Does Alcohol Go Bad? Yep, So Here's How Long You Have To Finish Off Your Favorite Booze

TBO

They say that alcohol causes deleterious effects on the brain.  I figure that since I have retired and my age is progressing nicely, some degradation in brain function will go unnoticed since I rarely use it now anyway.  So I decided not to worry about the long term effects, since physiologically I have no real long term prognosis based on statistical analysis.

So, thanks to the government's wise decision to keep people sequestered, while only allowing intermittent trips to the grocery store and the liquor store, I will see if I can make my brain last longer with my approach (commonly called "pickling"), then my body with the undertakers smelly and disgusting approach. 

Both techniques are an immediate solution to a present problem  of exceeding the statistical probability of my demise, so this last experiment will determine if the DIY approach is as good as the commercial one.  CHEERS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm going to disagree with the person who wrote this quite heavily.   I have unopened bottles of Scotch that are 40 years old.  If...and I say if...you open one...it will be fine.    Some of it may change over time.  Some of the alcohol may become the angel's share...but Scotch does not change much unlike a sweat sugary based rum.  That has limits once it is open.

As for beer I've aged dark stouts five and seven years.   in fact, once a year i drink a 4 year old Old Rasputin by North Coast.  One of my favorite beers of all time.   Usually on Christmas day.  Perhaps Christmas eve before mass.  Perhaps New Year's Eve.   It's a wonderful brew and it does age well although it may lose some carbination.

Wines...depends on what you have.  If you have a fine Cheteaux De Miss Right Now...then you might have two years.  But it may be a wonderful two years.  You may even brag about those two years. Buy you're not married to Ms. Right now.

At the same time a very fine wine can age for many years.  In fact, some become better as a result, such as a fine port turning tawny.   Or a rich Bordeaux that finds it's self more balanced and rich in depth.   I happen to have a love affair with Cote De Rhones.   With few exceptions they may not age well past 10 years.   On the other had i once enjoyed a 1938 bottle of port with an exceptional dinner.

When aging:  It's normal to lose some of those in the lot.   Even under the best of conditions.  Some bottles just won't age well.  Others will.

And as for the author's comments about vodka.  Please, maybe she's been sucking on some Siamese rice vodka (i'd rather go dry than drink that) but she just has not been exposed to something very nice.  Exceptional vodkas...one's that were not indifferently blended for the same of the masses.

https://www.oldliquors.com/

Take a tour...author.

and hold on to your purse.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/

Hell i had a 60 year old Calvados in Normandy, France, on the 60th anniversary of the landings.   Not more than 20 miles from Omaha Beach.

Any smoother it would have been the silk of a paratrooper's parachute.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Huski92 said:

I don’t need to worry about it going bad. It never around long enough for me to give it a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One does not simply swill with reckless abandonment...fine spirits.  ?

Others can be recklessly abandoned with indifference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1