Mississippi family survives tornado inside concrete safe room

TBO

23 minutes ago, tadbart said:

That photo speaks volumes about home safety and engineering your home to fit the likely disasters you'll face. Well done, dude. Your family is not mourning the death of everyone in that home, because of forethought.

Let alone the power of that tornado.  Have mercy!

• Like 3

just WOW!  I'm sitting here in on top of a mountain in Tennessee real thankful the tornadoes earlier this week missed us, 'cause this house has no safe room and no basement... be going home to the hell that is MI tomorrow, where I can hide in my basement when I'm not protesting the governor's latest lunacy...

• Administrators

There was a tornado in Dallas a few years ago that hit a lot where a bunch of tractor-trailers and uncoupled trailers were parked. The tornado picked them up and tossed them everywhere. There was a 40' trailer found up in a tree, miles from the parking lot. Another trailer was thrown through the back of a house and came to rest against the house's front wall.

The thing that scares me about tornados isn't just the winds, but the things it throws. A hardened room would protect against the winds, but not against a car or truck or something thrown by those winds. I think that a below ground shelter is a lot better idea. I guess it isn't always a financial possibility though and if the tornado strikes with little warning, the inside room would be a better option. It is scary stuff, no matter how you slice it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eric said:

There was a tornado in Dallas a few years ago that hit a lot where a bunch of tractor-trailers and uncoupled trailers were parked. The tornado picked them up and tossed them everywhere. There was a 40' trailer found up in a tree, miles from the parking lot. Another trailer was thrown through the back of a house and came to rest against the house's front wall.

The thing that scares me about tornados isn't just the winds, but the things it throws. A hardened room would protect against the winds, but not against a car or truck or something thrown by those winds. I think that a below ground shelter is a lot better idea. I guess it isn't always a financial possibility though and if the tornado strikes with little warning, the inside room would be a better option. It is scary stuff, no matter how you slice it.

The ones I’ve seen advertised were geared toward houses on a slab, as a good option. Usually they were in the interior facing garage corner, by a load bearing wall.

I remember the pictures when I was a kid of, a 2x4 stuck in a tree trunk. The debris alone can do a lot of damage

Edited by Dric902