Well, what about Second Tax Day?

gwalchmai

Today is April 15, what those of us who pay income taxes refer to as Tax Day (also my Mom's birthday, but that's another story). So my question to y'all is, are you going to file your taxes today or take advantage of what I'm going to call The Great COVID Weasle?

Me, I have my taxes done and the money allocated to pay the IRS (and a hefty chunk it is, too), but in deference to the Founders of our great nation I'm going to wait until the eleventh hour of July 15, because the President says I can. :supergrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have not been clear about exactly what was postponed to July 15. I know the cash payment deadline was moved, but don’t know whether the return filing deadline was also moved.

The regular automatic extension to October 15 covers the return filing itself, but cash payment of estimated remaining tax is due with the filing request for automatic extension.

And I don’t know whether any special form is required to accept the extended deadline. 

Oh... and I don’t know how this July 15 business affects penalty and interest when withholding and Quarterly estimated payments were massively less than the final tax as calculated. Form 2210 is used to calculate these. Good luck trying to research or download that form today. 

I owe! I owe!  So off to work i go!

Usually like to have my annual IRS involved rectal exam done early in the season.  That way i can spend the rest of the year recovering, if i am lucky.

I do a modest amount of contract work on the side.   The money is good.  The taxes wipe us out.

35 minutes ago, Historian said:

I owe! I owe!  So off to work i go!

Usually like to have my annual IRS involved rectal exam done early in the season.  That way i can spend the rest of the year recovering, if i am lucky.

I do a modest amount of contract work on the side.   The money is good.  The taxes wipe us out.

I just put 30% of everything into a separate savings acct. Usually taxes are a bit less than that so I wind up with a surplus (not to mention that big interest money...)

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

I just put 30% of everything into a separate savings acct. Usually taxes are a bit less than that so I wind up with a surplus (not to mention that big interest money...)

Sadly, my little side-gig....produces enough to help but not enough to really make it worth it more than being a hobby.   I try to do something similar to you...just not quiet as much of a percentage.  But let's just put it this way.  Anyone who works for themselves is basically screwed by the IRS.

• Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Historian said:

Sadly, my little side-gig....produces enough to help but not enough to really make it worth it more than being a hobby.   I try to do something similar to you...just not quiet as much of a percentage.  But let's just put it this way.  Anyone who works for themselves is basically screwed by the IRS.

spoken for troof . ive been corn holed so long  with taxes  my ass has got used to being sore .

47 minutes ago, ASH said:

spoken for troof . ive been corn holed so long  with taxes  my ass has got used to being sore .

Yeah.   I worked as a freelance copy editor for the New York Times for 10 years.   I loved the job.   The journalists i worked with thought i was an oddity because of my "day job."  But our editor liked me.  Maybe because we both liked good Scotch.  Maybe it's because i didn't bitch like some of the other professional journalists.

Anyway.  I loved working for the mullet wrapper and any other jobs they had me edit.  It was much fun.  I miss the job some days.  Getting two fresh papers with went ink direct from the press was fun.

But every year I'd get nailed in taxes because of it.  I made good money at that job.  But i was on my own for taxes.

Every year I'd do my taxes, pay my fines, and go buy a bottle of tax relief.

13 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Today is April 15, what those of us who pay income taxes refer to as Tax Day (also my Mom's birthday, but that's another story). So my question to y'all is, are you going to file your taxes today or take advantage of what I'm going to call The Great COVID Weasle?

Me, I have my taxes done and the money allocated to pay the IRS (and a hefty chunk it is, too), but in deference to the Founders of our great nation I'm going to wait until the eleventh hour of July 15, because the President says I can. :supergrin:

Don't give up your money until you are sure the holdup man is going to shoot!

• Haha 1

I'm sure we owe because the university screws up the withholding every year.  But I've been busy and haven't bothered to waste three days of work time in front of the computer cursing at the IRS yet.  I'll probably start on it tomorrow, unless the neighbor needs help shoveling horseshit, which is always more fun than doing taxes...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1