocket.

I got them back with m-80's in the mailbox,  and halloweens, and stuff.

I cancelled my last newspaper subscription when Calvin & Hobbes retired.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, janice6 said:

hell now its bad  the only thing i look at is the obituaries   to see who died  the wife  reads it , im like you  to much moon bat bs   

Edited by ASH
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I delivered the paper.  Got up at 4am for 75¢ / day.

(the jagoff with the afternoon paper made, like, $20 / day.)

Some of them housewives were never going to pay you.  It came out of my pocket.

I got them back with m-80's in the mailbox,  and halloweens, and stuff.

I cancelled my last newspaper subscription when Calvin & Hobbes retired.

M-80's got the attention a lot of people needed. Seal Bombs were the next step up. After that I just used the dynamite the timber companies supplied us with. It's no wonder those things are regulated these days. Used to be able to buy 'stumping powder' at the hardware store.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, aomagrat said:

Family moochers are worse.  When they say borrow, I hear gimme.

Damn right they are. Back in May of 2007 I loaned a nephew $200. When I brought it up a year later he acted affronted that I would even doubt his willingness to pay it back. I haven't seen him since. 

In June of 2014 I loaned my cousin $120. Haven't seen much of her either. On the one hand I am pissed off at both. OTOH I can count it as money well spent so I don't have to see either POS.

Both can FOAD. No more Mr nice guy. If anyone else ever needs a loan they will have to give me collateral worth at least twice the loan amount with the agreement that it is mine after two weeks.   

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Why is it you loan your beggar buddies some cash and it always gets paid back in small bills? Never fails. Hand someone 100 dollar bills when they're in need, and when they finally (if ever) pay you back, it's in 5's 10' and 20's. What are you pal? A drug dealer?

Rant over.

And a variant of that is that they NEED the money all at once but want to pay back in dribbles. No more. Piss on all such cretins.

6 hours ago, 26isbest said:

Damn right they are. Back in May of 2007 I loaned a nephew $200. When I brought it up a year later he acted affronted that I would even doubt his willingness to pay it back. I haven't seen him since. 

In June of 2014 I loaned my cousin $120. Haven't seen much of her either. On the one hand I am pissed off at both. OTOH I can count it as money well spent so I don't have to see either POS.

Both can FOAD. No more Mr nice guy. If anyone else ever needs a loan they will have to give me collateral worth at least twice the loan amount with the agreement that it is mine after two weeks.   

You lucked out. I paid for a rebuild on the engine in my nephews truck. All while he was living (mooching) for free at my house. He sold the truck and left the state. When I bring it up, he gets offended. It was $2400 for the rebuild. BTW he now makes more money than me. 

• Sad 1

We once borrowed (a bunch of) money from my father-in-law (don't remember what for).  We had paid back a little bit,  when they came to visit the next year.  We were doing good by then.

He made a point of commenting on our stereo-stack (CD was new!).

I was so embarrassed, that I handed him a check, in full,  before they left.

• Thanks 1